PDA

View Full Version : Opinion On Nascar?

Steve Neill
01-11-2009, 02:59 AM
First new thread in this section for 2009.

What's your opinion on the sport that rules America?

I for one, dislike it. It's taken over football.

And while I admire those that can keep themselves from crashing at 200mph in an oval, doing it 300 times starts to get boring.

NelsonDesign
01-11-2009, 03:34 AM
Haha, Steve, I don't like the idea either! But I REALLY doubt it has taken over football here.

Kramer
01-11-2009, 07:43 AM
In some parts of America, it has overtaken football. I like the road courses, just not the ovals... I mean, there isn't much strategy involved, not like one of the guys are going to turn right all of a sudden =P
NASCAR was much better when they used actual STOCK cars instead of modular fiberglass bodies that all have painted-on headlamps.

Rob
01-11-2009, 12:32 PM
It's deathly dull - I don't see what people see in it.

Matski
01-13-2009, 08:52 PM
I love it!

I only started watching it about 3 years ago, but it is now one of my favourite motorsports.

It has alot going for it when compared to other forms of motorsport, 40 cars on the grid, over 30 races per year, February to November. More over taking, lead changes and radical position changes than you can shake a stick at.. the drivers are characters not robots, and unlike F1 it's more of a show than a political struggle!

It's easy to direct criticism at it because 'the drivers don't have to turn right'... and whilst the tracks aren't totally inspiring in design, between Bristol and Talladega there is actually a fair bit of variety, the tracks do have to be driven differentley. The car setup is sooo important, at a restrictor plate track where basically the cars are at full throttle for the whole race 0.0001% changes can gain or loose places.

800hp V8's that do comfortably over 200mph??? whats not to love!

To say it doesn't take skill is short sighted, if it was that easy, how come in the space of one lap someone can easily gain or loose 15-20 places, there is plenty of strategy, and its not strategy that is decided in some room miles away by number crunchers, it's strategy decided by the driver and the team.. where do you run, high or low? which train do you ride? who do you work with, and who do you dump? And I know this is a simple argument, but anyone see the RoC from Wembley... 7 time F1 world champion and podium jumper Michael Schumacher gets BEATEN on a track with left turns AND right turns, in an italian car... by american dude, NASCAR cup runner up - a man that back flips off his car when he wins a race.... "Cousin" Carl Edwards!

For the record, I'm English, not southern redneck, and I think Football is duller than sand-paper.

Also you don't have to suffer Lewis Hamilton if you watch NASCAR!

Steve Neill
01-14-2009, 05:16 AM
I love it!

I only started watching it about 3 years ago, but it is now one of my favourite motorsports.

It has alot going for it when compared to other forms of motorsport, 40 cars on the grid, over 30 races per year, February to November. More over taking, lead changes and radical position changes than you can shake a stick at.. the drivers are characters not robots, and unlike F1 it's more of a show than a political struggle!

It's easy to direct criticism at it because 'the drivers don't have to turn right'... and whilst the tracks aren't totally inspiring in design, between Bristol and Talladega there is actually a fair bit of variety, the tracks do have to be driven differentley. The car setup is sooo important, at a restrictor plate track where basically the cars are at full throttle for the whole race 0.0001% changes can gain or loose places.

800hp V8's that do comfortably over 200mph??? whats not to love!

To say it doesn't take skill is short sighted, if it was that easy, how come in the space of one lap someone can easily gain or loose 15-20 places, there is plenty of strategy, and its not strategy that is decided in some room miles away by number crunchers, it's strategy decided by the driver and the team.. where do you run, high or low? which train do you ride? who do you work with, and who do you dump? And I know this is a simple argument, but anyone see the RoC from Wembley... 7 time F1 world champion and podium jumper Michael Schumacher gets BEATEN on a track with left turns AND right turns, in an italian car... by american dude, NASCAR cup runner up - a man that back flips off his car when he wins a race.... "Cousin" Carl Edwards!

For the record, I'm English, not southern redneck, and I think Football is duller than sand-paper.

Also you don't have to suffer Lewis Hamilton if you watch NASCAR!

I'd choose F1 or D1GP over Nascar anyday.

Kramer
01-14-2009, 07:03 AM
JGTC FTW... (and i need a few more characters)

Matski
01-14-2009, 01:55 PM
I'm a big fan of F1 too, I like most forms of motorsport. It's only some of the lower open-wheel classes I find it hard to get excited watching. F1, A1, Champ/IRL are all pretty good, but GP2 and downwards is a little boring IMO.

Kramer, I like Super GT too, although it's virtually impossible to see any of it on TV these days.

Nastka
01-14-2009, 03:19 PM
F1 is just marginally less boring than NASCAR, IMO. But... for some reason I used to like watching Indy, though. Bring on the WRC, GT championchips and Le-Mans (not 24 hours at once, though ;))!

Steve Neill
01-14-2009, 04:53 PM
JGTC FTW... (and i need a few more characters)

Seems the GT300 class is getting more competitive then the GT500 class nowadays, and I'm with you all the way.

I'm sure you must know, as someone who either has Bell, Star Choice or Rogers cable, finding it on either one is next to impossible...

>_>

Wanna sue with me? :P

Kramer
01-16-2009, 03:24 AM
I got Shaw. I can never find races (i'm pretty sure they don't broadcast them here) so I usually end up streaming or torrenting the GT300/500 races when I have the time.