PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Chicago Auto Show

63Bonneville
01-20-2010, 10:05 PM
Someone had to start this thread sooner or later. This is usually an event that mostly showcases production debuts over concepts, which is a good thing, for it's it's what we'll actually see in showrooms and on the streets. So, anyone know the premieres at Chicago 2010 so far?

Mid_STE
01-21-2010, 12:02 PM
Someone had to start this thread sooner or later. This is usually an event that mostly showcases production debuts over concepts, which is a good thing, for it's it's what we'll actually see in showrooms and on the streets. So, anyone know the premieres at Chicago 2010 so far?

Well, I was expecting the production dubut of the Orlando at Detroit, which didn't happen, so maybe that one.

DoMiNo
01-21-2010, 03:24 PM
Ford Edge, definitely. And hopefully a peak at the new Chevy Malibu?

63Bonneville
01-21-2010, 04:29 PM
Ford Edge, definitely. And hopefully a peak at the new Chevy Malibu?

I'm interested to see the Edge, after seeing the very well executed upgrade with the MKX cousin, I'm more in anticipation of this, now. The only thing is that it may not get the 3.7L V6 from the Mustang and MKX, but, I would hope, at least as an upgrade, or maybe have an EcoBoost-4 as base and the 3.7L V6 as the upgrade, instead of having the one powerplant, the 3.5L V6. I've said before that I drove the Edge at a promo, and I was impressed with the performance.

Going on to the Malibu, I'm confused and hearing mixed reports: one that it's on a SWB Epsilon-2 like the Regal, and the other that it will be on a LWB Epsilon-2 like the LaCrosse, and the next Impala is to be a larger Epsilon-2 like the Cadillac XTS, larger that the current model, according to reports. My point: I hope that the Malibu doesn't downsize and be degraded resulting in disappointment, and even continues to offer a V6 upgrade, even if it's just the 3.0L and not the 3.6L, resulting in the engine availability identical to the Equinox/Terrain, I'm OK with that. If the next Malibu is the SWB Epsilon-2, but is the same length as the Regal, which is the same as the current Malibu despite a shorter wheelbase, fine, but if they cut the overhangs and make it diminutive, that'll disappoint, but if it's LWB Epsilon-2, then that'll rock! An upsized next Impala will allow for this.

Here' some Chicago news in the form of a Kia concept, and the link to this report is below:

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/01/21/kia-ray-plug-in-hybrid-concept-teased-ahead-of-chicago-show/

DoMiNo
01-21-2010, 10:17 PM
GM has enjoyed a lot of success with the current Malibu and critical acclaim that for previous generations would have seemed impossible...something tells me that they are taking its redesign very seriously (especially in light of the smash hit Ford has in its "redesigned" Fusion). I doubt they'll downsize it but I don't feel like it would necessarily be bad for the 'Bu to be sized comparable to the Regal as opposed to the LWB Ep-II LaCrosse. On the same note, I don't even feel like it would be a downgrade for the Malibu to have only four-cylinder powertrains (especially if there were the possibility of a 2.0L turbo Ecotec-powered SS model!); it certainly seems more fitting that the 'Bu be saddled with fours as opposed to the more "upmarket" Regal, but that's neither here nor there. But for what it's worth, it seems unlikely that GM would put the Malibu on a stretched Epsilon platform if they were planning an Ep-II Impala to slot above it.

stinger
01-22-2010, 07:51 AM
BMW is debuting the Alpina B7.

63Bonneville
01-22-2010, 03:27 PM
So far, it looks like this:

Ford Edge
BMW Aplina B7
Kia Ray plug-in hybrid concept

I'm sure much more news on debuts, concept and production, will trickle in.

stinger
01-22-2010, 07:52 PM
Not exactly earth shaking news but the 2011 Chevrolet Silverado HD pickups will be making their debut.

63Bonneville
01-22-2010, 08:16 PM
Not exactly earth shaking news but the 2011 Chevrolet Silverado HD pickups will be making their debut.

That sounds like a Chicago production debut.

DATSUN
01-24-2010, 06:46 PM
I'm pretty sure I've read somewhere that the Explorer was making its debut at Chicago since its supposed to be built there and the Edge will likely debut in NY but I could be wrong.

Player4
01-24-2010, 10:03 PM
Any of you guys going to the show?

63Bonneville
01-24-2010, 11:03 PM
I won't be in attendance at Chicago, but I will be at New York (NYIAS) in early April.

That would be nice to see the new-generation, D4-based Explorer at either one of the shows, and I hope that this Explorer offers an EcoBoost 3.5L V6 as top engine choice. Even if it gets the 3.7L V6 from the Mustang or MKX, it's still have more HP than the 4.6L V8, but likely less torque, even though 280ft. lbs, is respectable for that mill.

Player4
01-25-2010, 04:56 AM
I will be in Chicago the weekend of the 19th and staying at a hotel that is 7 mins away from the show for a fraternity convention. Hopefully i can have some time to check out the show, last time i went was 2004

63Bonneville
01-26-2010, 05:05 PM
A recent report just indicated that the next-generation Ford Explorer is expected to debut at Chicago. If that's the case, then This will be a Ford highlight, and then there's the updated Edge.

against the wall
01-26-2010, 10:14 PM
Honda Odyssey concept debuting. I'm expecting to go blind, so I'll make sure I look at pics of the other debuts first

joeyo
01-27-2010, 12:53 AM
Honda Odyssey concept debuting. I'm expecting to go blind, so I'll make sure I look at pics of the other debuts first

My guess is that after that debuts, swizzle won't be using Aztek/CrossTour/ZDX/Juke ugly anymore...lol

63Bonneville
01-27-2010, 02:00 AM
So, this is how Chicago appears so far:

Ford Edge?
Ford Explorer
BMW Aplina B7
Kia Ray plug-in hybrid concept
Honda Oddessy (production-close?) concept
Chevrolet Silverado HD

against the wall
01-27-2010, 03:12 AM
the B7 already debuted I thought...

63Bonneville
01-27-2010, 03:32 AM
the B7 already debuted I thought...

An article or two mentioned a Chicago debut, but, maybe this would be the USA/NA debut of this car.

2b2
01-28-2010, 05:58 AM
A recent report just indicated that the next-generation Ford Explorer is expected to debut at Chicago. If that's the case, then This will be a Ford highlight, and then there's the updated Edge.

from a KickingTires article (http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2010/01/more-details-on-the-2011-ford-explorer.html)
"...What’s surprising is the Explorer — based on the Explorer America concept shown above — won’t be unveiled at next month’s Chicago Auto Show — a seemingly logical place, given it’s a hometown car — or, for that matter, April’s New York auto show. Rather, Ford will unveil the car this summer, Ford's Chicago Assembly Plant manager Jan Allman said...."

DoMiNo
01-28-2010, 02:16 PM
Dumb move. A model as (potentially) important as a new Explorer (especially now that it's car-based) deserves a big show debut. This can only mean that Ford is planning to show the Edge at Chicago or a competitor is planning a similarly important debut there and Ford didn't want to share the spotlight.

63Bonneville
01-28-2010, 04:26 PM
Dumb move. A model as (potentially) important as a new Explorer (especially now that it's car-based) deserves a big show debut. This can only mean that Ford is planning to show the Edge at Chicago or a competitor is planning a similarly important debut there and Ford didn't want to share the spotlight.

That's a bit of a disappointment, I was also hoping for the new-generation Ford Explorer to appear at Chicago, but now, according to that report, it will not be at Chicago or New York, but make it's own appearance over the Summer. Perhaps we could see official photos before then, if they're released.

The first-generation Explorer I once had, a MY1993 2-door Sport, was built in Kentucky, with it's 4.0L V6 sourced from Germany. That engine, likely not long for this world, is still in use in the current, outgoing Explorer as a base mill, and the base engine up to the MY2010 Mustang.

boston
01-28-2010, 09:31 PM
The first-generation Explorer I once had, a MY1993 2-door Sport, was built in Kentucky, with it's 4.0L V6 sourced from Germany. That engine, likely not long for this world, is still in use in the current, outgoing Explorer as a base mill, and the base engine up to the MY2010 Mustang.

Same engine was also used in the LR3 for the brief moment in time that that had a V6.

boston
02-03-2010, 03:55 PM
Add the Electric version of the Ford Transit Connect.

http://www.detnews.com/article/20100202/AUTO01/2020429/1148/Ford-to-unveil-all-electric-Transit-van-at-Chicago-show

stinger
02-04-2010, 12:27 AM
According the C.A.S. website, besides the debuts that have already been announced, Toyota, Suzuki, Mitsubishi and Subaru have announcements of some kind planned for Chicago.

63Bonneville
02-04-2010, 04:56 PM
We have less than a week now as from when I post this, so, I'm sure we'll hear about more premieres soon, both production and concept.

boston
02-05-2010, 01:46 AM
Subaru is likely their version of the Toyobaru, less likely, the diesel

63Bonneville
02-08-2010, 04:06 PM
The press-days are this week and I'm surprised that we're not seeing more regarding the Chicago Auto Show, not even and released press photos of production models set to debut.

stinger
02-09-2010, 01:42 AM
The 2011 Shelby GT500 and a pair of limited edition Dodge Challengers in Furious Fuchia are being unveiled in Chi.

2b2
02-10-2010, 04:55 AM
The press-days are this week and I'm surprised that we're not seeing more regarding the Chicago Auto Show, not even and released press photos of production models set to debut.

Edge is said to break embargo tonight - in about an hour