PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Chevrolet Malibu

pjl35
04-19-2011, 01:36 AM
Official. Looking good...although I'm not entirely sold on the rear. Interior turned out much better than I was expecting.

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2011/04/001-2013-chevrolet-malibu-ltz.jpg

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2011/04/002-2013-chevrolet-malibu-ltz.jpg

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2011/04/006-2013-chevrolet-malibu-ltz.jpg

more pics/press release:
http://www.autoblog.com/2011/04/18/2013-chevrolet-malibu-unveiled-ahead-of-shanghai-motor-show/#continued

mario_128
04-19-2011, 01:40 AM
Now that ive seen the whole interior im quite relieved, those air vents dont look nearly as bad as they did in the teaser

DoMiNo
04-19-2011, 01:56 AM
I disagree. I think the interior is atrocious. Cartoonish; everything's bulbous and pillowy. It just doesn't exude quality craftsmanship the way, say, the Regal's interior does, or even the Cruze's. There's something vaguely "Old GM" about it, if you ask me. And okay, GM, we get it, you like brown two-tone interiors. It's getting old. And the faux wood trim is as ghastly as it is inexplicably abundant! I mean...on the steering wheel, for god's sake?!

Thankfully, the exterior looks great. I'm even okay with the rear; there's an undeniable hint of Camaro from the rear 3/4. Very nice looking car, so long as it has large wheels.

63Bonneville
04-19-2011, 02:02 AM
It has a nice, aggressive stance, and nicely detailed, and, just as I had posted before, the wheelbase is shorter (SWB Epsilon2) but with more rear overhang, resulting in only 0.5" shorter, but, it's 3" wider, adding to the stance. The new 2.5L 4-banger has decent power, "over" 190HP and 180 pounds of torque, and word has it that it will get a turbo-4 as an upgrade, later on, after launch.

fou_bleu
04-19-2011, 02:54 AM
Well I won't lie, it is acceptable. The front I like a lot, but the side and rear are a bit... too Camaro-ish for a sedan IMO.

The interior, while innovative, looks yuck with the full vent look going across the middle. Also, the boring shape of the centre stack doesn't appeal to me - another win to Ford IMO.

DATSUN
04-19-2011, 03:01 AM
Wow, I actually like it more than I thought I would. It has a great stance and the shape, especially the rear, looks almost premium. The high output 4 cylinder is a nice touch as the Sonata/Optima prove that that is sufficient in most cases for this class.

Not too sure about the interior though, mainly the top portion of the center stack/AC vents..

boston
04-19-2011, 03:09 AM
OMG. Its got a Bangle butt.

pjl35
04-19-2011, 03:13 AM
another win to Ford IMO.

how does Ford win with the Fusion's out-dated and sad interior? just curious...

fou_bleu
04-19-2011, 03:15 AM
how does Ford win with the Fusion's out-dated and sad interior? just curious...

Who says I was meaning the Fusion? Ever heard of the Mondeo? ;)

pjl35
04-19-2011, 03:17 AM
Who says I was meaning the Fusion? Ever heard of the Mondeo? ;)

ha...my bad. i just assumed.

fou_bleu
04-19-2011, 03:19 AM
ha...my bad. i just assumed.

Considering you guys don't get the Mondy, I'll let you off! lol

Anyway, imagine what the 3rd gen Fusion will be like when it gets unveiled sometime this year?! Good bye Malibu! :P

Oz Astra
04-19-2011, 03:29 AM
I think it looks great and I love the two tone interior, although Im not a fan of the woodgrain. So much more interesting than an all black or grey interior

cowboysnkisses
04-19-2011, 06:28 AM
I think it looks great and I love the two tone interior, although Im not a fan of the woodgrain. So much more interesting than an all black or grey interior

I disagree. I'm with DoMiNo on this.. the brown two-tone looks tired, the fake wood even LOOKS fake at a distance, let alone close by or at the touch.. and the center stack / vents design is a bit too simple looking. I'm hope an all-black interior may tone it down and make it look a bit classier. The exterior is really, really nice though.

Quattro
04-19-2011, 07:38 AM
Over all, i like it, but that brown interior is vile! replace the brown with cream or beige leather and the black with dark blue (like the colour combo on the Porsche Panamera), it would like amazing!

Vormund
04-19-2011, 08:27 AM
Yeah I think people here need to look past this particular interior trim combo.

No idea why they picked it for unveiling photos, or even how this combination is actually going to market for that matter.

ocn75
04-19-2011, 02:24 PM
Apart from the questionable interior trim combo in these photos, the rear end and the bootline in particular looks awkward IMO.

JBlair
04-20-2011, 08:00 AM
The interior pictures are all illustrations. Granted, some parts are lifted from other vehicles, but you're not looking at a picture of an actual interior.

mick78
04-20-2011, 09:28 AM
I disagree. I'm with DoMiNo on this.. the brown two-tone looks tired, the fake wood even LOOKS fake at a distance, let alone close by or at the touch.. and the center stack / vents design is a bit too simple looking. I'm hope an all-black interior may tone it down and make it look a bit classier. The exterior is really, really nice though.

That sums up my impression very well. The exterior is looking very nice IMO, classy, and I like the touch of Camaro at the back.

THe interior, however, is a bit too much on that photo - even if I take out the horrible fake wood, the center console kind of looks like it was designed by some other guy - whilst the "go around air vent stripe" and some other touches have a subtle retro American feel, the center stack is pure Asian (well, basically smany will be built in Korea, so anyway), hopefully in versions with a tamer colour shceme and less surfaces at once it will look better....

Altogether this should still be a very nice car....

Blackraven
04-20-2011, 07:44 PM
Looks quite neat. Good job Chevy.

Btw, does this replace the Epica?

NoelleC
04-20-2011, 09:19 PM
Looks quite neat. Good job Chevy.

Btw, does this replace the Epica?

Yes, Chevy is going with the world car route.

turbonium959
04-21-2011, 03:52 PM
Yes, it is new. Yes, it is better than before, but not good enough.

Its only going to be fresh for a short while, and will start aging very fast. There is absolutely nothing that stands out on this car in a good way. It all has been done before, and has been done better.

JBlair
04-21-2011, 11:37 PM

Its only going to be fresh for a short while, and will start aging very fast. There is absolutely nothing that stands out on this car in a good way. It all has been done before, and has been done better.
I disagree. The midsize segment is essentially at a stand-still. Camry and Accord are certainly no better than this, the Fusion is old, the Sonata is still an unknown for many customers, and the rest of the players are almost irrelevant. Of all of those vehicles, the only one that matches this is the Sonata.

You want to know what the best selling car in America was last month? The Nissan Altima. A design that debuted in 2007 and has been only mildly facelifted since.

That right there says all you need to know. This new Malibu will do just fine, and it is certainly 'good enough' for the segment.

SV
04-22-2011, 12:45 AM
Autoblog has live pics:

Malibu Eco (http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2013-chevrolet-malibu-eco-new-york-2011/)
Malibu LTZ (http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2013-chevrolet-malibu-new-york-2011/)

I'll admit, I had my doubts about the shorter wheelbase, and the rear overhang is a bit big, but overall after looking at these live shots I've gotta say it looks damn good. Sharp, imposing, reasonably dynamic (the Camaro-pilfered lines help here) and expensive-looking. The red LTZ looks especially good with those tinted headlamps, which I don't think we saw in the press pics.

My only reservations about the exterior is that from some angles the nose looks a bit high, and I feel like in base trims it will look underwheeled. Otherwise, from what I've seen, I like it alot.

On the other hand, I'm not a fan of the interior. I can see what they were going for with that retro-ish spar across the dashboard, but it just looks busy, or as if a trim piece fell off. It's a real shame since I'm sure quality-wise it'll be as good as anything else in the class.

I completely disagree. The Malibu was already a good, competitive car, and the new model can only improve on that; plus I think redesigning it after just 4 or 5 years on the market (like Toyota and Honda would do) only emphasizes the fact that GM isn't resting on its laurels anymore like it used to.

DoMiNo
04-22-2011, 01:04 AM
I disagree. The midsize segment is essentially at a stand-still. Camry and Accord are certainly no better than this, the Fusion is old, the Sonata is still an unknown for many customers, and the rest of the players are almost irrelevant. Of all of those vehicles, the only one that matches this is the Sonata.

You want to know what the best selling car in America was last month? The Nissan Altima. A design that debuted in 2007 and has been only mildly facelifted since.

That right there says all you need to know. This new Malibu will do just fine, and it is certainly 'good enough' for the segment.

Not necessarily disagreeing, but...

Camry and Accord have been on the market since the 2007 and 2008 model years, respectively. That is to say, given their relatively short life cycles, that replacements for both are imminent. Don't forget, this is the 2013 Malibu; who knows what the competitive landscape will look like when it actually hits the market.
The Fusion is not that old. And is selling well.
I wouldn't call the Sonata "unknown," as it has outsold the Fusion handily and even the Altima, at times. Add to that the fact that it had one powertrain at launch (it will soon have three) and you have a formidable competitor indeed.
To add to the above, you completely neglected to mention the Optima. Which I think is safe to say has been very well-regarded thus far. And will share the Sonata's turbo and hybrid powertrains.
The Altima's great month was notable, but likely the result of heavy incentives.I'm not saying the new 'Bu won't be a terrific car--I really hope it sells well--but I think it's a little careless to say the segment is at a "standstill."

JBlair
04-22-2011, 02:32 AM
Not necessarily disagreeing, but...
Camry and Accord have been on the market since the 2007 and 2008 model years, respectively. That is to say, given their relatively short life cycles, that replacements for both are imminent. Don't forget, this is the 2013 Malibu; who knows what the competitive landscape will look like when it actually hits the market.
The Fusion is not that old. And is selling well.
I wouldn't call the Sonata "unknown," as it has outsold the Fusion handily and even the Altima, at times. Add to that the fact that it had one powertrain at launch (it will soon have three) and you have a formidable competitor indeed.
To add to the above, you completely neglected to mention the Optima. Which I think is safe to say has been very well-regarded thus far. And will share the Sonata's turbo and hybrid powertrains.
The Altima's great month was notable, but likely the result of heavy incentives.I'm not saying the new 'Bu won't be a terrific car--I really hope it sells well--but I think it's a little careless to say the segment is at a "standstill."

Well, at the moment it is. Yes, new competitors are coming, but who knows what they'll end up like. I would actually say one of the most anticipated cars of all of them will be the new Fusion.

Also, I didn't include the Optima, because its not a factor in the market yet. Kia just isn't shopped the same as the other brands, even Hyundai. Hell, I'd buy an Optima if I could, but I don't think the average consumer will.

SV
04-22-2011, 04:27 AM
Yeah, for whatever reason Kias are vastly outsold by their Hyundai equivalents, even though (IMO) they tend to be more attractive. My guess is the whole "Kia" thing is still an issue with less-informed (i.e. most) buyers.

swizzle
04-22-2011, 02:27 PM
Lordy! This segment is the opposite of a standstill. It's hotly contested. The Sonata has over time successfully shouldered its way into the CamCord club and the new one is selling nicely. The new Kia Optima is generating sales. The new Passat is probably VW's most significant new vehicle in decades. VW has everything it takes to shake up the segment and we will shortly see if they have done their homework right. Ford has been aggressive with the Fusion Hybrid and the next Fusion is likely to be a howitzer blast to the segment. There's never been a better time to buy in this class either currently or within the next 1-2 years. Throw in the Buick Regal at the upper end and this segment gets even more interesting.

DoMiNo
04-22-2011, 03:07 PM
Yeah, I'd forgotten about the new Passat as well. If VW's really serious, they will be marketing the hell out of it, as with the new Jetta.

Again, none of this is to say that the Malibu won't be a great competitor--I think it's stacking up to be just that--but let's be real; this is one of the fiercest (and most reputation-based) segments in the industry.

swizzle
04-23-2011, 01:51 AM
the new jetta is ubiquitous

DATSUN
04-23-2011, 03:42 AM
The new Camry and Altima are supposed to debut this year and a new Mazda 6 is not far off, as well. If I was GM the new Malibu would've been out by late this summer. It seems like a great car but I highly doubt the competitors are sitting on their tails having seen what Hyundai/Kia has done in the segment engineering/design wise and more importantly sales wise with their new models.

Naga Royal Guard
04-24-2011, 01:35 PM
Calling this segment a standstill is a rather desperate excuse for perceived shortcomings of a product yet to be tested. The luminous green Listerine interior accents do little to dissuade the rental-car Aura of this car while ubiquitous glossy and fake metal and wood highlights are equally insulting. They slammed the panic button here and the result is not only inelegant but grossly unimaginative.

omoderncultureo
04-02-2012, 04:53 AM
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7238/7037476715_8053a3a9cf_c.jpg

More Photos (http://www.flickr.com/photos/upcomingvehiclesx/sets/72157629543618195/)

TdeV
04-02-2012, 05:31 AM
Wow... the Fusion is going to slay this market.

Chevy did a good job trying to make the Malibu fresher, but it's not there yet.
This car seems to only suit people over the age of 55 exclusively.

2o6
04-02-2012, 06:22 AM
Wow... the Fusion is going to slay this market.

Chevy did a good job trying to make the Malibu fresher, but it's not there yet.
This car seems to only suit people over the age of 55 exclusively.

Eh, the Ford products seem to be style over substance.

MBsam
04-02-2012, 06:52 AM
Eh, the Ford products seem to be style over substance.

Do they? In what way? By being the first mainstream sedan to be offered in ICE, Hybrid, and Plug-in at the same time? Or perhaps for getting the best hybrid fuel economy of the entire segment? No, they seem to be much more substance than just style.

2o6
04-02-2012, 07:16 AM
Do they? In what way? By being the first mainstream sedan to be offered in ICE, Hybrid, and Plug-in at the same time? Or perhaps for getting the best hybrid fuel economy of the entire segment? No, they seem to be much more substance than just style.

Fusion isn't out yet, so no actual judgement can be made.

Fiesta looks good but space an and perfornance numbers are not as good as many conpetitors.

Focus also looks good, but the automatic transmission isnt very good and interior space is also short.

Ecoboost Explorer has been panned hard, and the Explorer yet again is smaller inside than it should be.

Taurus physically huge, but comparatively small inside.

effew
04-02-2012, 09:28 AM
Look at all the plastic wood in there...

I wonder if this tail light setup shows what's in store for the c7 vette...

Looks like they wanted the front end to look like a BMW knock off with a bowtie?

afterace
04-02-2012, 11:33 AM
I wonder, how the price in Europe will relate to Insignia? What engines are they planning for Europe anyway? This does looks quite decent, but Chevrolet have a lot of stigma to overcome here first in order to compete in this segment.

mario_128
04-02-2012, 01:38 PM
Is this car ever getting launched?

swizzle
04-02-2012, 02:02 PM
Car and Driver did a test of the sedans in this segment and put the Malibu dead last for have a bad drivetrain (the Eco mild hybrid thing that did not improve MPG) and having a cramped back seat despite being as large as the other cars in the segment. The Sonata/Optima pair beat it and the Camry. The Passat beat them all with the accord under it.

Allegro
04-02-2012, 03:11 PM
IMO - that bowtie on the front is far too large.

SV
04-02-2012, 03:15 PM
Fusion isn't out yet, so no actual judgement can be made.

Fiesta looks good but space an and perfornance numbers are not as good as many conpetitors.

Focus also looks good, but the automatic transmission isnt very good and interior space is also short.

Ecoboost Explorer has been panned hard, and the Explorer yet again is smaller inside than it should be.

Taurus physically huge, but comparatively small inside.

If by substance you only mean interior space, then sure. The Fiesta and Focus are still among the best in their classes in terms of handling, NVH and fuel economy, though, so I'd say they make up for their cramped backseats. I'm not sure where the Ecoboost Explorer has been "panned" other than Motor Trend, who seems to have a special irrational hate for that car (I wonder if Ford's been singy with their advertising money lately).

Some judgement can be made concerning the Fusion seeing as Ford have released a pretty comprehensive spec sheet:

http://media.ford.com/images/10031/2013_Fusion_Specs.pdf

More interior space and legroom than the old car, as well as a carryover (non-Powershift) automatic transmission. It's actually got more legroom than the Taurus. So I doubt substance will be a problem with this car.

2o6
04-02-2012, 08:21 PM
If by substance you only mean interior space, then sure. The Fiesta and Focus are still among the best in their classes in terms of handling, NVH and fuel economy, though, so I'd say they make up for their cramped backseats. I'm not sure where the Ecoboost Explorer has been "panned" other than Motor Trend, who seems to have a special irrational hate for that car (I wonder if Ford's been singy with their advertising money lately).

Some judgement can be made concerning the Fusion seeing as Ford have released a pretty comprehensive spec sheet:

http://media.ford.com/images/10031/2013_Fusion_Specs.pdf

More interior space and legroom than the old car, as well as a carryover (non-Powershift) automatic transmission. It's actually got more legroom than the Taurus. So I doubt substance will be a problem with this car.

We will have to see when it comes out.

DoMiNo
04-02-2012, 09:15 PM
I've been seeing these on the road lately, and can confirm that the front end, while decently attractive, looks about 125% sized relative to the rest of the car. The wheels, on the three or four that I've seen thus far, have all looked tiny.

2o6
04-03-2012, 06:17 AM
I've been seeing these on the road lately, and can confirm that the front end, while decently attractive, looks about 125% sized relative to the rest of the car. The wheels, on the three or four that I've seen thus far, have all looked tiny.

I have seen a couple, and I agree. The car looks goofy in profile, it needs more wheelbase and less wheel gap.

swizzle
04-03-2012, 02:44 PM
There around here too and they look so much like the last Malibu that at first you don't realize it's the new one. The other brands in the segment are no doubt thanking GM for blunting the Malibu's momentum.

omoderncultureo
07-24-2012, 09:07 AM
Holden Malibu:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8287/7635604090_5b26090160_c.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7108/7635603398_e9c541ba95_c.jpg

Link (http://www.flickr.com/photos/upcomingvehiclesx/sets/72157630724946252/)

Naga Royal Guard
07-24-2012, 12:51 PM
There around here too and they look so much like the last Malibu that at first you don't realize it's the new one. The other brands in the segment are no doubt thanking GM for blunting the Malibu's momentum.

worked well enough for the camry

swizzle
07-24-2012, 02:25 PM
worked well enough for the camry

True enough. The culture of low expectations works for Toyota, so therefore it must be good.

caarmike
12-04-2012, 01:19 PM
Soft sales, poor reviews. Time to pull a Honda.

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20121203/OEM03/312039958#ixzz2DzacgDZa

At least they're not promising anything "dramatic".

swizzle
12-04-2012, 02:50 PM
They went from the last Malibu which had a positive vibe and singlehandedly erased the memory of the crapstorm that preceded it to this one where they got every move wrong. The platform got smaller--not good--and the styling was too generic. The mild hybrid is worthless. GM is not out of the woods yet and they cannot afford to have the Malibu be this lackluster. Instead of a mild refresh (grafting the Traverse grille on), they need a full rethink/reskin because buyers are not blind to the better alternatives elsewhere.

2o6
12-04-2012, 04:54 PM
The car's interior space IMO is the downfall. The New Malibu is a head-over-heels better car than the old one, but it loses out in key areas (rear seat room) to consider it a real midsizer.

mick78
12-04-2012, 04:57 PM
The car's interior space IMO is the downfall. The New Malibu is a head-over-heels better car than the old one, but it loses out in key areas (rear seat room) to consider it a real midsizer.

Well, IMO ot also does look a bit unlucky from various angles, it does seem to me like a case of great designer idea kind off lost in the process of produtionistion. I can see where the designers were aiming, and it works form certain angles. However, from certain others, it doesn't.

Personally I'm also not a fan of the rather busy interior.

2o6
12-04-2012, 04:59 PM
Well, IMO ot also does look a bit unlucky from various angles, it does seem to me like a case of great designer idea kind off lost in the process of produtionistion. I can see where the designers were aiming, and it works form certain angles. However, from certain others, it doesn't.

Personally I'm also not a fan of the rather busy interior.

I think the interior looks and feels near the top of the class inside. (i also work at a Chevy dealer, so I am a bit biased).

mick78
12-04-2012, 05:05 PM
I think the interior looks and feels near the top of the class inside. (i also work at a Chevy dealer, so I am a bit biased).

I haven't been in one personally yet (European sales have just started). But I'm sure it feels good, already the simpler Cruze and Orlando interiors have a nice quality feel (even if made mostly from hard plastics). It's just that the design in the Malibu seems a bit "too much" for me. But that's personal taste...

2o6
12-04-2012, 05:12 PM
I haven't been in one personally yet (European sales have just started). But I'm sure it feels good, already the simpler Cruze and Orlando interiors have a nice quality feel (even if made mostly from hard plastics). It's just that the design in the Malibu seems a bit "too much" for me. But that's personal taste...

From what I've noticed, a lot of older people at the dealership I work at (who bought the old Malibu) don't like the newer one because it looks too complicated. They're saving a few dollars and buying Cruzes.

anonms
12-04-2012, 06:33 PM
Someone in my neighborhood got one; I didn't see the interior, but the exterior of the previous one was much cleaner and nicer. There's some odd angles on the new one, and those taillamps..... oh boy.

swizzle
12-05-2012, 01:55 AM
The interior on it has Pontiacitis. Pontiac used to have ridiculous interiors and the Malibu was clearly done by the same people. I'm a mild fan of VW, but the one thing VW does right is interiors. They are simple, logical, and tend to look at least like they are made with quality.

Crash
05-31-2013, 05:16 PM
Wow - looks like Chev just got in the game on midsized!

In pictures I thought the 2013 was 'ok at best' - but in person, it's handsome.

The 2014 though looks pretty amazing. Not in the same way as the Optima or Fusion (those are more agressive / sporty focused) - this seems more like the girl next door that was pretty hot.

It pains me to applaud them - but well done boys.

*rolls head / looks at Honda* - THIS is how an emergency refresh should be executed....

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/05/31/2014-chevrolet-malibu-get-more-torque-more-room-and-inspiration/

anonms
05-31-2013, 06:27 PM
I disagree; I don't think this changed enough. I had to actually think about it to realize that something about the nose had changed, and I honestly think the new grille actually looks even more awkward.

IcedG35
05-31-2013, 06:29 PM
Wow - looks like Chev just got in the game on midsized!

In pictures I thought the 2013 was 'ok at best' - but in person, it's handsome.

The 2014 though looks pretty amazing. Not in the same way as the Optima or Fusion (those are more agressive / sporty focused) - this seems more like the girl next door that was pretty hot.

It pains me to applaud them - but well done boys.

*rolls head / looks at Honda* - THIS is how an emergency refresh should be executed....

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/05/31/2014-chevrolet-malibu-get-more-torque-more-room-and-inspiration/

the Fusion was definitely a game changer for the American companies. this is a decent stopgap.

pjl35
05-31-2013, 06:32 PM
i disagree, this refresh looks like a joke. front end looks worse now and no changes to the awkward rear? come on, Chevy.

Nicktyelor
05-31-2013, 06:39 PM

Really?? It got a funky new nose, NO changes to the arguably WORST area of the car (the rear), and a few shifting pieces inside. The aesthetic changes are pointless IMO. It's the slight increase in power and mpg that are more interesting.

SV
05-31-2013, 07:48 PM
I was hoping for more changes to the dash (getting rid of those weird spars mainly) and different taillights. Still, it's certainly more distinctive than before, and that's really the main problem with the Malibu which is a very nice car otherwise.

The front end also looks better in person:

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/05/31/2014-chevy-malibu-photos-impressions-reveal/

against the wall
05-31-2013, 08:26 PM
i dont think they did nearly enough to turn sales around.

swizzle
05-31-2013, 09:31 PM
The face got WORSE than before. They need to move to using the Traverse's grille.

pjl35
05-31-2013, 09:47 PM
The face got WORSE than before. They need to move to using the Traverse's grille.

this is what i really don't understand. why bother putting it on the traverse facelift and the impala, only to keep the crossbar on the malibu?

Crash
06-01-2013, 01:59 AM
Personal opinions I guess ... More pic's at autoblog....

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/05/31/2014-chevy-malibu-photos-impressions-reveal/

effew
06-02-2013, 01:50 AM

IMO they need to completely redesign the front end of their cars, the problem with the current designs is that they look too generic and nothing stands out as unique. If chevy didn't have the Corvette or Camaro, as far as their cars go, they wouldn't really even have a Brand identity (again IMO).

Getting rid of pontiac was their biggest mistake (unfortunate that it was necessary), at least with pontiac the styling had character.

mHawk
06-02-2013, 03:02 AM
It looks wrong and the new front fascia looks awkward. The pre-facelift Malibu looked fine as it was IMHO and I am a big fan of the rear of the Malibu because those tail-lamps looks really nice. So I wonder whether Australia will be getting this facelifted version of the Malibu or the pre-facelifted one since it will be launching here in Australia soon.

sn1572
06-02-2013, 05:35 AM
I like the front end, it definitely looks more aggressive. However, I cannot understand why they have shifted from the electronic parking brake to a manual hand brake.

The central console was clearly designed for an electronic parking brake and the hand brake seems to be out of place, on the passenger side, like it would be in a right-hand drive car and - I imagine - not exactly practical.

At least now one can drift with a Chevrolet Malibu...

DATSUN
06-02-2013, 10:04 PM
I actually like the changes. We have to remember this is a quick fix, not a proper mid-cycle refresh. They addressed consumers' main issues. Only gripe I really have with this car is that ugly dashboard. The tacky rounded top on the center stack and the dust collector that goes across the entire dash.

That being said, there are still clearly better options on the market. At least they'll be better suited to compete.