PDA

View Full Version : Subaru World Rally Team withdraws

lewisl
12-19-2008, 07:45 AM
Fuji Heavy Industries (FHI), the maker of Subaru vehicles, has announced the withdrawal of Subaru World Rally Team (SWRT) from the World Rally Championship (WRC). :( :cry:

FHI has participated in the WRC over the past 19 years together with Prodrive, a United Kingdom-based motorsports and automotive engineering group.

SWRT won three manufacturers championships and three driver’s championships, which FHI says helped enhance the value of the Subaru brand as well as the sales expansion of its vehicles worldwide.

However, FHI says the business environment has dramatically changed due to the quick deterioration of the global economy.

In order to optimize management resources and further strengthen the Subaru brand, FHI decided to withdraw from the WRC.

FHI will continue to support teams and drivers that participate in the Production World Rally Championship, or the Group N category.

The President and Chief Executive Officer of Fuji Heavy Industries, Mr Ikuo Mori, said reaching the decision had been an extremely difficult task, not least with regard to the countless Subaru fans that for many years have cheered the legendary Subaru blue Impreza World Rally Car.

“We would like to express our sincere appreciation for our fans’ strong and loyal support worldwide. They will remain an invaluable treasure for us,” he said.

Nick Senior, Managing Director, Subaru Australia, said: “While sad, the brave decision by Mr Mori reflects the seriousness of the global economic conditions.

“I applaud Mr Mori on his leadership in making this strong decision, which was obviously a difficult and emotional one, given our long and successful heritage in the sport.”

Source: http://www.subaru.com.au/about-subaru/news/breaking-news/2008/12/17/subaru_world_rally_team_withdraws/

What do you guys think???

Ascariss
12-19-2008, 10:10 AM
horrible horrible news, I know suzuki also pulled out I believe and slowly but surely so will others, rallying isn't shown on tv here no more :( but I always try to follow it. hopefully subaru will return to the wrc.

Cousteau
12-19-2008, 08:20 PM
We have 1 year of WRC left and then it changes. In 2010 rallying in world championship level gets quite cheap since any manufacturer can buy a set of standard parts to make civil car into rallying car. The cars are S2000 spec cars, that are currently used in IRC-series

Then they have a plethora of participants:
Fiat
Peugeot
Skoda
Renault
Ford
Toyota

So far Peugeot 207 S2000 has won everything in International Rally Championship series.

http://www.leblogauto.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/Patrick_Hayot/IRC%2007Y08CZ470M0609R0609C18%20Peugeot%20207%20Ga rcia%2001.jpg

BryanRW
12-19-2008, 08:57 PM
Rallying Isnt Rallying Without Subaru's:sad2:

Rob
12-20-2008, 09:40 AM
Bryan's post says it all.
Next year then, only Ford and Citroen will remain. :(
Roll on 2010...

lewisl
12-21-2008, 11:05 PM
Rallying Isnt Rallying Without Subaru's:sad2:
So true. Subaru will hopefully return to the sport in years to come.