PDA

View Full Version : 2010 New York Auto Show

63Bonneville
03-05-2010, 05:25 PM
OK, now that the press-days of the Geneva Motor Show, with this year's crop of outstanding premieres, are now behind us, we now have the New York International Auto Show (NAIAS) to look forward to!

Now we'll have to start compiling a list of debuts for New York; all that I know at this point is the new-generation, Nissan Patrol-based Infiniti QX56, and the American debut if the Nissan Juke. Nissan usually has a strong presence at New York. Let's see what else we'll have coming up this year!

against the wall
03-06-2010, 07:21 AM
hyundai sonata turbo and hybrid

DoMiNo
03-06-2010, 01:45 PM
Explorer, I presume?

And what about one or more of the myriad Chrysler refreshes that we're supposed to see this year? Chrysler's showings at Detroit and Chicago have been shameful, they really need something in NYC.

AXIS
03-06-2010, 02:31 PM
There WILL be the obligatory Scion concept, (please let it be a new tC)

63Bonneville
03-06-2010, 06:15 PM
Explorer, I presume?

And what about one or more of the myriad Chrysler refreshes that we're supposed to see this year? Chrysler's showings at Detroit and Chicago have been shameful, they really need something in NYC.

Some reports, and even mentioned in this site in other threads, indicate that the new-generation Explorer will debut at it's own unique event, perhaps early on during the summer. Who knows, maybe we could even get news and official press-photos before that, hopefully by the time NYIAS's press-days occur, one would hope.

As far as Chrysler, they're going through a lull, a transition at the moment, so it appears to be a hiatus from shown anything significant at this year's show circuit. A couple of reports had given away what's on deck for Chrysler starting later this year. Who knows, if Fiat didn't step in, and Cerberus bowed out of ownership, maybe Chrysler could have been left for dead, and liquidation; a terrible thought, but, who know. for certain. It also appears that the synergies with Fiat are far stronger, and more harmonious with Fiat, than they ever were with Daimler, over that 10-year marriage.

Here are a couple of reports pertain to Chrysler and it's production plans as well as coordination with Fiat, posted below:

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/03/04/future-chrysler-production-plans-reportedly-leaked/

http://www.leftlanenews.com/leaked-chryslers-2011-production-start-schedule.html

http://www.allpar.com/model/upcoming.html

asrapid
03-07-2010, 09:23 AM
Cadillac CTS-V wagon maybe.

evomk8
03-07-2010, 11:50 PM
US premiere of the 2011 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport (a.k.a. RVR & ASX)

MiketypeR
03-08-2010, 12:41 AM
The new Kia Optima, Lexus CT200h, and possible the new Buick regal GS thats in this month's Motor Trend.

DoMiNo
03-08-2010, 01:26 AM
I'd *love* for GM to debut a production-spec Regal GS, but from what I've read about internal conflicts about the powertrain and availability of AWD, I'm just not sure it's final enough yet (or if it's even happening at all, with Lutz leaving). Plus, somehow I doubt they'd debut two performance models at NYIAS (assuming the CTS-V wagon will show there).

caarmike
03-08-2010, 01:57 AM
Chrysler has stated it won't show anything until 3-months before it goes on sale. I expect nothing from Chrysler other than a re-reveal of the Grand Cherokee.

Production Chevy Aveo is a distinct possibility though.

2b2
03-10-2010, 10:46 PM
Chrysler has stated it won't show anything until 3-months before it goes on sale. I expect nothing from Chrysler other than a re-reveal of the Grand Cherokee...

otoh
the Charger's interior and C-pillar are in spyshots today
imho they may as well show it at NYC

&
there's been a 'more-than-rumor' that both Lincoln and Mercury will have a new model shown at NYC
tho there's been a bit of discussion re: the Lincoln as to what constitutes a "new model".
Some think an MCE'd MKS; others hope for the KuGa/MKG

also I wonder if the Ford Interceptor that debuts Friday will be at NYC too???

63Bonneville
03-11-2010, 09:25 PM
There are reports stating that the wagon-version of the Acura TSX, basically an Acura/American version of the Euro-Accord wagon, will bow at NYIAS. Also, something else cropped up today (3/11/10), a report of a V6 edition of the Suzuki Kizashi, which may debut in New York, and here's a link to the report, posted below:

http://www.leftlanenews.com/v6-powered-suzuki-kizashi-to-bow-at-ny-show.html

63Bonneville
03-12-2010, 09:51 PM
I just came across this just today (3/12/10) that the USA premiere of the Aston Martin Rapide will take place at the New York Auto Show, and posted below here is the report:

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2010/03/aston-martin-rapide-to-get-north-american-premiere-at-ny-auto-show.html

However, just this past Wednesday, on 7th Ave. in Manhattan, NY, this is what I caught driving down the road, check out the photos I posted by clicking on the thumbnails. I suppose that they're getting things ready for the USA debut.

I caught these quickly with my iPhone camera.

against the wall
03-13-2010, 07:39 PM
according to the auto show site there are 14 world debuts and 18 north american debuts this year

DoMiNo
03-13-2010, 08:06 PM
Wow... more world debuts than I would've expected, but the majority of those are probably not earth-shattering.

Nath
03-13-2010, 09:08 PM
However, just this past Wednesday, on 7th Ave. in Manhattan, NY

I saw one last month somewhere in Herefordshire, England.

Really impressive thing is it takes a second glance to see it's anything different to a regular Aston, it hides it's extra bulk very very well.

63Bonneville
03-15-2010, 04:31 PM
This report just cropped up today (3/15/10) that Hyundai will debut the production Equus at NYIAS; perhaps the version for the USDM, I figure. Here is the link to the report, posted below:

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2010/03/new-york-preview-hyundai-equus-to-make-production-debut-at-big-apple-show.html

against the wall
03-16-2010, 01:46 AM
got my ticket for the first day of the show, the Friday. No other day works for me.

MtViewGuy188
03-16-2010, 01:50 AM
Any news of whether Hyundai will show the 2011 Elantra at this auto show?

against the wall
03-16-2010, 02:19 AM
probably not. theyre already showing the Sonata turbo and hybrid and rumored to be showing the Equus. It will probably get a debut at one of those special events in Korea first, as usual.

I also noticed Hennessey has their own space this year. That would be sick if they bring the Venom

63Bonneville
03-16-2010, 02:44 AM
I gotta get my ticket for this, also, I usually go the first Saturday, in this case, 4/3, then I go a second time, usually a day during the week, where I can see more and again, without the major crowds. Of course, there's nothing like that first-day rush!!

against the wall
03-22-2010, 11:53 PM
Lexus CT confirmed

AXIS
03-24-2010, 06:54 PM
well it's official, SCION is launching something in NY. the teaser site with countdown has just been launched.

http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/8185/screenshot20100324at151.png (http://www.sciondimension.com/)

against the wall
03-24-2010, 07:55 PM
Newsday had an article today on the show. They say its the Scion IQ being unveiled. They also have a picture of the Focus wagon in the article.

DoMiNo
03-24-2010, 10:46 PM
new 5er will be there, obviously.

against the wall
03-24-2010, 10:52 PM
anxious to sit in it. it should be unlocked. BMW has all of their cars unlocked. a good thing

boston
03-31-2010, 11:30 AM
Kia Optima update

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/AllCars/248593/

Acura TSX wagon unveiled at 3.35pm today.

http://www.hondanews.com/categories/1396/releases/5401

against the wall
04-02-2010, 04:43 PM
any picture requests before I leave for the show?

Ascariss
04-02-2010, 06:25 PM
not sure, just take as many as you can.

63Bonneville
04-02-2010, 07:08 PM
I'm going tomorrow (4/3), and I'll be there most of the day, and again on Thursday, 4/8. and I'll try to get some pics, too. I don't know how to post in the body here, but I can add the thumbnails of some highlights.

joeyo
04-02-2010, 08:12 PM
I'm going Sunday...can't wait!

against the wall
04-03-2010, 01:51 AM
sorry guys but I just didnt take that many pictures. i thought I would take more but there wasnt a ton of notable stuff. Like GM didnt bring the Aveo RS or the XTS. Ferrari was a no-show. Ill post whatever pics I have in a bit. My top 5:

1. Infiniti Essence---LOVE
2. Lexus LFA
3. Mercedes SLS
4. Aston Martin Rapide
5. Porsche Panamera-- Doesnt look the best but you cant see that when you are inside, and its very roomy in there
HM: Hyundai Equus. I was surprised they let us sit in it and man is it a ridiculously comfy car.

63Bonneville
04-05-2010, 04:29 AM
I appreciated NYIAS, and I'm going back on Thursday, 4/8, but, I was disappointed that there was no Cadillac XTS on the stand, and a rep had told me that the XTS concept was in China (maybe Beijing), so they had the CTS-V coupe and Sport Back there, instead. This is my first NYIAS ever with no Pontiac, which created a void, and there was no Saturn and Hummer there, either. Saab was present and that new 9-5 is sharp.

As far as the upper-eschelon, there was Aston-Martin with a Rapide, Hennessey Camaro's and Challengers, Rolls-Royce Ghost and a a Phantom Drophead, Bentley Mulsanne and a Continental GT Supersport, Lamborghinis, Lotus including an Evora, and two Spykers, one being an Airleron. Also a Mercedes-Benz/AMG SLS, a few other AMGs, BMW Alpina B7, Corvette ZR1, Mustang Shelby GT500 and a Viper ACR, Lexus LFA, and a Nissan GT-R, Audi R8 (hardtop & convertible) and A8, among the higher-end. Missing was Ferrari, Maserati, Fisker and Maybach. I'll add that the Hyundai Equus is very impressive and sharp, as well as the new Porsche Panamera and new-generation Cayenne.

That Infiniti Essence concept, I didn't expect, but it was a welcomed surprise!! That new-generation Infiniti QX56 is impressive in person, and so is the new M.

against the wall
04-05-2010, 04:36 AM
the color of the Bentley Supersports there was hideous. Looked like radioactive banana.

63Bonneville
04-05-2010, 02:30 PM
the color of the Bentley Supersports there was hideous. Looked like radioactive banana.

Yes, and unusual color, but a hot machine!!! To me, it's the same psychology as Chrysler/Dodge using some odd, bright colors as lime green, bright orange, and purple, back with early 70s vintage machines and even today with Dodge Chargers and Challengers, with these loud colors to stand out.

63Bonneville
04-14-2010, 08:37 PM
Now that this year's NYIAS is in the history-books, I want to mention that this year's event was almost void of concepts. Oh yes, there were many production debuts, those at New York, and others from the past 2010 events, which is very good, for this is true-to-life, and what we'll see in showrooms, dealer-lots and the streets, but, far less concepts, as what I've seen in past years. Of course, it's a transitional year for the economy hit a low, and, of course, the bailouts of GM and Chrysler had much to with it, too.

The only concepts that I caught were the GMC Granite, the production-close next-generation Honda Odyssey, and the Infiniti Essence, which is from last year's circuit. The Buick Regal GS is very production-close, and, sadly, the Cadillac XTS, which was one of the highlights that I was expecting, was a no-show; I was told that is was in China (Beijing Motor Show appearance, perhaps?), and the XTS could be nearly as production-close as the Honda Odyssey "concept", from what I gather.

Also, notably absent was Pontiac, Saturn, and Hummer, casualties of the recent economic downturn, and in my decades of going to NYIAS, this is the first time without Pontiac, a similar feeling as when Oldsmobile had gone after 2004. Also, I felt that Mitsubishi had been given too much floor-space, for a brand that basically lives in the shadows of the other marques from Japan, and had been nicknamed "the American Motors of Japan". Don't get me wrong, Mitsubishi's are fine, but it seems that the Lancer/EVO is carrying it, as well as the Outlook, to some extent.

This was just basically my overview, as well as some things that I posted earlier on this thread.

IcedG35
04-19-2010, 03:46 PM
Anyone surprised the Jeep Grand Cherokee didn't make an appearance at the show? You'd think they'd try to generate more hype for a vehicle that they will be extremely reliant upon over the next few years...

against the wall
04-19-2010, 09:58 PM
i thought I just missed it somehow.

63Bonneville
04-20-2010, 03:10 AM
I'm surprised that the new-generation Jeep Grand Cherokee wasn't on display there, too.