PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Chicago Auto Show

stinger
01-06-2009, 06:11 AM
Everyone is excited about Detroit and rightfully so but the biggest and best auto show in North America takes place a month after Detroit. First staged in 1901, the Chicago Auto Show is the largest auto show in North America and has been held more times than any other auto exposition on the continent. This year marks the 101st edition of the Chicago Auto Show.

Public Show Friday, February 13 through Sunday, February 22
First Look for Charity Thursday, February 12, 6:30 to 10:30 p.m.
Media Preview Wednesday and Thursday, February 11-12.

So far, I know Kia and Dodge have debuts planned. I'm sure there will be many more.

DoMiNo
01-06-2009, 06:31 AM
Largest by square footage, maybe, but in terms of international prominence and the number of debuts Detroit and L.A. are by far the most significant.

63Bonneville
01-06-2009, 05:01 PM
I'm still, at the point of this posting, anticipating NAIAS, but, I'm now wondering what we can expect at Chicago, and it's only a little more than a month away.
Chicago is usually known for mainly production debuts, which in many ways I can appreciate more, for it's what you'll actually see hit showrooms and the streets.

stinger
01-06-2009, 11:08 PM
Largest by square footage, maybe, but in terms of international prominence and the number of debuts Detroit and L.A. are by far the most significant.

With a number of foreign manufacturers pulling out and now Nissan and Infiniti not having displays at all, Detroit may be losing some of it prominence. Granted L.A. had several major debuts but I don't think it's a more significant show than Chicago. Detroit is primarily an industry show which explains the large number of debuts but Chicago is a consumer show which makes it an extremely important show for the manufacturers. For many of them, Chicago is one of the top markets in terms of sales. IMO, Chicago should replace Detroit as the North American International Auto Show. Listed below are some of the things the Chicago Auto Trade Assn. are doing. McCormick Place has the space for things like this where COBO does not.

We want to offer manufacturers the opportunity use the Chicago Auto Show to present news they need to convey, but whose resources are being shaved thinner than deli ham. So here’s what we propose:

• The Chicago Auto Show will construct a news conference set in its beautiful Grand Concourse area. We will make this set available to any of our manufacturer exhibitors at no charge.
• The show will provide a brand-neutral Chicago Auto Show backdropped stage; professional lighting for up to two vehicles; presenter podium with sound and teleprompter; large screens for video projection; plus media seating and camera platforms—basically everything a manufacturer needs to do a first-rate, yet not ostentatious presentation of new product or business news from executives.

We want to encourage our exhibitors to use the Chicago Auto Show for product reveals, executive availability, business news and giving our industry its best opportunity to refocus public attention on the incredible breadth of new products and technology our industry offer the customer.

Also, Chicago offers something that no other N.A. show offers, webcams.

DoMiNo
01-06-2009, 11:25 PM
Well I will certainly not argue with your suggestion that Chicago supplant Detroit as the NAIAS, at least until they do a major overhaul of Cobo (which, relative to the beautiful and much larger McCormick Place, is an embarassment). But the fact of the matter is that the automakers' hometown show will always be the dearest and barring their collapse, it will likely remain the premier show in North America.

knicks125
01-07-2009, 05:55 AM
I think most would agree NAIAS is at the top of billing, for the North American market.

After that, it gets a little diffcult in terms of the ranking, as each show has its own merits. While I personally wouldn't rank LA over Chicago or NY outright, LA is moving up the ladder quickly and deserves its credit. For the longest time, LA was always in the shadow of the Detroit Auto Show, but now having had its show dates moved ahead of the NAIAS, LA has been able to shine on its own spotlight.

against the wall
01-07-2009, 05:58 AM
yeah and LA is good because automakers can unveil models there that are made for the LA demographic, which is quite different from the Chicago/NY/Detroit demographic.

63Bonneville
01-14-2009, 05:41 AM
Now that NAIAS press days have just passed, and with an excellent crop of debuts this year, but the public show didn't open as of the posting, now I'm wondering what will premiere at Chicago?

The press days are now only a month away from my posting this, and over the next weeks, news should trickle in and photos should be released prior to the exposition. I'm sure we'll get a list here soon, which will be revised and updated from time to time, as usual, on this, and other auto show threads.

One thing I figure as of now, could be the EcoBoost version of the new Ford Taurus, just introduced at NAIAS.

against the wall
01-14-2009, 05:50 AM
theres gotta be something from hyundai. did they even have a press conference in detroit?

DoMiNo
01-14-2009, 05:52 AM
Give us the CTS coupe!!

stinger
01-14-2009, 06:33 AM
I have a feeling the CTS Coupe will be there. I thought I read somewhere that Hyundai will debut the Portico in Chicago.

MtViewGuy188
01-14-2009, 07:43 AM
Since Ford didn't do it at Detroit, we may see the first public display of the final US version of the 2011 Ford Fiesta at the Chicago Auto Show in three-door/five-door hatchback and four-door sedan variants. Expect the nose design to change a bit compared to the European version so 1) it meets NHTSA safety standards and 2) it better matches the corporate nose design of current Ford models sold in North America.

DATSUN
01-14-2009, 07:05 PM
could make appearances..
- Kia Spectra(Forte)
- Mitsu Lancer 5dr hatchback

stinger
01-14-2009, 09:53 PM
I believe the Kia Spectra (Forte) sedan is confirmed. I can't wait for the production coupe.

stinger
01-14-2009, 10:17 PM
Another way to find out about debuts is to check the show website (http://www.chicagoautoshow.com/about/index.asp) from time to time. Click on "media info" at the top and you'll see a box called "quick links". Look for the auto show updates. The latest one is update no. 2 from Dec. The Jan. update should show up soon and that's usually the one where they talk about debuts.

knicks125
01-15-2009, 01:59 AM
theres gotta be something from hyundai. did they even have a press conference in detroit?

Similar to quite a few other automakers, Hyundai didn't have a press conference scheduled, but I do expect something from the automaker in Chicago. Last I heard every automaker that was there last year will be there this year, with the exception of International truck.

63Bonneville
01-15-2009, 10:21 PM
Here's a report from www.autoblog.com concerning the new Taurus with EcoBoost (SHO?) and it's very likely premiere at the Chicago Auto Show, the link is below:

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/01/15/2010-ford-taurus-sho-slated-for-chicago-debut/

There is an indication in the new Ford Taurus mini-site that there's a "PERFORMANCE SERIES" coming in February 2009.

forked69
01-21-2009, 11:48 PM
Ram HD und Chassis Cab
Kia Forte
Pontiac Solstice Coupe
GMC Terrain
SAIPA Miniator

knicks125
01-22-2009, 01:36 AM
Ram HD und Chassis Cab
Kia Forte
Pontiac Solstice Coupe
GMC Terrain
SAIPA Miniator

Solstice Coupe has already been unveiled IIRC.

What's SAIPA Miniator?

63Bonneville
01-22-2009, 01:39 AM
I figured on the GMC Terrain (Pontiac Torrent successor) coming up soon, and I caught the Solstice coupe in person at the New York Auto Show (NYIAS) in 2008 - beautiful car!

This is basically a consumer-focused show, and I'm looking forward to seeing what's in store this year, it's less than a month away!

stinger
01-22-2009, 02:32 AM
Add to the list the Ford Taurus SHO and possibly the 2010 Honda Accord-based CUV to compete with the Toyota Venza.

forked69
01-22-2009, 04:33 PM
Ram HD und Chassis Cab
Nissan NV2500
Kia Forte
Honda Accord-based Hatchback
GMC Terrain
SAIPA Miniator

63Bonneville
01-24-2009, 06:12 PM
Any more news on Chicago?

So far 5 debuts have been posted here in the last post, and it is fast approaching; as of this post (1/24/09) this is the final weekend of NAIAS's public show. The Geneva thread is seeing more action than this one, and it's the following show from Chicago - then again, early March isn't really too far off from now and Geneva is a much larger and higher-scale event far more in the public eye, internationally.

Chicago is the consumer-focused show, which is a good thing for we mainly see more of what will actually hit showrooms and streets instead of displays, exhibits, eventual museums and sometimes collector's car barns, or sometimes eventually dismantled and crushed in some cases. Or I can also say what could even be just mock-up "shells" that are without running gear.

To add to the list, perhaps the Taurus SHO (if it's called that) with the EcoBoost V6 should show, one of my highlights, and I'm also looking forward to the GMC Terrain (nee Pontiac Torrent) which should be good, taking that nice new Equinox into account. We'll wait and see what else, on top of the initial list.

63Bonneville
02-01-2009, 06:00 PM
A couple of recent reports indicated that a facelifted/updated Mazda MX-5 will debut at Chicago.

This thread is seeing little of no action, and Chicago is coming up soon - Geneva is in March, that that thread is far more active, even though Geneva is a much higher-profile event and in the public eye a much greater degree than Chicago. Chicago is one of the larger shows in size, I understand, and it's more consumer/reality focused. I'm wondering what else we can expect in Chicago - maybe a couple of surprises, too?

knicks125
02-01-2009, 07:49 PM
Nissan NV concept ihas already been debuted, although we may see some live actions after the news Nissan had decided to reverse its decision to skip the Chicago auto show (had skipped Detroit already).

Mazda will indeed bring the facelifted MX-5 to the Windy City, after it had made its debut at the Paris auto show.

Also, Suzuki will more three Equator Concepts to the show.

More later...

63Bonneville
02-01-2009, 09:10 PM
Nissan NV concept ihas already been debuted, although we may see some live actions after the news Nissan had decided to reverse its decision to skip the Chicago auto show (had skipped Detroit already).

Mazda will indeed bring the facelifted MX-5 to the Windy City, after it had made its debut at the Paris auto show.

Also, Suzuki will more three Equator Concepts to the show.

More later...

I had forgotten, the facelifted MX-5 did debut at Paris in '08, this will be it's American debut, I suppose. Chicago's now on-deck, and I can't wait to see what's in store - again, the Taurus SHO and GMC Terrain I'm looking forward to as of now.

boston
02-07-2009, 05:07 AM
Production version of the Ford Transit Connect will be shown, ahead of its introduction this summer.

Acura has told its dealers to expect the launch of a V6 powered TSX in Chicago

knicks125
02-07-2009, 02:46 PM
GM will bring to Chicago Transformers characters:

On Wednesday, February 11, 2009 Chevrolet and Paramount Pictures are proud to announce the return of BUMBLEBEE ™ to the Chicago Auto Show, in anticipation of the upcoming movie, "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen." BUMBLEBEE ™ , the heroic AUTOBOT ® based on the Chevrolet Camaro concept, will appear for the first time in public with other new Chevrolet "characters" from the film at a press conference scheduled to begin at 10:15 am CST in the Chevrolet exhibit at McCormick Place.

63Bonneville
02-07-2009, 06:01 PM
Production version of the Ford Transit Connect will be shown, ahead of its introduction this summer.

Acura has told its dealers to expect the launch of a V6 powered TSX in Chicago

if this is the case with the TSX, then it's an excellent move and decision via Honda/Acura, even though I would have even bet that the turbo-4 from the RSX would have been a candidate, too. Perhaps this would be the mill from the Accord, which would place it below the base TL model's V6.

Speaking of the TL, I'll add this - I think it's sharp in person with presence, but I don't care for the base model's 17" wheels, this falls short, and don't carry the design all that well, I would opt for the 18" on the base TL, this makes all the difference in the world, and it sits much nicer and carries much better, too. The 19" wheels, I believe, are only available for the upper TL model with the SH-AWD.

At Ford, the Taurus SHO will be one major production highlite!

TheCarBlogger
02-08-2009, 05:27 AM
The facelifted MX-5 has already been shown at the Washington D.C. International Autoshow.

against the wall
02-08-2009, 05:47 AM
im surprised that theres only 4 days until the show, and we havent heard anything significant. should be very toned down this year.

63Bonneville
02-08-2009, 06:21 AM
im surprised that theres only 4 days until the show, and we havent heard anything significant. should be very toned down this year.

I know, I would thing this thread would have been buzzing much more by now. Chicago is a large show in size, but mostly production debuts. Geneva's thread saw much more action than this, then again, Geneva is more significant for many nations and higher-profile, worldwide premieres.

Ascariss
02-08-2009, 06:59 AM
Are attendence figures ever released for these shows? My guess is that it might drop compared to last year, or go up with people just looking at cars and not buying.

MtViewGuy188
02-08-2009, 01:30 PM
At Ford, the Taurus SHO will be one major production highlite!

I'm not so sure, though. Like I said earlier, we may finally see the North American production version of the new Ford Fiesta. Ford will show the three-door and five-door hatchbacks along with the four-door sedan.

caarmike
02-08-2009, 02:50 PM
The facelifted MX-5 has already been shown at the Washington D.C. International Autoshow.

I was there, but didn't notice it, kinda like how I walked right past the facelifted Mitsu Galant last year. Here's a pic of Miatas at the Washington Show:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/juehuayin/3259086684/

Sportero
02-09-2009, 05:24 PM
News are reporting that Chrysler will have big news in the chicago autoshow, any hint?

forked69
02-09-2009, 07:10 PM
News are reporting that Chrysler will have big news in the chicago autoshow, any hint?

Mit Pfefferminzaroma: http://jalopnik.com/5149504/2010-dodge-ram-2500-3500-4500-hd-new-model-year-same-old-truck

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/jalopnik/2009/02/2010-Dodge-Ram-2500-HD.jpg

Sportero
02-09-2009, 09:00 PM
http://img4.uploadhouse.com/fileuploads/3434/343420456ca19820f14202dfc614b434a22b8e4.jpg (http://www.uploadhouse.com/viewfile.php?id=3434204&showlnk=0)

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

forked69
02-09-2009, 11:38 PM
Nice!

Add Scion tC v6.9 to da list bros

against the wall
02-10-2009, 12:45 AM
damn the chicago site ruined all the pre-show fun by disabling the webcams

knicks125
02-10-2009, 01:23 AM
Nice!

Add Scion tC v6.9 to da list bros

Yo, it's v5 (but may as well be v whatever, release series like this from Scion are serious getting played out...)

forked69
02-10-2009, 05:56 PM
Yo, it's v5 (but may as well be v whatever, release series like this from Scion are serious getting played out...)

http://img.worldcarfans.com/2009/2/mediumsmall/scion-tc-series-50_1.jpg

megadethmartyr
02-10-2009, 06:16 PM
Similar to quite a few other automakers, Hyundai didn't have a press conference scheduled, but I do expect something from the automaker in Chicago. Last I heard every automaker that was there last year will be there this year, with the exception of International truck.

Hyundai will be announcing official pricing for the Genesis Coupe. Very shortly after (maybe a day) the Coupes, which are already loaded on transports, will be heading to dealers. Be there by the end of the month, or first week of March.

Ascariss
02-10-2009, 06:22 PM
hmm 1 more day and no leaks no fun.

63Bonneville
02-10-2009, 06:30 PM
Just photo-releases of the Harley-Davidson edition of the new Ford F-150, news of an SHO edition of the new Taurus and the HD version of the recently introduced new Dodge Ram, custom versions of the Nissan Frontier-based Suzuki Equator pickup, and a revision of a Scion TC coupe. I haven't really heard so much more so far - either it is a "more of the same" type of automotive expo, or maybe there will be some unexpected surprises, such as the Chrysler 200C concept at NAIAS last month.

knicks125
02-10-2009, 07:04 PM
Hyundai will be announcing official pricing for the Genesis Coupe. Very shortly after (maybe a day) the Coupes, which are already loaded on transports, will be heading to dealers. Be there by the end of the month, or first week of March.

Mega, how are you? Long time!!

I hear also the R Spec would land at the auto show.

Thanks for the info, as always.

63Bonneville
02-10-2009, 07:08 PM

Yeah, Mega, it has been a while - welcome back!
I suppose we'll see some Genesis coupes at Chicago.
Not to go off-topic - I hope the Equus/i70 sedan does arrive in the USDM!

against the wall
02-10-2009, 09:03 PM
hmm 1 more day and no leaks no fun.

you can thank the auto show website runners for disabling the webcams if you wanted leaks.

TheCarBlogger
02-11-2009, 03:36 AM
Hyundai has a whole press conference booked for the show. I'm anticipating something much larger than a price announcement of the Genesis Coupe.

against the wall
02-11-2009, 04:07 AM
theres rumors they could be showing a racier trim level of it.

Ascariss
02-11-2009, 05:16 AM
Hopefully some stuff will be unembargoed later on tonight.

against the wall
02-11-2009, 05:29 AM
it has to be. Im probably gonna wait around here until midnight. dont feel like waiting until tomorrow afternoon.