PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Lancer SE AWD for U.S.

evomk8
08-29-2011, 05:18 AM
4 years after Japan, the U.S. will finally get an AWD Lancer powered by an NA engine and price at around $20k (rather than the $27k one has to fork over for a RalliArt):

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=%2F20110808%2FOEM01%2F308089977%2F1117

Per Twitter Mitsubishi has confirmed that the car will be out fitted with the 2.l engine and only available with the CVT (boooo!).

http://twitter.com/#!/mitsucars
Mitsubishi Motors
@4G63_Trav Sry for the late response. 2012 Lancer SE will be 2.4lt CVT, no manual. RT @mitsucars
18 Aug

Finally, Mitsubishi is also changing the trim designation for the GTS to GT starting with the 2012 model year.
http://www.mitsubishicars.com/media/owners/pdf/12VINs.pdf

Superamerica
08-30-2011, 04:13 AM
I expect at least a major design update. The current model has been a disappointment since its inception.

DoMiNo
08-30-2011, 05:17 PM
I think the real shocker here is that the Ralliart Lancer costs $27,000. No wonder I've never seen one on the road.

evomk8
08-30-2011, 10:37 PM
@superamerica - nope no major update for 2012. However, the interior is rumored to get soft touch accents similar to those found in the Outlander Sport (i.e. dash and upper door). And lets face it, ANY upgrade to the Lancer's interior is a good thing (now if they would just swap out the Fisher Price HVAC controls too).
Other than that, I'd have to say that in GTS guise, the Lancer is actually a very good drivers car for the money. I own a 2010 Mazda 3 (5-door S Sport) and in my humble opinion, the Lancer GTS actually drives better and is more rewarding to drive. However, the Mazda 3's interior is light-years better and I'm getting older... :-/

@Domino - Yeah $27k is too high, even though you do get the dual-clutch gearbox and the Evo 9's AWD system. Given that at a lower price point you can have the more powerful WRX, its no wonder these aren't selling well. I still don't understand why they didn't throw the Evo 9's 6-speed manual in there since they were already raiding the parts bin...

spwolf
09-05-2011, 01:38 PM
@superamerica - nope no major update for 2012. However, the interior is rumored to get soft touch accents similar to those found in the Outlander Sport (i.e. dash and upper door). And lets face it, ANY upgrade to the Lancer's interior is a good thing (now if they would just swap out the Fisher Price HVAC controls too).
Other than that, I'd have to say that in GTS guise, the Lancer is actually a very good drivers car for the money. I own a 2010 Mazda 3 (5-door S Sport) and in my humble opinion, the Lancer GTS actually drives better and is more rewarding to drive. However, the Mazda 3's interior is light-years better and I'm getting older... :-/

@Domino - Yeah $27k is too high, even though you do get the dual-clutch gearbox and the Evo 9's AWD system. Given that at a lower price point you can have the more powerful WRX, its no wonder these aren't selling well. I still don't understand why they didn't throw the Evo 9's 6-speed manual in there since they were already raiding the parts bin...
i have been in european ralliart and it had high quality interior with stiched leather on the dash, etc... looked pretty good overall.. very nice car.

Blackraven
09-05-2011, 06:09 PM
Agreed with Mitsubishi Lancer (CZXX series). This 10th generation builds upon what its predecessors have accomplished and this is proof that Mitsubishi is a solid carmaker.

Gone are the dark days of Mitsubishi Motors (especially the dreaded FUSO recall which they tried to cover up).

In fact, as good as the Subaru Imprezza family is, I'd take the Lancer family (including EVO X) over the Subarus first. :)

Naga Royal Guard
09-05-2011, 06:28 PM
Mitsubishi (and Suzuki) have no presence in the NA market - nor do they show much if any interest in earning any.

I cant believe that horrible eclipse design is still in production.

evomk8
09-05-2011, 08:25 PM
Mitsubishi (and Suzuki) have no presence in the NA market - nor do they show much if any interest in earning any.

I cant believe that horrible eclipse design is still in production.

I agree that both Suzuki and Mitsubishi have a rather limited presence in the US.
However, Mitsubishi has committed to retooling the Normal IL plant to build the Outlander Sport staring in 2012 (replacing the Eclipse, Eclipse Spyder, Endeavor, and Galant). It is currently their best-seller and slated to receive a plug-in hybrid-electric version as noted here: http://www.carspyshots.net/showthread.php?t=20179

Let's not forget that car makers like Hyundai, Kia, and even Subaru started with less than 1% market share here. It took all three of those companies a good 6 years to get to the sales levels they are at now. Both benefited from the boom years of 2002 through 2008 to do so. Mitsubishi had the recall in scandal in 2000 (so did Subaru in 1997, but for some reason that was much less publicized) and was grossly mismanaged by Daimler.
Mitsubishi is a capable manufacturer pioneering innovations like; mass production gasoline direct injection engines (1996), 5-valve per cylinder engines (1989), a distance/lane-keeping system that tracked lanes and the car ahead using a set of radar and camera (1992), active electronically controlled suspension (1987), an electronically controlled active trace & traction control system called TCL (1990), and more recently the worlds' first application of variable valve timing to a passenger diesel engine with an aluminum block and a very low compression ratio of 14.9:1 (2010).

P.S. - The Eclipse has ceased production, although only about a week ago. Many would argue that the "true" Eclipse died with the 2nd generation in 1999.

pjl35
09-05-2011, 10:35 PM
I agree that both Suzuki and Mitsubishi have a rather limited presence in the US.
However, Mitsubishi has committed to retooling the Normal IL plant to build the Outlander Sport staring in 2012 (replacing the Eclipse, Eclipse Spyder, Endeavor, and Galant). It is currently their best-seller and slated to receive a plug-in hybrid-electric version as noted here: http://www.carspyshots.net/showthread.php?t=20179

Let's not forget...their "best" seller still doesn't stand for much. It's their best seller because they've killed their other vehicles by never updating them...and none of them sell basically at all.

evomk8
09-06-2011, 12:18 AM
Let's not forget...their "best" seller still doesn't stand for much. It's their best seller because they've killed their other vehicles by never updating them...and none of them sell basically at all.

There is no doubt that the US built models (Eclipse, Eclipse Spyder, Endeavor, and Galant) were relegated to extinction by 2007 and should have been discontinued two years ago (at the latest).

The Outlander Sport may not be a class leading segment benchmark, but it is a competent vehicle when compared to the true direct competition (i.e the Kia/Hyundai Tuscon/Sportage, Nissan Juke, and Mini Countryman). The Hyundai/Kia are bigger and heavier, have a more powerful 2.4l engine to deal with the weight, and offer more cargo room but get slightly lower fuel economy. The Juke is noticeably smaller and performance biased and according to some long-term testing gets so-so gas mileage (may well be due to drivers enjoying the turbo). ;-)
The Mini has a higher cost of entry and also has less space than the Outlander Sport. I excluded the Tiguan due to its $4000 higher entry price.

I've test-driven all of the above and would choose none of them for various reasons. There are several new models coming to this small CUV segment which can only be good for competition and the consumer: Mazda CX5, Ford "Vertrek", Subaru "XV", and others.