PDA

View Full Version : Please Read - 2009 / 2

bm88
06-13-2009, 10:27 AM
I've become more and more aware that the points total for this year so far is very high among the top few choppers (speedfreak_77 has a total of 301 points, then second is TheophilusChin with 201 points).

There is no doubt about it, we've had more contests this year so far than I've ever experienced in others years I've been doing the Ps Contests but the problem is that I've been using the percentage instead of the actual points total.

We thought at the start of this year that this would give a more even playing field as the percentage doesn't take into account how many people vote. While I feel this system is better and fairer than the previous points the larger numbers involved mean that people that enter every contest get massive points.

How would people feel about splitting 2009 into two halves and starting the points again at the end of this month (or possibly with the next contest)?

Does anyone else have any other suggestions for the half way point of the year? I will discuss anything that gets some support here so just write down any ideas you have.

Porsche-Power
06-13-2009, 12:54 PM
Yeah the top three has so much points that you can't get any more points to be the winner of this year

And there something I don't like. It's that not everyone that's make a shop for the contest vote and that's unfair because I lost with that a contest because the winner didn't vote.

TheSwageLine
06-13-2009, 01:07 PM
I think it's a great idea. It will give new choppers (like me) a chance to be up there with the big boys.

I also kinda agree with Porsche-Power. People who enter the contest should be forced to vote, although some people might not get the chance to vote before voting closes.

bm88
06-13-2009, 02:26 PM
Glad to see that at least two of your support starting again with the points.

I know where your both coming from with making people vote but it would be a nightmare to keep track of! :P

Thanks Porsche-Power for the pictures too, I'm going to start a thread where you can all post links to photographs you'd like to use.

Porsche-Power
06-15-2009, 04:05 PM
What also a good idea is that you give points and the winner get 10 point like the formula one pointsystem

1st-10 points
2nd-8 points
3rd- 6 points
4th- 5 points
5th- 4 points
6th- 3 points
7th- 2 points
8th- 1 point

then isn't the gap between the people and you can be faster at the top

bm88
06-15-2009, 04:10 PM
Lets pretend for a moment your FOTA and I'm the FIA (sorry non F1 geeks)...

That system sounds good but what if we had our own version of the medals system?

Gold - 5 points
Silver - 3 points
Bronze - 1 point

A lot of contests don't attract eight entries (even though I like the idea) so how about the 5, 3, 1 system?

TheSwageLine
06-15-2009, 04:25 PM
I think you should have 1-5 where the winner gets 5, runner-up 4, etc. That way it will give the less-experienced choppers a chance to get points, where if only 3 people get points there would be just a few people with lots of points and the rest with hardly any.

Porsche-Power
06-15-2009, 05:24 PM
Lets pretend for a moment your FOTA and I'm the FIA (sorry non F1 geeks)...

That system sounds good but what if we had our own version of the medals system?

Gold - 5 points
Silver - 3 points
Bronze - 1 point

A lot of contests don't attract eight entries (even though I like the idea) so how about the 5, 3, 1 system?

It can but now is it nice that when you get in the contest you have always points and thats with that system not. And in the 10,8,6,5,4,3,2,1 system nearly everytime.

bm88
06-15-2009, 06:46 PM
Just thinking back a contest or two there was the suggestion of judging chop quality and creativity separately.

What if people have the Gold 5, Silver 3, and Bronze 1 to award for quality and a further Gold 5, Silver 3, and Bronze 1 for creativity?

TheSwageLine
06-15-2009, 07:10 PM
That would work. It's a brilliant idea.

blackstripe
06-16-2009, 05:25 PM
I'm liking the FOTA version, so (hopefully) the range will cover anyone that has votes.

bm88
06-16-2009, 06:45 PM
What do people think to my idea of giving 5, 3 & 1 points for chop quality and 5, 3 & 1 to chop creativity?

TheSwageLine
06-16-2009, 06:58 PM
What do people think to my idea of giving 5, 3 & 1 points for chop quality and 5, 3 & 1 to chop creativity?
It would work quite well I think.

One loophole would be that someone could make a really crap chop but because they made a Lamborghini into a double-decker bus they would still get 5 points for creativity. It would be more fun to see what people come up with, though.

Ascariss
06-16-2009, 09:05 PM
perhaps the creativity points should only be 3, 2, 1?

bm88
06-16-2009, 09:23 PM
I went with 5, 3, 1 to give some difference but what do people think: 5, 3, 1 or 3, 2, 1?

blackstripe
06-17-2009, 03:58 AM
I think with the three position finishes (as I think Porsche-Power mentioned), we might end up with 3 or 4 people with loads of points, and everyone else with none. With the "FOTA" scoring system everybody with a vote should get a point (in contest 15 there were 7 point scorers).

I'm pretty neutral with the idea of splitting quality and creativity though.

bm88
06-17-2009, 10:19 AM
So people would prefer it if I were to say give out 8,7,6,5... in a contest with 8 entries and 12,11,10,9... in a contest with 12 entries?

Would mean one thing, late entries would not be allowed at all.

TheSwageLine
06-17-2009, 06:52 PM
Yeah. I think I would prefer that.

Baji192
06-18-2009, 09:31 AM
I've mentioned it before, but having a criteria would be nice and what moorhouse said about splitting the voting into "Quality" and "Creatiivty" i support.

Also perhaps we could have a voting style where it was not based on rankings at all. how it would work would be we have a scale of say 1<---3--->5 and people give each chop a score based on this scale. So if there are 4 chops in the contest, when it comes time to vote, there will be four scores given: Chop one - 3, Chop two - 4, Chop three -4, Chop Four - 5. We can make it that when you vote, your own chop immediately gets full points. This would be so that it would be a bit fairer, as some people enter their chops, and may not end up voting. So those who vote get points, those who don't vote, do not.

The winner will be determind by adding up the final scores at the end. The chop with the highest score will be the winner.

I think it would make voting a little bit easier, as with previous voting, there may have been two chops that were equally deserving but one may have had to be dropped as only 4 are able to be ranked. however it may be a bit harder for moorhouse to tally as there are more numbers to crunch.

bm88
06-18-2009, 10:00 AM
Also perhaps we could have a voting style where it was not based on rankings at all. how it would work would be we have a scale of say 1<---3--->5 and people give each chop a score based on this scale. So if there are 4 chops in the contest, when it comes time to vote, there will be four scores given: Chop one - 3, Chop two - 4, Chop three -4, Chop Four - 5. We can make it that when you vote, your own chop immediately gets full points. This would be so that it would be a bit fairer, as some people enter their chops, and may not end up voting. So those who vote get points, those who don't vote, do not.

If people will give that a read through and give some opinions it would be great.

I quite like the sound of it. This way everyone ends up with some points and as Baji192 says, it encourages people to vote. as they then get to give themselves points.

Speedstick
06-18-2009, 01:12 PM
It would be kinda cool to have things like a car comparison test in that you voted for everyone based on a couple categories (quality, uniqueness, attractiveness) and the winner would be be the highest total. But then you'd have to vote for EVERYONE, and it would probably take a while to tally.

I find that way to be most fair, as you vote for everyone and just not the top three (as regardless of how voting goes, it's usually the same top three every time).

Porsche-Power
06-18-2009, 04:27 PM
Nice idea, but isn't it not a little bit difficult for the voter, so there're be much lower voters. I think so.

wheelsweekly
06-24-2009, 09:11 AM
If people will give that a read through and give some opinions it would be great.

I quite like the sound of it. This way everyone ends up with some points and as Baji192 says, it encourages people to vote. as they then get to give themselves points.

Some suggestions.

1. During the voting process, when those 330x225 thumbnails were shown. Is it possible to have the participant's names on top of each? Cos reloading pages back and forth to check who posted which is sort of a hassle.

2. When everyone vote, they must vote for every participant, much like Gymnastic's point scoring system, everyone is a judge, and gives points from scale 1-10 for every participants. Participants whilst voting, are mandated to put in 1 for themselves.

3. This will be a two tier point system, 1 - 5 is solely for creativity scoring, and 6 - 10 is solely for quality scoring. That way, whichever way it adds up, quality will be of more importance than creativity. Therefore this answers the issue whereby someone who converted a Lamborghini into a double decker bus with MS Paint scoring the same points with 1 in quality and 5 in creativity; vs someone who altered a production car ever slightly with slanting the windscreen and propping up the bonnet lines, scoring 5 for quality and 1 in creativity.

4. Therefore, with this system, maximum score attainable will be 15, and lowest would be 7. The total number of votes will not be sum up, instead it will be averaged out by number of voters, and in the end, the magical 1 point from the participants themselves will be added, making the one little point from participants as some sort of VIP vote.

5. This allows for easy voting from voters i.e: (Voter is a participant, lets say me)

Wheelsweekly: 1
Speedfreak: 5, 7 = 12
Theophilus: 3, 9 = 12
Porsche Power: 4, 10 = 14

6. As for Moorhouse, he only needs to add up the total point given to each participant from each voter, then average out the scores that each participant receives, and add 1 for any participants that came back to vote at the end.

Sorry for being long winded, as I happen to be in the consultations field, and we need to elaborate and reason out. LoL~

bm88
06-28-2009, 01:54 PM
Just started the voting for the contest but just had a thought...

If we run the contests on a weekly schedule, with 5 days of chopping and 2 days for the two sections of voting would you rather have the chopping time go Monday to Friday or Wednesday to Sunday?

bm88
07-01-2009, 04:49 PM
I guess people don't mind either way?

Just thought I'd ask as I know a lot of our members will still be in school or college.