PDA

View Full Version : Tweaking the Rules

bm88
08-13-2009, 10:58 AM
Been thinking about how we can once again make the contests better and as usual, my suggestion is to do with the voting.

I'm consider two things:

1. I think we should go back to having the points done as a percentage. Where as before it didn't work because the scores were so drastically high, having the current scores as percentages would make it fairer (as it did previously) but would also reduce the scores to make the contests more attractive to new participants.

2. What if I said for each contest you could only award one score of five points? At the moment we have TheophilusChin and speedfreak_77 getting straight fives in the voting so there is no competition there! if only one chop from each contest could get the big five it would make it more interesting.

Anyway, let me know what you think to the two ideas above and also make sure you post your own suggestions if you have any!

To end I would like to thank the couple of people that have sent me a PM recently who complimented by running of the contests. I know sometimes it might be seen as a bit anal but I like to run them tightly and the graphical style of doing them is just something unique that doesn't take much time but makes it look a whole lot better.

Thanks

Ben

iqbal
08-13-2009, 12:10 PM
i have a suggestion. what if we vote from the worst to the best. like there are 10 contestants, the worst will get 1 point, 2nd worst gets 2 points, followed by others until the best, gets 10 points. the more the contestants, the higher points for the best artist gets. hope u understand my bad english

bm88
08-13-2009, 01:03 PM
Firstly, your English is superb compared to my Malay! XD

I think someone else suggested that idea when we had a suggestion thread before. It would make a really big gap between the top and bottom which is the main reason we didn't go ahead with it.

EDIT:
I also posted this in the last thread but nobody replied:

If we run the contests on a weekly schedule, with 5 days of chopping and 2 days for the two sections of voting would you rather have the chopping time go Monday to Friday or Wednesday to Sunday?

If people could give me an opinion on that too then we could get some more participation.

I should also say this isn't to say I aren't thrilled with how the contests are going! I think the 2009 Part 2 season is one of the best I can remember!

Speedstick
08-13-2009, 01:42 PM
I like Monday to Friday for chopping with voting on the weekend...

I personally like scoring 1-5 for every chop - gives a good range (3 is midrange).

Maybe we could do 1-5 for every chop, but 6 for the best? Or 10 for the best? Or maybe 1-3 points for every chop and 5 for the best? I dunno... It seems to be working ok so far.

BTW - I like the percentage thing. It's easier to figure out who won (I was going to PM you about that actually).

bm88
08-13-2009, 02:12 PM
I quite like the option of giving one person a six.

Ten is too much and would open up a hell of a gap but six would be good.

Porsche-Power
08-13-2009, 06:03 PM
I think there are people are voting for there own and not for the shop more like: Oh that's Porsche-Power and he's standing in the results before me so i give him 2 or 3 points. But people are voting also of the model not the quality. I made everytime a background-change but no-one say anything about it or take that in the voting but it is a big and difficult change.

I think the formule 1 the solution 10-8-6-5-4-3-2-1 is better.

Speedstick
08-13-2009, 06:29 PM
I think there are people are voting for there own and not for the shop more like: Oh that's Porsche-Power and he's standing in the results before me so i give him 2 or 3 points. But people are voting also of the model not the quality. I made everytime a background-change but no-one say anything about it or take that in the voting but it is a big and difficult change.

I think the formule 1 the solution 10-8-6-5-4-3-2-1 is better.

I don't like the 10 to 1 formula because:

A.) The scale is so drastic between 10 and 1.
B.) If there are 6 "10s" then one only gets half value.

I still like seperate voting for looks and quality. It wouldn't be an additional adding, as long as each user ads together the looks and quality votes themselves, but shows a breakdown. And you could add one additional point for the best chop.

For example: Vote 1-3 for looks and 1-3 for quality.

Speedstick = 5 points
(looks = 2 points, quality = 3 points)

blackstripe
08-13-2009, 06:30 PM
I also like the idea of giving one 6.

I think it would also be preferable to have the weekend to chop, especially once school (unfortunately) resumes.

iqbal
08-14-2009, 10:34 AM
i also like the idea of giving the best 6. i prefer to chop on weekends because i'm still in school which i will be busy on weekdays.

Baji192
08-14-2009, 11:55 AM
Im going to have to agree with the chopping from Wednesday to Sunday, mainly because i have uni 4 days of the week, so that doesn't really give me much time to do any chopping at all.

As for the voting, I like what Speedstick has said about splitting it up into Quality and Looks/Creativity, and then adding it to give a total score. Also using percentages sounds pretty good too.

One last thing, what would you guys say about an anonymous submission? For example, when we finish a chop, we'll PM the finished chop to bm88 (minus the signature on the image), and he can post it up. That way, all chops are anonymously submitted. I was just curious as to how this would affect the votings, as i daresay that there may be a little bit of biasness towards certain members ( i hope im wrong). But then again the downfalls of this is that by now im pretty sure most people can tell who's done which chop from their trademark chopping characteristics (e.g. Theophilus - Uber Clean and neat chops, Speedfreak - Really nice airbrushing, Baji - Inconsistent chop quality ;-) lol)

Speedstick
08-14-2009, 12:50 PM
Anonymous sounds cool, but I sounds like it could be a lot of work.

Damn - I prefer weekdays as I'm usually busy and not around the computer on weekends.

bm88
08-14-2009, 01:16 PM
Using Wednesday to Sunday for 'chop time seems to be the popular option so I will try slowly move the contests into that time frame.

Don't worry though Speedstick, As now the image option voting would be open before the contest so you could at least make a start on a 'chop.

The anonymous entering and voting has come up a few times before but it's just rather impractical really. Some people (at least the people from the contests that I talk to) will frequently send work in progress screenshots to each other to get some opinions on what they've done etc. People would still do this even if it were "anonymous" I think.

Doing the votes anonymously is another idea but it would mean that the critique would never be seen by members which I feel would be a real name for the less experienced members.

I'm really glad people are giving me opinions on things. Makes me feel like I'm not stupid for caring about the contests so much! XD

bm88
08-15-2009, 04:42 PM
What do people think to the idea of my reintroducing the percentage scores?

I wouldn't be prepared to go back over all ten contests to re do the scoring and work out the percentages so I would just use the totals initially and then I would work with the true percentages for the points from now on.

How about I do that and reintroduce percentages for the voting in PsC09?

Ruthven
08-15-2009, 05:50 PM
I thought that the percentage-score gave a clear and instant indication of the score rather than, for example 41 points - seeing it as 9% (or whatever) is instantly recogniseable.

Speedstick
08-21-2009, 07:12 PM
Any updates on the scoring?

bm88
08-21-2009, 07:36 PM
Yes!

I did kind of forget about this thread but I will be going back to using the percentages with the current round of votes.

With the existing votes I will just add them all up and do divide them from there to give an overall percentage as I can't go back and redo it all as it would just take too much time to work out.

For the sceptics, using the percentages makes it fairer and encourages new entries because the scoring is lower.

bm88
12-28-2010, 03:57 PM
After taking into account the things discussed last time I'd like to ask once again what changes you would like to see to the Photoshop Contests here at CarSpyShots.

Obviously the main issue we have is the lower number of people entering and any suggestions as how to solve that would be really great!

Get thinkin' guys! :)

BryanRW
12-29-2010, 12:48 AM
How about the winner of each contest chooses what the next image will be used in the next contest

jappelflapje
12-29-2010, 01:07 AM
How about the winner of each contest chooses what the next image will be used in the next contest

I like that idea..

Maybe it's just me, but I think the contests last slightly too short.

bm88
12-29-2010, 10:42 AM
This used to be the way we did it but it really slowed down the contests because people took a long time to find the photographs. If it is what more people want I will gladly do it again though.