PDA

View Full Version : Formula1 clarification please

Comrade
04-26-2009, 02:04 PM
Okay, I'm watching the Bahrain race and I'm a little lost. I haven't paid attention to F1 in a year or 2, and I have no idea what's going on. It's like watching a tv series after skipping 2 seasons if you know what I mean...

Why are there 3 Mercedes teams? Or is it Mercedes just supplying the engines?
Who/what the heck is Brawn??? Story?
Who is likely to win this year? Which team or driver?
Any technological updates such as rev limiters being raised? I also noticed the cars look quite different.. Any other rule changes?
Anything interesting that happened since the Max Mosley scandal?

http://d.yimg.com/bg/p/090404/afp/iphoto_1238843633785-1-0jpg.jpg

pcread
04-26-2009, 04:12 PM
Well Comrade, here's what's been going on. They changed a bunch of rules, again, to make it more competitive. Smaller rear wings to make overtaking easier. Kinetic Energy Recovery Systems (not used by all) to get 80 hp more for a few seconds. Back to slicks to get back some of the grip lost with the smaller rear wings..

Brawn is the ex team boss of Ferrari and before that Benetton. The car is what's left of the Honda Team.
Everything is up for grabs. Ferrari is nowhere, McLaren are playing catch-up. Jenson in the Brawn are ahead so far, but the season is still young.

The Mosely thing blew over.

Comrade
04-26-2009, 04:24 PM
Ah! That certainly helped. Thanks pcread! :)

Cozz
05-03-2009, 01:27 AM
By FIA rules engine manufactures can only supply up to 2 teams per year at any given time. If any engine manufacturer wants to supply more than two teams then they need an OK by the FIA which has been agreed by all other teams. Ferrari supplyied three teams last year including thier own (Ferrari, Torro Rosso, Force India) which was granted by the FIA. This year Mercedes is supplying three teams which has also been granted by the FIA (McLaren, Brawn GP, Force India)

Any Team that spent most of the time fighting for the championchip last year (Ferrari and McLaren) have spent less time and resources for the 09 cars thus why one of the many reasons they are behind.

McLaren have been updating their car as the races go on. Thus the reason why they are doing better. Ferrari have fought against the diffuser ruling and lost. Rumor has it that their chassis needs to be redesigned thus why no updates have been installed but rather a "B" spec chassis maybe by Barcalona

The Brawn GP cars were actually developed by Honda last year. They gave up 08 early and spent a lot of time on the 09 rules. Honda dropped out of F1 because of heavy cost cutting when the economy sank last year and sold the team to Brawn for 1 pound. Yes, 1 pound. They are using a trick diffuser that is the most aggressive on the field. And also their rear suspension holds a lot of secretes. The rear calipers are at the most bottom facing upward. This clears some extra space for their very tightly designed rear suspension. The rear suspension is key as to why they run on rails at low speed corners.

Comrade
05-15-2009, 07:59 PM
wow. I hope Ferrari can dig itself out of that mess. Although it's nice to see some different teams at the top now.