PDA

View Full Version : Design Contest: The Pickup Revolution

DoMiNo
12-15-2008, 05:19 AM
Thanks again for the votes, guys! Here are three topics (a couple of them taken from the ideas thread...thanks for the inspiration guys!):

The Next Pagani
With its wild Zonda, Pagani has managed to transcend its small size, quickly shedding its boutique manufacturer image and joining the ranks of the world's preeminent supercar manufacturers. This pedigree is threatened, however, by the massive development budgets and quicker turnaround times of (closely neighboring) companies like Ferrari and Audi-backed Lamborghini; as cross-town rivals throw new competitors into the ring, Pagani makes do with endless variants of its sole model. A totally new Pagani is necessary to do battle with the Italian heavyweights.

A Future for Lagonda
Aston Martin's recent announcement that it would be reviving the Lagonda nameplate took the motoring world by surprise. So far, no one is sure what approach A-M will take with its new model line. Will Lagonda be a platform to take AM more mainstream, or will it function as an even more exclusive brand accessible only to the world's mega-rich? Will it be a purveyor of sports cars, like its close relative, or will its focus remain on sedans, even SUVs? Show us what direction you would take with this storied marque.

Pickup Truck Design Contest
The ups and downs of the general market notwithstanding, there will always be a need for an honest-to-goodness pickup truck. Nowhere else is this more apparent than in North America, where pickup trucks have historically constituted some of the most popular (even the most popular) model lines. Consumer needs have evolved, however, and despite cutthroat competition among major automakers (including Ford, Chevrolet, Dodge, Toyota, and Nissan) the differences between models are frankly superficial. This segment needs a revolution. In an uncertain economy marked by tremendous fluctuations in oil prices and vastly differing customer desires, what will be the next truck to truly stand out from the pack?

Vote on your preference and we'll get this contest rolling! Thanks all!

Superfresa
12-15-2008, 05:23 AM
Haha. I only want to do the Truck one. So I vote for the truck! Too many design contests (not necessarily just oin CSS) are about supercars and I appreciate something more down to earth :)

PRODIGY
12-15-2008, 04:35 PM
All of the contest ideas sound good!

Voted for Lagonda only because I can't wait for another British brand to come back.

Both the Lagonda and Truck idea give us a blank sheet of paper.. the truck one as we can pick any brand, and the Lagonda one because there's a whole new design language that we can create!

Rob
12-19-2008, 03:07 PM
Lagonda for me, too!

DoMiNo
12-19-2008, 04:56 PM
Thanks for the votes, guys! Truck contest it is; I'll have it up shortly.

DoMiNo
12-19-2008, 06:46 PM
http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/9133/truckbannerss0.jpg

<link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CMatt%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsoht ml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" name="City"></o:smarttagtype><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" name="place"></o:smarttagtype><!--><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> In spite of a deepening financial crisis and the recent spike in oil prices, the need for traditional pickup trucks (and a consequently large market for them) remains. Nowhere else is this more evident than in North America, where pickup trucks have historically constituted some of the most popular (even [I]the most popular) model lines and where, as gas prices recede, demand for trucks like the new Ford F150 have to some extent rebounded (as evidenced by recent news that Ford has added shifts to increase production at its truck plant). <o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
These times have taken their toll on buyers, however, and consumer needs have evolved accordingly. Truck buyers are increasingly discerning in their criteria; tow ratings, load capacity, and offroad ability are still paramount, but the market now demands the same quality expected of a luxury car, high feature content, better fuel economy, and innovative solutions to storage and hauling problems. To say nothing of style. And despite cutthroat competition among major automakers (including Ford, Chevrolet, Dodge, <st1:city w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Toyota</st1:place></st1:city>, and Nissan) the differences between models are frankly superficial, with horsepower wars and battles for payload supremacy overshadowing a lack of any genuine innovation. <o:p></o:p>
This segment needs a revolution. In an uncertain economy marked by tremendous fluctuations in oil prices and vastly differing customer desires, what will be the next truck to [I]truly stand out from the pack? What will be the next “killer app” to define a new, evolving generation of pickup trucks? You may design a pickup truck from any manufacturer, be it a real automaker or one of your own creation. It must be brutally stylish and immensely capable, but must also bear in mind consumers’ changing priorities.<o:p></o:p>
Best of luck designers, I’m excited to see what you come up with!

This contest will close January 3. <o:p></o:p>

BryanRW
12-19-2008, 10:56 PM
http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll231/brera16/NewFordRanger.jpg
Copyright ©2008 Bryan Campbell

Superfresa
12-20-2008, 02:20 AM
Good effort Bryan, and very quick!

Just as a suggestion, dont use ordinary markers in your work. It doesn't permit you variation of tone. I do like the design a lot though. Tough but well matched to Ford's kinetic design language,

Rob
12-20-2008, 09:36 AM
Yes, I'm rather impressed too.
I can't take my eyes off the bold, tough-looking, Kuga-like front end.
I will have an entry up soon. ;)

Rob
12-20-2008, 12:13 PM
Mercedes-Benz X320 CDI

It's a pickup... with no frills. Compact, cheap, relatively basic, it's the leader of The Pickup Revolution.

... and because of it's large engine, it shifts.

http://i467.photobucket.com/albums/rr33/FocusRob1990/100_2844.jpg

Stats:

-3.2-litre diesel engine
-0-60mph in 11 seconds
-120 mph
-50mpg
-£9,999

swizzle
12-20-2008, 04:10 PM
http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll231/brera16/NewFordRanger.jpg
Copyright ©2008 Bryan Campbell

I do think this could show up tomorrow as the next Ranger. I don't think Americans will abandon the pickup as personal transportation, but I think they would migrate to a smaller pickup if they had better choices. This is done really well.

SV
12-20-2008, 04:52 PM
i'd like to try my hand at a new ranger, but on the other hand i've been toying around with the idea of a new montgomery pickup; i could make my entry a detroit concept debut as well...

NelsonDesign
12-20-2008, 11:02 PM
This is the first project I have REALLY taken seriously, hope you like it...
http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/8951/pickupprojecter6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

DoMiNo
12-20-2008, 11:10 PM
Wow Nelson, way to go! It's clear that you put a lot of thought into this and it's nice to see the thought process here. Very good work.

NelsonDesign
12-21-2008, 01:37 AM
Thanks dom, I'm proud of this entry

BryanRW
12-21-2008, 05:15 PM
Good effort Bryan, and very quick!

Just as a suggestion, dont use ordinary markers in your work. It doesn't permit you variation of tone. I do like the design a lot though. Tough but well matched to Ford's kinetic design language,

Thanks for the positive comments guys:cool:

Superfresa what kind of markers do you suggest?

Superfresa
12-22-2008, 01:40 AM
Excelent entry Nelson! Very innovative and unique.

Bryan, I would reccomend the use of Copic markers or ad markers. They are a bit pricey but they allow variations in tone and its what real designers use proffessionally :)

If you cant afford them, nothing wrong with using normal colour pencils. You can get really good results.

You could also try this: grind pastels down to fine powder - only do a little bit at a time. Then, add a little bit of talcum powder and mix it up well. Then use that, on a piece of cotton or something. The results are really good! I dont do it much though, mainly because I cant be bothered carrying around pastels and talcum powder and then mixing it! :P And because I have Copic markers.

swizzle
12-22-2008, 04:38 AM
Nelson: Very nice design indeed though a little too conceptual for its own good at the same time. Pickups are inherently down-to-earth conveyances. That said, it points directly to the need to redefine what a pickup can be and that redefinition will be a stylistic break.

NelsonDesign
12-22-2008, 07:02 PM
Excelent entry Nelson! Very innovative and unique.

Bryan, I would reccomend the use of Copic markers or ad markers. They are a bit pricey but they allow variations in tone and its what real designers use proffessionally :)

If you cant afford them, nothing wrong with using normal colour pencils. You can get really good results.

You could also try this: grind pastels down to fine powder - only do a little bit at a time. Then, add a little bit of talcum powder and mix it up well. Then use that, on a piece of cotton or something. The results are really good! I dont do it much though, mainly because I cant be bothered carrying around pastels and talcum powder and then mixing it! :P And because I have Copic markers.

Nelson: Very nice design indeed though a little too conceptual for its own good at the same time. Pickups are inherently down-to-earth conveyances. That said, it points directly to the need to redefine what a pickup can be and that redefinition will be a stylistic break.

Thank you guys

Rob
12-22-2008, 07:12 PM
Nelson, it's a very striking design and you've obviously put a lot of effort into it.
Well done, for breaking the mould!

mrfdesign
12-23-2008, 10:45 PM
Heres my entry:

Relatively quick sketch so nothing special. Its my rendition of the next Nissan Hardbody. More Rugged, more power, more style and more appeal. Some design cues inspired b the 370Z. First time i've done a pick up lol hope its not too bad.

http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/1500/23122008141gj7.jpg

SV
12-23-2008, 11:34 PM
looks great mrfdesign, your technique reminds me alot of domino's (no bad thing). the design is good from the B-pillar forwards, but the rear quarter window is a bit odd on a pickup, and shouldn't there be a separate cab?

mrfdesign
12-23-2008, 11:57 PM
Thanks SV :) . Yeah it looks a bit odd i guess. My first attempt at a pick up so yeah :)

swizzle
12-24-2008, 02:50 PM
mrf: I like the nose and the doors 9/10. The bed area drops down too much to the point of looking like its sagging. Getting rid of the quarter window and raising the bed would really make the entire truck 9/10.

PRODIGY
12-24-2008, 05:32 PM
Some great entries so far!

I've got a dilema!...

Drawn a load of sketches, and done 2 neat drawings so far, and I really don't know which to enter or wether to develop one of the sketches!!

The 2 neat ones are a Dodge Ram 'Revolution' and a Mitsubishi L300 Warrior, and i've sketched a cool small Ford pick-up, a Clarkman, and various other random trucks!

Whichever I pick, i'll aim to get it posted when I finish work at 10pm GMT

chaku
12-24-2008, 06:20 PM
i have to agree.

mrfdesign,the truck is well composed except the truck bed.it was positioned to low.it should be in line with the waist line.u should keep the flow and continuity of the waist line.cheers

mrfdesign
12-24-2008, 07:02 PM
i have to agree.

mrfdesign,the truck is well composed except the truck bed.it was positioned to low.it should be in line with the waist line.u should keep the flow and continuity of the waist line.cheers

Thanks man. Yeah it looks awkward near the rear. Oh well next time i do a truck i wont do that again lol

PRODIGY
12-24-2008, 11:49 PM
Well I decided to go with the Mitsubishi, as it's the most radical, and this contest is about a revolution in the truck world so....

The new L300 from Mitsubishi. A new type of truck which maximises interior space meaning that this double cab pick up takes up the same amount of road space as a single cab! 2 trim levels are on offer, the Evo inspired Warrior, with it's striking front end and spoilers. This is a must for people who want rally inspired style on their truck. The other trim level is the 'no frills' Utility, with less fancy lights and no spoilers. The Utility also features a rubber grill divider.

Prices to be announced soon, but expect the Utility to undercut ALL of its rivals in every market. Engines range from economical D4-D diesel engines up to 2.5 Petrol engines. A high powered diesel is currently under development. All engines provide a perfect blend of economy and speed, thanks to the L300s low kerb weight.

MITSUBISHI L300 WARRIOR

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb251/adythesaxoman/car%20drawings/scan0002-1.jpg

MITSUBISHI L300 UTILITY

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb251/adythesaxoman/car%20drawings/scan0003-1.jpg

The Utility was rushed, and was merely a quick case of flipping my drawing over and using the same lines. Hasn't scanned too well... staying at my parents over xmas and their scanner is not as good as mine lol!

ross82694
12-25-2008, 04:17 AM
Wow. That's the first truck I can imagine driving through Tokyo and not looking like an Asian redneck. I'm not sure, but I think that might be your best design yet, but I'm not too sure or familiar with your prior work.

Great job.

LamboMan
12-25-2008, 06:25 PM
Nelson - Man your truck has a really out of the box design and its really superb! very well thought out and executed.....your best yet! :)

Mrf - Now that is one neat design man. It's got a very Domino-like quality to it, as mentioned earlier. That's the first thing i noticed when i saw it. Great grille design and solid doors! And it's a really really clean sketch. But.....OK i wont talk about the rear since i think you've heard enough about it. ;)

PRODIGY - Really really really out of the box design man! The design is pretty funky and i like it. Looks like the car is really pissed off and wants to eat somebody for lunch....LOL:lol: ;)
Anyway it has that Asian look and feel to it which is good. The design reminds me a little of the Eclipse GT. Very good sketch. Your shading is nice.

mrfdesign
12-26-2008, 01:04 PM
Heres my comments for the entries so far:

NelsonDesign: Well thought out entry. I can see you out alot of time into this and it shows. Very neat drawings. One thing i have noticed with your designs is that they're very 'smooth' , which is no bad thing but i think sculpting your designs a bit more would really boost your designs up quite a bit. Give some more surface definition and your brilliant design brain will do wonders. Now back to your truck! The doors are super cool ;) and i like the rear. The front not so much. Great entry man

Cosworth: The idea of a Mercedes pick up , to me, is crazy lol. And to put (no frills, cheap etc) in context with a Mercedes is just not right. In terms of design its very basic. A simple pick up shape with C-Class lights. I know your still learning the ropes but you need to push yourself more if you want to improve. Get more creative even if it ends up looking odd, sometimes you'll discover something worth while

Prodigy: Personally i think you should've entered your RAM instead of this. Im not a huge fan of this Mitsu. It seems a bit rounded and cab forward. The grille is also much too large for my liking and the spoilers are a bit too boy racer for a pick up haha. I like your RAM and wish you'd have entered that!! o well :) its not a bad drawing its just not a design i like, but it seems im the only one so far so good luck !:)

Rob
12-27-2008, 04:17 PM
I fully understand you're comment mrf, but Mercedes make vans:
http://www.fleetlineoffers.co.uk/dimages/offer/Mercedes_vito_1.jpg
and lorries, so there's nothing wrong with a picup Merc.
It's a basic Merc, but it's a pickup revolution. That's the point.

SV
12-29-2008, 06:51 PM
very impressive design prodigy! i love it. it screams mitsu in a very good way and the monocab look is distinctive and innovative, though some explanation as to how it's possible would be nice; i'm guessing the engine is located under the cabin, like in the first-gen toyota previa and some of the older japenese utility vans?

also the perspective is probably your best yet. great work overall, i think you've got my vote ;)

i've pretty much finalized my design, it's going to be a pre-production concept of a montgomery pickup to go head-to-head with VW's robust. i just need to determine the rear end styling and what the lower air dam up front will look like, and i'll be ready to post a final =D

Rob
12-29-2008, 08:17 PM
About time I posted my opinion on the last two entries:
mrfdesign: Very nice, but I'll echo other comments about losing the rear quarter window. A nice, rugged design, though. :)
PRODIGY: Brilliant, very different, the cabin reminds me of a Mitsubishi i (a good thing!).
Although, if I were you, I'd ditch the spoiler, but that's just 'cos I'm sleeper-mad. ;)

Matski
12-30-2008, 01:12 AM
Errm, bit of a hack job... first submission so be gentle..

http://www.formulajuan.net/conceptx4.jpg

BMW X4...

Rob
12-30-2008, 10:38 AM
In a word... rugged. The BMW off-roader face seems to suit it well.

Superfresa
12-30-2008, 03:35 PM
Gah, with so many end of year things happenning, I'm struggling to finish mine but I'm doing what I can!

At this point I can only say it comes from a very unlikely manufacturer which isn't the most, erm, design oriented company. But who have ample experience in this type of vehicle.

Great entries Prodigy and Matski, two very interesting ideas indeed!

Matski
12-30-2008, 07:47 PM
Well I wanted something that looked like it might actually handle the workload, rather than just being a euro pick-up. I wanted to spend a little time on this with it being my first one and all, but have really bad man-flu at the moment so lost concentration after hour or two.

swizzle
01-02-2009, 12:44 AM
Man flu? What is that? :confused:

ParanoidAndroid
01-02-2009, 06:17 AM
I'll try to get mine ready

PRODIGY
01-02-2009, 12:15 PM
Man flu? What is that? :confused:

It's a joke expression that came about after the bird-flu epidemic. Dunno about other places, but in the UK we call females 'birds'. So women get 'bird flu' and men get 'man flu' which ofcourse is 100x worse and we need nursing and a contstant supply of tea or coffee from the female in our lives! lol

Superfresa
01-02-2009, 02:49 PM
Just got back from new years celebrations away, so I'm hoping DoMiNo is closing this at the last possible minute of the 3rd of Jan in the states, which hopefully means here in Australia it might be like the 5th of jan already, lol, so I manage to get something together, because I promised I would :P

ElementW
01-03-2009, 12:50 AM
Here's something quick that I did.
The Isuzu Aceport. A truck that's aerodynamic for better fuel mileage.
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u257/peugeot_2007/Untitled1.jpg

To get in the glass top swings forward and the door slides down providing a step to get in. Theres glass on the bottom door.

SV
01-03-2009, 02:35 AM
Wow that is a nice design, ElementW! Very much in the tradition of Izuzu's more outlandish concepts. I like the headlights in particular...

SV
01-04-2009, 04:01 AM
Alright, so I've been working on my final entry for a few hours, and it's getting there (gotta do the wheels and some minor details), but a one-day extension would be great, since I wouldn't have to rush to finish...

Superfresa
01-04-2009, 07:15 AM
Well, I failed to meet the deadline after all so if the extension is granted I'll be able to finish too. No worries if it has to close though :)

DoMiNo
01-04-2009, 08:21 AM
No prob guys; an extension will be fine. Looking forward to your entries!

Kramer
01-04-2009, 09:15 PM
Here's mine, the Audi Q8 Truck:

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k239/Lemment/scan0001-1-1.jpg