PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Subaru Impreza

mick78
04-06-2011, 08:21 PM
First official pic:

http://media.autoweek.nl/m/m1gy2j5bab1k_800.jpg

http://www.autoweek.nl/autonieuws/16395/Officieel-nieuwe-Subaru-Impreza

No much otehr info than that it will be shown in New York.

Better looking than the previous sedan and the Legacy, but to me it doesn't look very outstanding or impressive, but a bit bland. A bit liek a Toyota Cruze would look like....

Ascariss
04-06-2011, 08:31 PM
Not bad, has a mazda 3 sedan like vibe in some parts, looking forward to see the full car.

against the wall
04-06-2011, 08:33 PM
looks like the offspring of a Cruze and the current Impreza

TdeV
04-06-2011, 08:57 PM
So far, it looks pretty bland to me. Reminds me of the 2012 Civic.

DATSUN
04-06-2011, 09:03 PM
Huge improvement so far. Interested to see the full reveal.

DoMiNo
04-06-2011, 09:47 PM
Good lord; the Toyotification continues. Looks fat, under-wheeled, utterly forgettable. I can't understand why, with the Corolla already king of the narcolepsy-inducing non-styled appliance crowd, Toyobaru wouldn't want to make the Impreza a more stylish car to appeal to more extroverted buyers. Seems to me like that would be a smarter strategy than just creating two equally beige-tastic vanilla beans to occupy the same crowded segment.

ElementW
04-06-2011, 10:15 PM
The current Impreza premiered with nasty comments calling it bland. But in the end it turned out to be one of the best looking of its class. Maybe it will be the same this time too, though the Cruze-like silhouette is not exactly promising.

Comrade
04-06-2011, 10:40 PM
The current Impreza premiered with nasty comments calling it bland. But in the end it turned out to be one of the best looking of its class. Maybe it will be the same this time too, though the Cruze-like silhouette is not exactly promising.

Huh? I missed that newsflash. It's still pretty bland IMO.

SV
04-06-2011, 10:49 PM
It looks decent enough. The surfacing and especially the headlights don't appear to be as head-smackingly appalling as the Legacy's, and compared to the current Impreza, which is too smooth to the point of looking melted, this looks much crisper and neater. It has an odd stance, though, with those fat arches and an oddly compressed-looking suspension conspiring to make the wheels look overwhelmed.

The concept and current Impreza for comparison:

http://www.mitayani.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Subaru-Impreza-Concept-photos-625x416.jpg
http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/6128/2008subaruimpreza4doora.jpg

But in the end it turned out to be one of the best looking of its class.

Despite what I said earlier, the current Impreza's looks have grown on me alot. Still, I wouldn't go that far...

IFa
04-06-2011, 11:17 PM
The design is uninspiring to say the least. But why does it have to look so plasticky, no?

against the wall
04-06-2011, 11:21 PM
thanks for the comparo pic between the concept and the production. Judging from the side, it looks like the only major changes are a conventionalized roofline and productionized overhangs/bumpers. Pretty amazing how much those two things can ruin the look of a car lol

Vormund
04-06-2011, 11:31 PM
I said this in the concept thread, but this only looks as modern as the current mazda3 at best.

That said, the overall proportions are good and I'd like to see the WRX.

Despite what I said earlier, the current Impreza's looks have grown on me alot. Still, I wouldn't go that far...

I agree.

mario_128
04-06-2011, 11:48 PM
My main issue is, is that the car looks fine, but because of the stunning concept last year it now looks vanilla, Hopefully the front looks good, But why subaru would you reval a car in maroon?? WTF

DATSUN
04-07-2011, 05:49 AM
My main issue is, is that the car looks fine, but because of the stunning concept last year it now looks vanilla, Hopefully the front looks good, But why subaru would you reval a car in maroon?? WTF

Lol. I was wondering the same thing.

Superamerica
04-07-2011, 07:46 AM
The side profile looks good. I'm looking forward to seeing the front and rear ends. Being a Subaru, I'm sure it will be solidly built.
Yes, the overall design does disappoint in relation to the concept. But the WRX STi version should take care of that. ;)

fou_bleu
04-07-2011, 09:55 AM
It certainly is an improvement, but I still don't see what all the fuss is about over the current model? I mean, yes it's way bland, but it's still nice to look at nonetheless…

ocn75
04-07-2011, 01:12 PM
A slight letdown compared to the concept, but still clean and attractive nonetheless. Definitely a huge improvement over the polarising current model.

AXIS
04-07-2011, 03:21 PM
So Subaru goes after the auto industry with their mediocrity ad campaign (http://www.autoblog.com/2010/10/05/subaru-launches-2011-mediocrity-marketing-campaign-w-video/), Yet they have the nerve to tout this as the new Impreza. LMFAO! People who live in glass houses really shouldn't throw stones.

swizzle
04-08-2011, 12:32 AM
Corolla with a Subaru engine???

PRODIGY
04-08-2011, 12:39 AM
I remember my jaw hitting the flaw when I 1st saw the current Impreza pics on here. I couldn't believe how Subaru could get a front end so wrong. It has grown on me, thanks in part to the chrome grille being dropped and the fat arches of the STi.

This new version hasn't had the same impact, though Subaru may well have beaten the front with an industrial sized ugly stick. It looks clean and tidy if somewhat bland. But as others have mentioned it will be a perfect base pallet for the hot STi versions, and the hatchback will hopefully be a looker. Still, I don't understand why they would show a concept that looked pretty much production ready and then show us this.. in maroon... in poverty spec... :nono:

turbonium959
04-08-2011, 09:23 PM
Very dissapointing looks. Can someone please start photochoping the STI version, as this is unbearable.

I can only image how badly Subaru is going to mess up the upcoming coupe.

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2011/04/01-2012-subaru-impreza-spy-shots.jpg

more from Autoblog

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/04/08/spy-shots-2012-subaru-impreza-shows-its-face/

cowboysnkisses
04-08-2011, 09:38 PM
my first impression is "child of 2012 civic and legacy". corolla-boring.

pjl35
04-08-2011, 11:26 PM
very cobalt-like upfront as well.

SV
04-09-2011, 02:52 AM
I don't think it looks bad at all. I can see how they made the headlights similar to the Legacy's, but they're vastly better executed here. The combination of those headlights and the new corporate grille (which I also like) gives the front end a strong resemblance to the Chevy Cruze, though. And the rear end, while decent, is not as interesting as the concept's, with a much more conventional rear bumper.

Overall though I'm pleasantly surprised; it's bland, sure, but it's not hideously ugly like the current Legacy or awkward like some past Imprezas (...and the current Legacy). I look forward to seeing the interior, which has hopefully gotten a bit of a materials upgrade.

Vormund
04-09-2011, 06:10 AM
I don't mind it actually. Of course it needs big wheels though to finish the package. :D

A WRX with a lip spoiler (not a horrible shopping cart wing) would look pretty good methinks.

ocn75
04-09-2011, 01:20 PM
The front looks archaic and the back looks awkward. Huge letdown.

disap.ed
04-09-2011, 01:42 PM
I can't believe they messed the Impreza up as much as the Legacy. The current Impreza isn't the prettiest car in the world but the front still looks 100x better than this mess.

mick78
04-09-2011, 02:38 PM
Wow, I'm impressed by how ugly it looks on those "out in the wild" shots. And huge - it looks higher than the BMW X1, which is after all a compact SUV!!

That first official shot made it look unremarkable but okay, but these last shots just show a car that was designed ugly on purpose.

Rob
04-09-2011, 07:54 PM
Looks rather bland, which is ironic given their 'Mediocrity' campaign. It looks very tall too, the wheels look lost. Bring on the STi...

DoMiNo
04-10-2011, 01:58 AM
Terrible. What were they thinking?

swizzle
04-10-2011, 04:18 AM
Subarus have always been hideous so why is anyone surprised

SV
04-10-2011, 06:42 AM
Subarus have always been hideous so why is anyone surprised

Exactly!! Apart from the very attractive previous-gen Legacy Subarus tend to be either bland or unsightly, and sometimes both. Compared to past Impezas this really isn't too bad.

Andre
04-10-2011, 10:47 PM
Exactly!! Apart from the very attractive previous-gen Legacy Subarus tend to be either bland or unsightly, and sometimes both. Compared to past Impezas this really isn't too bad.

The reason everybody's so surprised is because Subaru displayed an absolutely gorgeous and incredibly received style concept, then did a complete 180 and produced the boxiest, most corolla-ish thing they could instead...

SV
04-11-2011, 12:25 AM
The reason everybody's so surprised is because Subaru displayed an absolutely gorgeous and incredibly received style concept, then did a complete 180 and produced the boxiest, most corolla-ish thing they could instead...

I didn't think the concept was that great. I mean, it looked nice, but it was pretty obvious to me that the wheels, profile etc. were a bit more rakish than the production car would be.

Also, where the heck have you been Andre???

DoMiNo
04-11-2011, 12:34 AM
Agreed; the concept wasn't exactly spectacular. And in any event, the design of the new Impreza was surely well settled by the time they showed the concept.

Reppu
04-11-2011, 10:03 AM
Terrible. What were they thinking?

I guess they were thinking about selling a few this time. Current gen is not exactly a top seller based on what ic an see on the street.

Andre
04-11-2011, 10:15 AM
I didn't think the concept was that great. I mean, it looked nice, but it was pretty obvious to me that the wheels, profile etc. were a bit more rakish than the production car would be.

Oh, yes, it was obvious that it wouldn't make it to production as it was, I was expecting it to be squared off a little, but I was hopeful they'd keep some of the concept's character (the real high point to me) in it, but they didn't... They had a revolutionary concept but followed up with an evolutionary model, and thus people who were expection the revolution are left feeling... unfulfilled?

Also, where the heck have you been Andre???

I've been around, I poke in from time to time but haven't taken the time to log in and comment... Had a lot going on offline in the personal life and kind of migrated away. In the past three years or so free time has been much harder to come by and been much more precious.

ElementW
04-20-2011, 07:37 PM
http://cdn.images.autocar.co.uk/612x408FFFFFF/Car/Subaru/Subaru-2041111114248881600x1060.jpg
http://cdn.images.autocar.co.uk/612x408FFFFFFF/Car/Subaru/Subaru-20411111059448751600x1060.jpg

More pics.
http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-york-motor-show-2011/new-subaru-impreza-revealed/256651/pictures/new-subaru-impreza-revealed.aspx?im=434536

Well, atleast you can't really call it bland anymore.

DoMiNo
04-20-2011, 08:52 PM
Well, atleast you can't really call it bland anymore.

The hell you can't. I just dozed off looking at those pictures.

IcedG35
04-20-2011, 09:51 PM
the impreza has always been ugly or bland. now its both. well done subaru.

IFa
04-20-2011, 09:59 PM
But I seriously don't understand how they keep on churning ugly designs after the other. Don't they carry out like focus groups and market resarch before approving such a design? Should I believe that most people actually find that ugly bland mess a thing of beauty?

cowboysnkisses
04-20-2011, 10:08 PM
it used to be bland. now it's "civic ugly" :D

ocn75
04-20-2011, 10:46 PM
The front is ugly and the back of the sedan is awkward from some angles, but the back of the hatch is quite nice.

swizzle
04-20-2011, 11:37 PM
But I seriously don't understand how they keep on churning ugly designs after the other. Don't they carry out like focus groups and market resarch before approving such a design? Should I believe that most people actually find that ugly bland mess a thing of beauty?

Subaru always reminded me of the AMC of the Japanese auto companies. Subaru would do a Gremlin or a Pacer after all the Baja was pretty bad.

mick78
04-20-2011, 11:39 PM
The front is ugly and the back of the sedan is awkward from some angles, but the back of the hatch is quite nice.

You think so? Whilst the sedan at least looks awkeard from only some angles, the hatch does IMO from most - and the blockiness gives me Dodge Caliber vibes, which I don't think is a good thing for a hatchback to do...

TdeV
04-21-2011, 12:08 AM
The rear side windows on the hatch look terrible.

mHawk
04-21-2011, 12:19 AM
I'm really liking the new 2012 Impreza in both sedan and hatch. The overall design of the exterior looks sharp with nice lines and the front fascia looks aggressive. The new interior looks much better than the old out-going one. I've always liked the Impreza because its always been a great car and much better than the Lancer. I'm now looking forward to see what the STi versions look like :)

mario_128
04-21-2011, 01:24 AM

I remember reading an article with one of the designers of the previous generation and he said that the sedan was originally stunning until it went to market research.

SV
04-21-2011, 01:41 AM
It looks okay, nothing amazing but nothing offensive either. I'd say it's a slight improvement over the outgoing car. I agree with TdeV that the hatch's side windows are a mess though.

caarmike
04-21-2011, 12:45 PM
It looks like a baby Legacy to me. And they need that as the market moves to smaller cars.

Oz Astra
04-21-2011, 01:20 PM
Oh god it's ghastly!!!!

fou_bleu
04-21-2011, 01:34 PM
Geez, I really must have weird taste, cause I think it looks a bit of alright! :P Although, I much prefer the current interior - this looks like a Mk5 Golf FFS!!! Sadly, that's a backwards step! :(

Blackraven
04-21-2011, 02:02 PM
Only the WRX STI versions can save it now :(

Rob
04-21-2011, 05:56 PM
The old hatch was ugly but this one is just bland - that's progress I suppose.

ElementW
04-21-2011, 06:47 PM
Whoa , whoa, whoa! Since when is Subaru intent on satisfying the common peoples with noncontroversial design? This is what makes Subaru what it is. That's one way Subie has avoided becoming plain jane vanilla. GO SUBARU!

DATSUN
04-22-2011, 05:10 AM
I actually like the sedan and its powertrain is pretty impressive given the AWD setup.

CosworthKid
04-22-2011, 07:50 AM
The hatch looks as if someone hired a 10 year old child to copy the new Ford Focus

cowboysnkisses
04-22-2011, 08:25 AM
The hatch looks as if someone hired a 10 year old child to copy the new Ford Focus

APPLAUSE! :D

I thought pretty much the same when I saw the pics, but you put my thought in perfectly witty words :)

ajprice
04-22-2011, 08:28 AM
The hatch looks like it's gone back to the original Impreza size that's bigger than a regular hatch but not quite an estate.

SV
04-28-2011, 12:24 AM
Geez, I really must have weird taste, cause I think it looks a bit of alright!

Yeah, I dunno what's wrong with us. The more I look at the Impreza, the more I like it. The styling is well-done (though the greenhouse is cheaply/messily executed, at least on the hatch) and the specs are pretty damn impressive.

swizzle
04-28-2011, 12:43 AM
The irony is that if the Impreza wore BMW badges, the Subaru fan boys would denounce it as ugly.

DATSUN
04-28-2011, 01:22 AM
Got to see this today at the show. I honestly think it looks better in person. I'd go as far to say the sedan is one of the better looking cars in its class.

anonms
04-28-2011, 01:47 AM
So it is more Toyota-ified then? Looks like crap in pictures, looks somewhat passable in person?

DATSUN
04-28-2011, 05:29 AM
So it is more Toyota-ified then? Looks like crap in pictures, looks somewhat passable in person?

I think the current one looks more Toyota-like if anything. The proportions are way better on the new model. It's far less frumpy.

anonms
04-28-2011, 01:55 PM
Oh, I was just referring to the "looks crap in pictures but looks better in person" part. The current one just looks terrible (I'm referring to the sedan; some elements of the hatchback are executed better on the current one).

DATSUN
04-29-2011, 02:35 AM
Oh, I was just referring to the "looks crap in pictures but looks better in person" part. The current one just looks terrible (I'm referring to the sedan; some elements of the hatchback are executed better on the current one).

Oh, I get you. Yes, it is one of those situations. Pictures do it no justice.

effew
04-29-2011, 09:35 AM
Sad to see all the Japanese brands, making tons of cars that are either ugly or completely forgettable and generic in design. (With the exception of Nissan IMO they have at least, a few cars that this doesn't apply to.)

The only time they're not is in their high end brands (Infiniti/Lexus), and even then it's not much of an improvement.

SV
05-01-2011, 09:46 PM
Motor Trend has a bunch of pictures up.

http://wot.motortrend.com/refreshing-revolting-2012-subaru-impreza-73607.html

Honestly I still think it looks pretty good. The only two things I can seriously criticize are that the hatchback manages to look worse than the sedan - just too many pillars going on - and both have rather heavy-looking front overhangs from certain angles. And, yeah, it doesn't look as expensive as a Focus or Cruze. But in sedan form at least I think I'd take this over everything else in the class apart from the Focus and 3.

FRDesign
05-13-2011, 12:18 AM
I couldn't give 2 ****s about this car untill the STI version comes out. Then I will be very, very excited

haji
09-13-2011, 01:30 PM
2012 Subaru XV (EU)
http://car.watch.impress.co.jp/img/car/docs/477/161/02.jpg
http://car.watch.impress.co.jp/img/car/docs/477/161/03.jpg
http://car.watch.impress.co.jp/img/car/docs/477/161/13.jpg
http://car.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20110913_477161.html

DoMiNo
09-13-2011, 01:39 PM
The rear looks like a Caliber.

mick78
09-13-2011, 01:41 PM

There is actually a lot of Claiber in this car. But the Claiber seems better proportioned, and talking about the Oddge, we're not talking beauty..

CosworthKid
09-13-2011, 02:25 PM
Erm, i've given up in hoping for good looking cars from Subaru and Honda

anonms
09-13-2011, 05:04 PM
I durno.... the more I look at it, the more I like it.

swizzle
09-14-2011, 12:03 AM

It's definitely got the Subaru ugly down pat

mHawk
09-14-2011, 02:02 AM
Erm, i've given up in hoping for good looking cars from Subaru and Honda

Why is there so much hate with these two brands with EVERY new car they release? I really don't understand why that you say the Impreza is ugly, but you pretty much say the new Focus is perfect. Why can't we be open-minded and compare the new Impreza with the previous generations of the same car? So please don't give up on Honda and Subaru CosworthKid just because the "styling" doesn't agree with you.

swizzle
09-14-2011, 02:07 AM
Why is there so much hate with these two brands with EVERY new car they release? I really don't understand why that you say the Impreza is ugly, but you pretty much say the new Focus is perfect. Why can't we be open-minded and compare the new Impreza with the previous generations of the same car? So please don't give up on Honda and Subaru CosworthKid just because the "styling" doesn't agree with you.

Subarus have never been attractive and this thing looks like something Hyundai would have done 10 years ago.

Being open minded as I am :devil1: this generation is as styling challenged as the previous one.

CosworthKid
09-14-2011, 02:37 AM

To get things straight

1. Why is there so much hate with these two brands with EVERY new car they release?

There is so much "hate" cause i just happen to freakin dislike every single design they have been releasing for a long time. Simple

2. I really don't understand why that you say the Impreza is ugly, but you pretty much say the new Focus is perfect.

If you don't think the Impreza is ugly then its your opinion, allow me to have mine. If you see ANYWHERE that i have written that the new Focus is perfect i will shoot myself right between the eyes. If anything i have critisized it more than cheered for it. I do love the ST though.

3. Why can't we be open-minded and compare the new Impreza with the previous generations of the same car?

Being open minded by comparing what? One awful design after another? (my 2 cents)

4. So please don't give up on Honda and Subaru CosworthKid just because the "styling" doesn't agree with you

Let's get this one thing clear: i am talking strictly DESIGN here.

DoMiNo
09-14-2011, 03:08 AM
I really don't understand why that you say the Impreza is ugly, but you pretty much say the new Focus is perfect.

I can't speak for everyone else, but I say things like that because (a) the new Impreza is ugly and (2) the new Focus is not.

2o6
09-14-2011, 03:44 AM
This Impreza looks like a Caliber mated with a Spectra.....

The Caliber and Spectra are far better looking, though.

haji
09-15-2011, 02:45 AM
so you think the new impreza xv is the ugliest impreza in history ...
http://www.goo-net.com/carphoto/10451005_200004.jpg
http://www.goo-net.com/carphoto/10452003_199510g.jpg
http://get-u.goo-net.com/car_info/usedcar_topics/226/img/3_14.jpg
http://www.goo-net.com/carphoto/10452003_199812.jpg

chef211
09-15-2011, 02:47 AM
so you think the new impreza xv is the ugliest impreza in history ...
http://www.goo-net.com/carphoto/10451005_200004.jpg
http://www.goo-net.com/carphoto/10452003_199510g.jpg
http://get-u.goo-net.com/car_info/usedcar_topics/226/img/3_14.jpg
http://www.goo-net.com/carphoto/10452003_199812.jpg

Those are the ugliest looking ones in my eyes.

Casa Blanca is really hideous.

2o6
09-15-2011, 05:11 AM
To be fair, that generation of Impreza in non ugly trim, is rather good looking.

CosworthKid
09-15-2011, 11:31 AM
I don't know what the heck that last one is but its definitely horrific!

mick78
09-15-2011, 12:18 PM
I don't know what the heck that last one is but its definitely horrific!

Isn't that a Mitsuoka? SUrely it has the special "beauty" of the brand.... ;-)

CosworthKid
09-15-2011, 01:42 PM
Isn't that a Mitsuoka? SUrely it has the special "beauty" of the brand.... ;-)

Yeah that was the first name that came to mind:lol:

CosworthKid
09-27-2011, 02:59 PM
Some real life photos of the car snapped in New York apparently

http://www.burlappcars.com/2011/09/2012-subaru-impreza.html

mick78
09-27-2011, 03:38 PM
Some real life photos of the car snapped in New York apparently

http://www.burlappcars.com/2011/09/2012-subaru-impreza.html

Tehre is really some Dodge Caliber in this. And that is not a good thing.

against the wall
09-27-2011, 04:24 PM
looks like the designers were taking Ambien when designing this car

CosworthKid
09-27-2011, 04:30 PM
I can see the design working with the over-the-top WRX/STi bodykit but as with all Impreza's the base models just look dated. I mean place this next to a new Mazda3, Hyundai i30, Ford Focus, Alfa Giulietta, Opel Astra, etc etc and it just looks really out of place. And the Impreza sedan, while looking more elegant is still too generic-Toyota to stand out. They urgently need a new head of design cause its a shame for a brand that still has a fan base and some really capable cars like the Forrester and Liberty + the forthcoming coupe to lose so many sales due to its exterior and interior designs

effew
09-29-2011, 09:01 AM
I just keeps getting uglier!

Subaru needs to fire their design team.

CosworthKid
10-03-2011, 10:12 AM
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://i.netcarshow.com/ncs_show.swf?c=Subaru&m=2012-Impreza"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://i.netcarshow.com/ncs_show.swf?c=Subaru&m=2012-Impreza" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

I think the sedan isn't ugly compared to Subaru's of the past. Problem is it looks just like you'd expect a Toyota Corolla to look like, plain, understated, unoriginal and emotionless

boston
10-04-2011, 12:57 AM
Definitely characterless.

ElementW
10-04-2011, 10:49 PM
Well, Subaru did say they wanted to become more mainstream and less exclusive. That, and they did partner up with Toyota.

DATSUN
10-06-2011, 02:05 AM
The sedan looks so much better than the hatchback and infinitely better than the current base sedan.

burley
10-06-2011, 03:10 PM
Looks like a corolla. Wow, if they were going for the fleet look, they nailed it.

Blackraven
10-06-2011, 07:46 PM
Not ugly but not inspiring either. Definitely boring.......and with that, only the WRX STI can save it now.

P.S.
With the design of this new Impreza becoming a borefest, I'm actually starting to worry about how Subaru will design their next-gen Legacy. :(

ElementW
10-06-2011, 08:47 PM
There's lots of shapes and sharp angles going on there, especially at the rear.

BTW, this seems to be the general reaction to most new Subaru's.
First look: It's ugly and/or boring!
Second look: It's still bad.
Third look: Not that bad
fourth: Looks OK, I guess.
fifth: Actually not that bad.
Sixth: I think I like it.
...And so on. Come on admit it!:P

DATSUN
10-07-2011, 12:23 AM
I have a hard time seeing how this is any more boring than the current Impreza..?

http://image.automobilemag.com/f/reviews/editors_notebook/1005_2010_subaru_impreza_25i_premium/29053768+w440/1005_06+2010_subaru_impreza_2_5i_premium+front_thr ee_quarter_view.jpg

SV
10-07-2011, 12:28 AM
I liked the 2012 Impreza before it was popular. /hipster

fou_bleu
10-07-2011, 12:32 AM
There's lots of shapes and sharp angles going on there, especially at the rear.

BTW, this seems to be the general reaction to most new Subaru's.
First look: It's ugly and/or boring!
Second look: It's still bad.
Third look: Not that bad
fourth: Looks OK, I guess.
fifth: Actually not that bad.
Sixth: I think I like it.
...And so on. Come on admit it!:P

Exactly what I think too!

haji
10-21-2011, 09:09 AM
For some unknown reason Subaru had launched a TEASER website in Japan.
http://car.watch.impress.co.jp/img/car/docs/484/988/01.jpg
http://www.subaru.jp/impreza/teaser/

CosworthKid
10-21-2011, 11:49 AM
Sport and G4? Hmmm
It makes me wonder if any of the rumors about Subaru giving its WRX and STi cars a unique body have any truth in them. This could possibly mean that the Impreza body will be left with Sport and G4 monikers instead?

swizzle
10-22-2011, 03:03 AM
Sport and G4? Hmmm
It makes me wonder if any of the rumors about Subaru giving its WRX and STi cars a unique body have any truth in them. This could possibly mean that the Impreza body will be left with Sport and G4 monikers instead?

Given the price difference for an Impreza VS WRX STI, a separate body would make a lot of sense...say a coupsedan???

chef211
10-22-2011, 03:42 AM
Given the price difference for an Impreza VS WRX STI, a separate body would make a lot of sense...say a coupsedan???
WRX and the WRX STi are most likely coupes, not a coupesedans.

swizzle
10-22-2011, 04:01 AM
WRX and the WRX STi are most likely coupes, not a coupesedans.

Coupesedan is the money move...

chef211
10-22-2011, 04:24 AM
Coupesedan is the money move...

In some cases, but not the WRX.

2o6
10-22-2011, 05:18 AM

The WRX has been a four-door since day one.

Making the WRX a coupe would be dumb; the RWD Toyota coupe (Subaru BRZ) would be the same car.

I actually like Swizzle's idea. Make the WRX a sexy compact rakish four-door.

mick78
10-22-2011, 10:17 AM

Regarding the last Subaru designs, I highly doubt that "rakish" and "sexy" are among their designer's capabilities...

chef211
10-22-2011, 02:45 PM
The WRX has been a four-door since day one.

Making the WRX a coupe would be dumb; the RWD Toyota coupe (Subaru BRZ) would be the same car.

Yea, but I'm talking about the WRX being a coupe because of a report that was out.

swizzle
10-22-2011, 03:03 PM

Given the price point, import tuner boys with high-maintenance girlfriends cannot afford the WRX. A stylish coupesedan would justify the price rather than having a $35K car that looks the the $20K entry model. A coupesedan would be more aerodynamic than a sedan.

Toyota needs to hire someone to advance Subaru's styling to the degree that Hyundai/Kia have been transformed. Subaru is the perfect brand for them to put between Toyota and Lexus and that would allow Lexus to stop worrying about the likes of Acura and truly focus on BMW/Mercedes.

chef211
10-22-2011, 03:07 PM
Given the price point, import tuner boys with high-maintenance girlfriends cannot afford the WRX. A stylish coupesedan would justify the price rather than having a $35K car that looks the the $20K entry model. A coupesedan would be more aerodynamic than a sedan.

Toyota needs to hire someone to advance Subaru's styling to the degree that Hyundai/Kia have been transformed. Subaru is the perfect brand for them to put between Toyota and Lexus and that would allow Lexus to stop worrying about the likes of Acura and truly focus on BMW/Mercedes.

Subaru doesn't = Lexus, Acura so a coupesedan is horrible for a import tuner. Well remember the 22B STi, it was a coupe, so Subaru will bring the WRX and WRX STi into a AWD Coupe, not the RWD BRZ.

haji
11-30-2011, 04:57 AM
Rejoice! JDM Impreza now available only eight months after the international debut! And remember where they build these cars?
http://car.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20111130_494359.html
http://car.watch.impress.co.jp/img/car/docs/494/359/imp01.jpg
http://car.watch.impress.co.jp/img/car/docs/494/359/imp02.jpg

against the wall
11-30-2011, 05:32 AM
with the new look, I would be happy you had to to wait. The longer this thing is off the roads the better

pjl35
11-30-2011, 05:34 AM
with the new look, I would be happy you had to to wait. The longer this thing is off the roads the better

oh please not compared to the current gen in the least. :wtf:

fou_bleu
11-30-2011, 05:42 AM
Honestly, how the bloody hell is the new Impretza (:P) ugly?! The previous model was a bit off (specifically in sedan form IMO - the hatch was fine), but I think Subaru have a very nice range now with this and the new Legacy / Outback. The current Forester and Exiga are a bit meh, but the Sports Tourer Concept looks to be the next model's influence and it sure is a sexy wagon!!!

EDIT: The Tribeca, well, let's hope they start fresh with that one...

DATSUN
11-30-2011, 09:02 AM
oh please not compared to the current gen in the least. :wtf:

Exactly.. The current one is God awful. I don't understand all the hate for the new one, which in sedan form I'd go as far as to say looks pretty good.

Honestly, how the bloody hell is the new Impretza (:P) ugly?! The previous model was a bit off (specifically in sedan form IMO - the hatch was fine), but I think Subaru have a very nice range now with this and the new Legacy / Outback. The current Forester and Exiga are a bit meh, but the Sports Tourer Concept looks to be the next model's influence and it sure is a sexy wagon!!!

EDIT: The Tribeca, well, let's hope they start fresh with that one...

^^THAT

mick78
11-30-2011, 09:04 AM
Honestly, how the bloody hell is the new Impretza (:P) ugly?!

Well, because - at least in hatchback shape - not a single line seems to correspond with anotehr one, there are tons of random details, and all ending up in a Dodge Caliber like mess. Whcih, as far as i remeber, didn't exactly conquer the Peble Beach Cocnurs d' Elegance ;-)

fou_bleu
11-30-2011, 11:53 PM
Well, because - at least in hatchback shape - not a single line seems to correspond with another one, there are tons of random details, and all ending up in a Dodge Caliber like mess. Which, as far as i remember, didn't exactly conquer the Pebble Beach Concurs d' Elegance ;-)

I'm sorry you see it that way, but I think that it's lines are quite muscular and give it visual solidity - something I like in my cars...

omoderncultureo
03-22-2012, 05:28 PM
2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek will debut in NY

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6227/7006053131_99c74f3761_c.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/upcomingvehiclesx/sets/72157629642202807/

basti08
05-14-2012, 03:01 AM
It looks decent enough. The surfacing and especially the headlights don't appear to be as head-smackingly appalling as the Legacy's, and compared to the current Impreza, which is too smooth to the point of looking melted, this looks much crisper and neater. It has an odd stance, though, with those fat arches and an oddly compressed-looking suspension conspiring to make the wheels look overwhelmed.

The concept and current Impreza for comparison:

http://www.mitayani.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Subaru-Impreza-Concept-photos-625x416.jpg
http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/6128/2008subaruimpreza4doora.jpg

I just noticed, the previous Impreza has a rather cab-rearward design. Long hood and a cabin that is pulled back, almost making the decklid a bit unproportioned to the longish hood.

BTT: the new car has a more proportioned look. If rather bland, but it has an easier look to swallow compared to the previous which is more of an 'acquired taste'.

haji
09-25-2012, 04:06 AM
JDM Impreza XV
http://car.watch.impress.co.jp/img/car/docs/561/090/04.jpg
http://car.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20120925_561090.html
http://www.subaru.jp/xv/xv/

swizzle
09-25-2012, 04:24 AM
Are the Chinese doing Subaru designs these days? One horrid mess after another! Toyota has ruined them.

DoMiNo
09-25-2012, 04:31 AM
Are the Chinese doing Subaru designs these days? One horrid mess after another! Toyota has ruined them.

You're right. Since pre-Toyota Subarus were legendary for their style..........

mario_128
09-25-2012, 04:38 AM
8 years later and this still looks great.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/73/2003-2006_Subaru_Liberty_sedan_01.jpg

swizzle
09-25-2012, 04:39 AM

Take a chill pill, Domino and stop flexing your muscles. Subarus have always been hideous, but NOW they are hideous and generic. CTFI

DoMiNo
09-25-2012, 04:49 AM
Take a chill pill, Domino and stop flexing your muscles. Subarus have always been hideous, but NOW they are hideous and generic. CTFI

Flexing my muscles? Uh, okay. How about you stop playing the troll tonight? How many martinis in are you?

mick78
09-25-2012, 07:50 AM
Legacys always looked great up until tzhis generation, especially the one in the picture. Imprezas were never a beauty, but clearly, the current one is the biggest mess. Some others, like the R1, R2 and the first Tribeca were surely not everyone's cup of coffee, but at least looked like ONE designer was working on ONE idea, and not playing puzzle with customer clinic approved siingle parts resulting in one mess...

To sum up, I agree, since Toyota took over, design is dead at Subaru....

spwolfx
09-25-2012, 09:06 AM
Legacys always looked great up until tzhis generation, especially the one in the picture. Imprezas were never a beauty, but clearly, the current one is the biggest mess. Some others, like the R1, R2 and the first Tribeca were surely not everyone's cup of coffee, but at least looked like ONE designer was working on ONE idea, and not playing puzzle with customer clinic approved siingle parts resulting in one mess...

To sum up, I agree, since Toyota took over, design is dead at Subaru....

lol... first of all, Toyota didnt take over anything, and 2nd this new Impreza looks million times better than old one.

Subaru XV is work of art compared to last generation XV.

Hopefully Toyota does take over though and help them with design, especially interior.

mick78
09-25-2012, 10:26 AM
lol... first of all, Toyota didnt take over anything, and 2nd this new Impreza looks million times better than old one.

Subaru XV is work of art compared to last generation XV.

Hopefully Toyota does take over though and help them with design, especially interior.

First Toyota did take an interest in Fuji Heavy Industry, which is the owner of Subaru. And recent Subarus do have the visual qualities of a Toyota...

The new Impreza as hatchback looks like a Dodge Caliber. If that was a work of art, well, than feel free to regard the Subaru as art as well....

spwolfx
09-25-2012, 03:47 PM
First Toyota did take an interest in Fuji Heavy Industry, which is the owner of Subaru. And recent Subarus do have the visual qualities of a Toyota...

The new Impreza as hatchback looks like a Dodge Caliber. If that was a work of art, well, than feel free to regard the Subaru as art as well....

no they dont... but you are welcome to think whatever you want.
Toyota has an interest in FHI, but it is not controlling one... they dont control Subaru.

In any case, Subaru has run out of plant capacity, they are selling everything they can produce, so good for them.

I can only laugh at Charger comparo.

anonms
09-25-2012, 03:54 PM

I'm in the minority where I say this, but I actually kinda liked the Caliber's exterior styling. The car itself still sucked, but that's beside the point.

Superamerica
09-26-2012, 02:03 AM
no they dont... but you are welcome to think whatever you want.
Toyota has an interest in FHI, but it is not controlling one... they dont control Subaru.

In any case, Subaru has run out of plant capacity, they are selling everything they can produce, so good for them.

Agreed. The fact that Toyota has made a minor capital investment in Subaru doesn't make them the same company. The two companies have indeed jointly developed a sports car (and its engine) but I believe that's about it.
Also, as spwolfx has pointed out Subaru sell more than they can produce. Subaru has never been synonymous with attractive designs and, yet, it sells well. Part of it has to do with the fact that its core market is made up of outdoorsy hippies that could give a pig's tail about design. And part of it has to do with the fact Subaru makes pretty good cars, with superior handling, excellent customer service, well above average resale value and bullet proof reliability.
Yes, the previous generation Legacy was probably the best looking Subaru to date. Yet, it was one of the least successful Subaru models from a marketing perspective. The current one has been a lot more successful, despite being less attractive.
Speaking of attractive designs, it seems like not even Subaru itself gives a crap about whether or not their cars turn heads - its first car sold in America, the Subaru 360 was advertised as "the little cheap and ugly Subaru": http://youtu.be/zLPp-NFInXw

swizzle
09-26-2012, 03:57 AM
If Toyota "has an interest" in a minor company it is NOT NOT NOT a "hands off" situation and in fact is very much hands on. The Subarus produced since the Toyota buy in are ALL TOYOTA BLAND...and self-wetting Subaru import-tuner-fan boys can decry it all they want, but Subaru is "owned" by Toyota.

2o6
09-26-2012, 01:22 PM
I'm in the minority where I say this, but I actually kinda liked the Caliber's exterior styling. The car itself still sucked, but that's beside the point.

No, I actually liked the way the Calber looked, too.

However, the Impreza doesn't look as good. It has terrible proportions and zero visual flair inside or out.

spwolfx
09-26-2012, 02:27 PM
If Toyota "has an interest" in a minor company it is NOT NOT NOT a "hands off" situation and in fact is very much hands on. The Subarus produced since the Toyota buy in are ALL TOYOTA BLAND...and self-wetting Subaru import-tuner-fan boys can decry it all they want, but Subaru is "owned" by Toyota.

almost everything you write is product of your imagination, not facts... so stop presenting them as facts.

haji
03-21-2013, 12:46 AM
XV Crosstrek Hybrid
http://car.watch.impress.co.jp/img/car/docs/592/408/01.jpg
http://www.fhi.co.jp/news/13_01_03/13_03_20_87411.html

swizzle
03-21-2013, 01:22 AM
That model range puts the "fug" in fugly...and yes the rabid Subaru fans will buy it by the truckload. Subaru is the "new" SAAB and is equally dubious in my view...

Naga Royal Guard
03-21-2013, 02:42 AM
WRX / STi -> 2 real blandies there let me tell ya

basti08
03-21-2013, 02:55 AM
That model range puts the "fug" in fugly...and yes the rabid Subaru fans will buy it by the truckload. Subaru is the "new" SAAB and is equally dubious in my view...

I think Subaru is Asia's Audi more than Saab.

mick78
03-21-2013, 08:37 AM
I think Subaru is Asia's Audi more than Saab.

But really only in terms of AWD. Otherwise, SAAB seems way more appropriate. In terms of technology otherwise, visual elegance and interior quality, there are, well, differences. IMO the technology loving Lexus is way more what Audi is (and the weird sculpted Infinitis are inline with the future platform mates of Mercedes, also weirdly overdone designs ;-))

fou_bleu
03-22-2013, 12:47 AM
If you have a problem with another member, we urge you to either a) politely take it up with them privately, b) block them so you don't see their posts or c) message myself or another admin/moderator to help deal with the issue.

Thank you, now have a nice day :)

Superamerica
03-22-2013, 01:55 AM
If you have a problem with another member, we urge you to either a) politely take it up with them privately, b) block them so you don't see their posts or c) message myself or another admin/moderator to help deal with the issue.

Thank you, now have a nice day :)

I'd opt for option d) just ignore the trolls. It's easier.

spwolfx
03-22-2013, 02:51 AM
But really only in terms of AWD. Otherwise, SAAB seems way more appropriate. In terms of technology otherwise, visual elegance and interior quality, there are, well, differences. IMO the technology loving Lexus is way more what Audi is (and the weird sculpted Infinitis are inline with the future platform mates of Mercedes, also weirdly overdone designs ;-))

Subaru is not as quirky as SAAB and is actually doing really well :-)

It will be interesting to see what this hybrid is... NY show is shaping to be really interesting.

swizzle
03-22-2013, 03:09 AM
Subaru is not as quirky as SAAB and is actually doing really well :-)

It will be interesting to see what this hybrid is... NY show is shaping to be really interesting.

Oh Lordy...Subaru is pigeonholing itself iike Saab did. Toyota is marginalizing them...

haji
03-24-2013, 10:59 PM
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8375/8575828073_493fbe1821_c.jpg
So when's the 320hp STI version coming??

fou_bleu
03-25-2013, 12:30 AM
All I'll complain about is that they surely could have found a nicer shade of green! :/

swizzle
03-25-2013, 03:23 AM
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8375/8575828073_493fbe1821_c.jpg
So when's the 320hp STI version coming??

Dodge Caliber???

mick78
03-25-2013, 08:37 AM
Dodge Caliber???

That's mean (the fanboys will cry). But exactly what I think :devil1:

cuisine
09-25-2014, 07:48 PM
facelift for 2015MY

http://www.worldcarfans.com/114092581802/2015-subaru-impreza-unveiled-with-cosmetic-updates-and

http://content.worldcarfans.co/2014/9/25/large/410935853732690050.jpg
http://content.worldcarfans.co/2014/9/25/large/8820625711305021330.jpg
Subaru has launched the 2015MY Impreza which comes with a series of subtle changes both inside and out.

The model year change is bringing minor tweaks to the headlights, front grille and bumper which create a slightly more aggressive appearance for both four- and five-door models, with the former also getting a new rear lip spoiler and LED third brake light.

Step inside the cabin and there's now a standard 6.2-inch touchscreen for the infotainment system which offers a wide variety of functions such as Rear Vision Camera, HD Radio, smartphone integration, USB & AUX support, Bluetooth hands-free connectivity and audio streaming along with iPod control. The standard audio system has four speakers but upgrading to the Impreza 2.0 Premium will reward clients with a six-speaker setup.

The 7-inch touchscreen version optionally available only on the Limited & Sport Limited trims of the sedan now has voice command-controlled navigation system. The 2015 Impreza Premium & Limited trims now come as standard with a Lineartronic CVT and all versions benefit from a quieter cabin along with improved interior trims.

Power comes from the same 4-cylinder, 2.0-liter boxer engine delivering 148 bhp (110 kW) at 6,200 rpm and 145 lb-ft (196 Nm) of torque at 4,200 rpm sent to an all-wheel drive system which allows the CVT-equipped model return 28 mpg city / 37 mpg highway / 31 mpg combined.