PDA

View Full Version : Latest Euro NCAP results

mick78
11-27-2008, 03:44 PM
Once again, several cars tested:

http://www.euroncap.com/Content-Web-Article/b64668ef-6965-4549-9225-975a338068f3/the-last-time-best-selling-cars-score-five-stars.aspx

Last time tested according to currentregulations, 2009 will see an update; No more 5s tars without standard ESP anymore, plus some other stuff...

Tested cars:

Ford Ka 4*
Ford Fiesta 5*
Dacia Sandero 3*, 4* with optional safety pack
ALfa MiTo 5*
Renault Megane 5*
VW Golf VI 5*
Peugeot 308CC 5*
Honda Accord 5*
Opel Insignia 5*
Volvo XC60 5*
Mercedes Viano 4*
Ford Ranger 2* (really lame)

Pedestrian safety still rather weak in average, no matter the high bonnet lines

the1
11-27-2008, 03:48 PM
No 5 starts if ESP is not standard? Fiesta certainly doesn't have ESP as standard.

mick78
11-27-2008, 04:02 PM
No 5 starts if ESP is not standard? Fiesta certainly doesn't have ESP as standard.

For test results from 2009 on. That's the reason why they say "...last time best sellers achieve 5 stars?" in their press release.

ESP is okay for me, but points for belt whistles are stupid, imo. Personally I always wear my seat belt, no matter about the whistle. And people who don't like to wear them, find solutions. Just one more gizmo making "beeeeeep" when you enter your car (in tight parking lot's, yes, I plug my belt AFTER driving out....

Rob
11-27-2008, 05:35 PM
5 stars is expected of all new cars nowadays, but 4 for the Ka isn't bad. The old model only got 3 stars. The Ranger crash test pic is shocking though. The front wheel went right into the cabin. And commercial vehicles drive more miles, and are therefore more likely to have a crash than cars. They need to be safer.

ROBonCARS
02-07-2009, 01:44 AM
5 stars is expected of all new cars nowadays, but 4 for the Ka isn't bad. The old model only got 3 stars. The Ranger crash test pic is shocking though. The front wheel went right into the cabin. And commercial vehicles drive more miles, and are therefore more likely to have a crash than cars. They need to be safer.

But the Fiat 500 managed 5 stars and the Ka would have too if Ford werent saving money not offering enough airbags

Mr. Fusion
02-08-2009, 03:49 PM
The Ranger crash test pic is shocking though. The front wheel went right into the cabin. And commercial vehicles drive more miles, and are therefore more likely to have a crash than cars. They need to be safer.

Defo :)

But the Fiat 500 managed 5 stars and the Ka would have too if Ford (http://www.carspyshots.net/showthread.php?p=363888#) werent saving money not offering enough airbags

True, but 4 stars isn't bad though

ROBonCARS
02-10-2009, 11:07 PM
Very true but new car buyers now demand the very best. I cant believe you can still buy cars that have manual front windows!!!!

I cant really talk my car is a 3 star car :(

Mr. Fusion
02-11-2009, 01:13 PM
Very true but new car buyers now demand the very best. I cant believe you can still buy cars that have manual front windows!!!!

I cant really talk my car is a 3 star car :(

Lol
Some people simply can't afford a new car with the luxuries such a electric windows and mirrors, hence why there is now a growing market for budget vehicles in the UK.

mick78
02-26-2009, 03:27 PM
http://www.euroncap.com/latest.aspx

New results, first time including rating for "safety assist"

Citroen C3 Picasso - 4*
Mazda 6 - 5*
Mitsubishi Lancer - 5*
Subaru Impreza - 4*
Toyota Avensis - 5*
Toyota iQ - 5*

I guess the Impreza and especially C3 Picasso would have been 5* cars before, but with low rating at "safety assist", now "only" 4*. Lancer is impressive though, given the weak results of the Chrysler platform mates. iQ with all it's safety equipment is less of a surprise, though still a great result for such a small car.

Superfresa
03-01-2009, 12:19 PM
Wow, I have such little credibility in a system that determins what cars are safer based on having a chime to remind ou that you're an absolute moron that doesn't know when to put your seatbelt on, and on a system that would rather you have ESP than that you have decent tyres and grip in the first place. What a load of bull.

In saying that, impressive result for Alfa Mito and Toyota iQ I thought, and very strange to see the Ford Ka and Subaru Imprezza not achieve top marks.

Oh thats right, maybe they dont beep at you telling you you're a moron and you need to put your seatbelt on... Pffft.

Rob
03-01-2009, 05:50 PM
+1, you don't need ESP if you know how to drive anyway.
Cars have got so safe that they're desperatley looking for faults - seatbelt chime, case in point.

mick78
03-01-2009, 09:55 PM
+1, you don't need ESP if you know how to drive anyway.
Cars have got so safe that they're desperatley looking for faults - seatbelt chime, case in point.

Although i basically agree, how many can REALLY drive? How many unexperienced drivers are out there? And much worse, those who think they are good drivers, stressing "they think that"? For these drivers, ESP is important, especially in a powerfull car.

That a 75hp FWD hatchback could easily live without ESP, is another story. Driving them beyond limit can only happen on purpose. But 150+ hp(Diesel; 200+ hp petrol) SUVs and MPV could easily outperform Mr/Mrs. Average in tight corners or not so good wheater.

mick78
11-26-2009, 01:46 PM
http://www.euroncap.com/cache/file/9c2aa049-035e-489c-9939-64c7b753ed3a/thumb__mediaplayerpreview.jpg

http://www.euroncap.com/latest.aspx

Euro NCAP have again crashed somew 12 new cars, most of which deliver nowadays expected 5 star results....

The Chevrolet Spark (actually I didn't know that it was already available anywhere in Europe) receives 4 stars, and looks good in general, compared to otther offerings in this segment. A bit of a surprise given how bad the old model was, and Chevrolets general so so crash test records. The 5 star Cruze actually does best of all in Adult protection, with slightly better ratings than stabble mate Astra and even better than the new E-Class Mercedes (96 vs. 86%).

There is one additional surprise though, a negative one, with the Toyota Urban Cruiser receiving a poor 3 start result due to very poor ratings in frontal crash and pole test. Now it's not only overpriced, feeling cheap and looking so so, but also a bit unsafe. Wonder who buys it over a Yaris or Auris (at least in Austria no one, given how rare it is).

Pedestrian results are still rather weak, with the BMW X1 scoring best at 63%, which again is a bit surprising as it's an SUV (or kind off), showing that not all bigger cars have to be poor in this respect....

mick78
03-04-2010, 01:02 PM
http://euroncap.com/Content-Web-Article/a095dc95-414f-4f44-bcfe-056e6cd1b98b/fewer-winners-drive-out-in-latest-results.aspx

http://euroncap.com/cache/file/6b3c8d5e-e908-49e9-82a5-83e555396f35/thumb__mediaplayerpreview.jpg

Again, 5 cars have been crashed according to EuroNCAP standards, and only 1, The Toyota Verso, receives 5 stars; The Seat Exeo, Nissan Cube and Kia Venga manage 4 stars, but the Venga showed problems with the driver's seatbelt, so the 4 star rating only applies to cars built after the test. European VEngas are now recalled for fixing the problem.
Last place, with 3 stars goes to the Citroen Nemo, mostly because no head curtain Airbag or ESP is available.

Altogether, not such great results appart from the Verso, with the basically 10 years old Seat it's not such a surprise, but then again, in it's segment, 5 stars are standard. I guess you trade Audi design and price for a little bit of safety. Whilst the 4 star result for the Cube, given it wasn't constructed with European market in first mind is okay, but the just manged 4 stars for the venga is a bit disapointing IMO, as it is a really attractive car. Nemo (and Peugeot Blip, Fiat Qubo)should be offered with those saftey equipment lacking at least optional, that is out of question....