PDA

View Full Version : 2011 North American International Auto Show (Detroit)

forked69
12-15-2010, 11:24 PM
http://www.vancouversun.com/business/real-estate/2429611.bin?size=620x400

Audi Q5 HEV (WP)
Audi A6 sedan (WP)
Bentley Continental GT (US intro)
BMW 6 Series convertible (WP)
BMW 1 Series M Coupe (WP)
Buick Verano sedan (NA intro)
BYD e6 Premier (WP)
BYD S6DM P-HEV (WP)
Chrysler 300 (WP, major)
Cadillac ATS sedan concept (unlikely)
Chevy Sonic (WP for sedan, replaces Aveo)
Ford C-MAX
GMC HD PU concept
Honda Civic concept (WP)
Hyundai Veloster (WP, FWD sports car)
Jeep Compass (WP, moderate change)
Mercedes-Benz C Class FL/Coupe
MINI Pacman concept
Porsche 918 coupe (race car)
Tesla Model S (pre-production?)
Toyota HEV Prius MAV (WP, C-MAV)
Toyota HEV Prius Compact concept
2011 VW New Beetle (WP)
2012 VW NMS sedan (WP)

http://www.vancouversun.com/business/real-estate/2429604.bin?size=620x400

DoMiNo
12-15-2010, 11:38 PM
Cadillac ATS? Is that really confirmed? I assume it will be a concept; I think it's still a ways off.

caarmike
12-17-2010, 12:54 PM
Here's the press conference lineup:

01/10/11
*6:30-7:00 am Porsche
*8:40-9:05 am Chrysler
*9:15-9:40 am Buick
*9:55-10:30 am Ford / Cobo Arena
*10:45-11:10 am Volkswagen *
*11:20-11:45 am Mercedes-Benz
*11:55 am -12:20 pm BMW
*12:25-12:50 pm Audi
*1:05-1:30 pm Toyota / Riverview Ballroom
*1:45-2:10 pm Honda *
*2:20-2:45 pm Bentley
*2:55-3:20 pm Hyundai * *
*3:30-3:55 pm MINI
*4:05-4:30 pm Tesla
*4:35-5:00 pm Jeep
*5:10-5:35 pm Kia
*5:45-6:10 pm BYD
*6:15-6:40 pm Chevrolet

01/11/11
Times TBA:
Volvo

http://naias.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=555

against the wall
12-17-2010, 07:43 PM
I cant wait for Porsche's debut. Apparently its pretty good from what I read the other day. And shouldnt we expect the new Malibu too

DoMiNo
12-17-2010, 07:49 PM
How about the Camaro Z28?

63Bonneville
12-20-2010, 05:52 AM
A couple of vehicles that I'm waiting to see, and from GM, are the production Cadillac XTS and a Chevrolet Impala concept, which, I understand, have been presented at a private GM meeting, and shown to a select few. I wonder if these will be presented at Detroit/NAIAS.

the1
01-03-2011, 11:36 AM
I think they will. After all GM has always shown a raft of new models and concepts at NAIAS. The ATS is not that far off... I think we may see the production version. Otherwise, I think VW is having two of the most interesting premieres for the NA market. The NMS and Beetle are potentially some of its most successful models in the next few years.

LE: BTW, isn't the new Murci/Aventador going to show up at NAIAS?

63Bonneville
01-05-2011, 08:40 PM
LE: BTW, isn't the new Murci/Aventador going to show up at NAIAS?

I believe that the Murci successor, the Aventador, is set for Geneva.

boston
01-08-2011, 09:36 PM
I know we'll see the VW NMS/Passat at Detroit, but a source tells me that the Polo is coming too?

I'm sceptical.

the1
01-08-2011, 10:53 PM
The New Beetle will be on display for sure.

phaeton
01-09-2011, 05:13 AM
I know we'll see the VW NMS/Passat at Detroit, but a source tells me that the Polo is coming too?

I'm sceptical.

Polo or a Polo sized vehicle will not be unveiled this year for the NA market.

The New Beetle will be on display for sure.

Debut/Reveal is slated for May.

wildeye
01-09-2011, 09:54 AM
Debut/Reveal is slated for May.

I think it's like that:
Coupe = NAIAS, production in May
Cabrio = Geneva

DoMiNo
01-09-2011, 04:23 PM
What about the Jetta coupe?

swizzle
01-09-2011, 05:00 PM

Needs to be here like now.

against the wall
01-09-2011, 06:38 PM
Carscoop has the name of the Ford Escuga replacement concept as the Vertrek, and the Porsche reveal as the 918 RSR. Take that for what you will.

phaeton
01-10-2011, 11:20 AM
I think it's like that:
Coupe = NAIAS, production in May
Cabrio = Geneva

Reveal is definitely May and the closest show around that time is the Chicago Auto Show.

Cabriolet would be a year to 18mths later.

No green light yet, if VW get happy with current sales rising in NA market perhaps a coupe will get the nod but not within this year.

the future
01-10-2011, 09:10 PM
Why is this year's NAIAS so boring?

Ford: no new cars, 1 semi-concept
GM: two new, but unfascinating cars, no concepts
Chrysler: nothing (where is the Viper concept???)

Audi: A6, but that's not a "real" debut, no concept
BMW: same
Mercedes: only a face-lifted car, no concept

Only VW, Kia/Hyundai and Toyota have substantial news.

Do you remember the times when every manufacturer showed one new car per brand plus at least one new concept car per brand? The financial crisis is over, manufacturers are making profits again. But it doesn't show in this year's NAIAS.

63Bonneville
01-10-2011, 10:12 PM
There have been some good debuts so far (mid-day one of press, as I post this), but, for some reason, I was expecting more. I know that there's more to go, but some of the debuts that I wanted to see aren't there, such as a production Cadillac XTS, and an Impala concept.

DoMiNo
01-11-2011, 03:50 AM
Maybe those will be tomorrow, or maybe they will be NYIAS or Chicago? I know GM has to have much more up its sleeve...it's NAIAS for God's sake.

DoMiNo
01-11-2011, 03:51 AM
Why is this year's NAIAS so boring?

Ford: no new cars, 1 semi-concept
GM: two new, but unfascinating cars, no concepts
Chrysler: nothing (where is the Viper concept???)

Audi: A6, but that's not a "real" debut, no concept
BMW: same
Mercedes: only a face-lifted car, no concept

Only VW, Kia/Hyundai and Toyota have substantial news.

Do you remember the times when every manufacturer showed one new car per brand plus at least one new concept car per brand? The financial crisis is over, manufacturers are making profits again. But it doesn't show in this year's NAIAS.

Ford had the C-Max and the C-Max hybrids (all new to NA), Chrysler had the 300?

boston
01-11-2011, 04:45 PM
Perhaps you feel less excitement because there are so many pre-show "leaks" by manufacturers.

the future
01-11-2011, 09:10 PM
Perhaps you feel less excitement because there are so many pre-show "leaks" by manufacturers.

This is true when it comes to Chrysler 300 and Jeep Compass.

NAIAS always used to be the show of the Americans. No world-debut and only a half-baked concept car (Ford) is just not big news for me. A Korean-engineered tiny car and a German-engineered compact car (General Motors) isn't the big bang either. Nothing at Dodge. Sure, Mercury, Pontiac, Oldsmobile and Hummer don't exist anymore, but this year, Cadillac and Lincoln seem to be non-existing, too. What do you do if you don't have any new cars to show? You show concept cars. A few years ago, there were smashing debuts AND stunning concept cars.

the future
01-11-2011, 09:20 PM
MINI Pacman concept

LOL. From the first day the Paceman was announced, I have always been thinking "Pacman"... :-) And the Paceman does indeed look like a Mini that went eating like a Pacman...

exl500
01-11-2011, 10:04 PM
Nothing from Cadillac or Lincoln? Really?

I know its true but it seems impossible.

DoMiNo
01-12-2011, 03:03 AM
Nothing from Cadillac or Lincoln? Really?

I know its true but it seems impossible.

No kidding! Totally unbelievable! Not a single GM concept aside from two tarted-up production models?! GM is a public company again, and supposedly coming back big time--they have to wow people with tantalizing new product, and NAIAS is their biggest stage. We should've seen, at the very least, a Cadillac ATS concept.

Ford had a good show; I think the Electric/Hybrid Fords would have overshadowed a Lincoln concept anyway. Perhaps NYIAS or Chicago.

And what about Chrysler? Nothing but the Jeep Anniversary models (yawn) and that godawful Sebring "concept" that looked like something a tire manufacturer would show off at SEMA. Total letdown.

I thought Hyundai was the big loser at NAIAS this year, but the lackluster showing by the domestics at their flagship auto show is INEXCUSABLE, especially considering how rosy things are looking for them (relative to a year ago).

It's sad when the boring new Passat seems to be one of the show's highlights...

swizzle
01-12-2011, 03:56 AM
...It's sad when the boring new Passat seems to be one of the show's highlights...

LOL not if you're VW and they are no doubt thanking the stars for aligning.

against the wall
01-12-2011, 04:08 AM
one of the lamest shows of recent memory, even with the 918 RSR. Geneva seems to be shaping up a lot better

63Bonneville
01-12-2011, 04:16 PM
OK, even though that the 2011 NAIAS did have it's moments, with the Porsche 918 RSR, the new-generation Chrysler 300 (and a showing of other new and revamped Chrysler products), even the new-generation Passat (nee NMS) turned out better than I had thought, the two BMW debuts (NA debut of new 6-Series convertible, and world-debut of the 1-Series M), the Hyundai Veloster, the Ford Vertrek concept and that GMC HD All Terrain concept, but, overall, this year's show was particularly flat, this being a disappointment, for this is what kicks off the season (or is it now LA, which was in late November). It seemed that this season, the LA show was more exciting than the Detroit show, and usually it's the other way around!

I feel that this year, the Geneva show will make up for this, and I understand that there are some serious and exciting debuts set for this event. We still have Chicago and New York to look forward to, Chicago usually focused around production-models, and New York getting more significant in recent years, with both concept and production.

Andrus
01-13-2011, 04:48 PM
Is it just me or did Detroit have less electric concepts than most shows in 2010?