PDA

View Full Version : 2009 North American International Auto Show

forked69
09-29-2008, 12:20 PM
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2008/12/wagonerweight_opt.jpg

Yo Yo Yo, da North American International Auto Show (NAIAS) announced today da 2009 show will take place Jan. 11 - 25, 2009 at Cobo Center in da Motor City, bro. Press mofo preview will be held Sunday, Jan. 11 through Tuesday, Jan. 13. Industry Preview will be held Wednesday, Jan. 14 and Thursday, Jan. 15. Da fine annual black-tie Charity Preview gala will be held Friday eve, Jan. 16. Public Days be held Saturday, Jan. 17 through Sunday, Jan. 25.

In review of NAIAS 2008, organizers reported that of the 58 total vehicles unveiled in da hood, 44 were worldwide debuts and 14 were North American debuts. The NAIAS also welcomed more than 700,000 attendees, 6,000 international media from nearly 60 countries along with a host of celebrities and 37,000 industry insiders from 2,000 companies. In addition, $6 million was raised for children’s charities at the annual black-tie Charity Preview. Peace out.

2009 Intros:

Toyota Prius
Lexus Dedicated HEV
Saab 9-4X
Mini Cabio MC
Honda Insight (production)
Chrysler BS EV's
Cadi CTS coupe (pushed from LA)
Buick Lacrosse sedan (pushed from LA)
Hindustan Ambassador V6.9

http://blogs.cars.com/photos/uncategorized/dodgefood.jpg

against the wall
09-29-2008, 08:05 PM
interesting...you go from german/french to pretty good english with a bit of degenerate gangsta thrown in...

Player4
09-29-2008, 10:14 PM
interesting...you go from german/french to pretty good english with a bit of degenerate gangsta thrown in...

Exactly what i thought lol.

Yea im really looking forward to this new season of auto shows, there are alot of interesting cars coming and with the riing fuel costs it should be interesting what new technology automakers are gonna come up with...

boston
09-29-2008, 10:19 PM
I assume the Hindustan is a joke. Isn't that based a 1950s Austin?

Its going to be interesting to see which Chinese manufacturers will show this time-someone is going to be first

I would not be surprised to see Honda/Acura models with the diesel engine actually installed in the car.

rv65
10-07-2008, 11:02 PM
Brilliance will brings some cars to the NAIAS.

forked69
10-08-2008, 08:09 PM
Just got back from Phat Paris on the Air India flight (with curry), Insight will be at this show bros...

http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/bto/20081002/Insight01_540x386.JPG

DATSUN
10-09-2008, 02:48 AM
Kia Forte and/or Kia Amanti Replacement and/or Kia Sorrento

I hope Brilliance Auto has a proper website developed for the US in time for the show. Those tacky uninformative websites some of their distributors put up aren't a good look.

rv65
10-15-2008, 08:40 AM
I too hope so as well. A distributor has a blog but doesn't update it that often. The first US brilliance site has loads of Chinglish :). It also has outdated information. Brilliance will bring all their cars to the USA. They want to sell the BS4 and the BS6 first. I heard that they may give the US version the 1.8T as the standard engine.

knicks125
11-22-2008, 01:56 PM
No product news but another automaker has pulled out, this round, Mitsubishi.

Now the count stands at 6: Ferrari, Land Rover, Mitsubishi, Porsche, Rolls-Royce and Suzuki.

Instead of speculating/reporting new vehicles to debut, let's try which automaker would pull out next :eek: :cool:

against the wall
11-22-2008, 04:04 PM
the Big 3, lol. maybe theyll boycott to protest not getting a bailout plan.

Player4
11-24-2008, 04:06 PM
Volvo S60 concept will debut here as well...

knicks125
11-25-2008, 12:54 AM
No product news but another automaker has pulled out, this round, Mitsubishi.

Now the count stands at 6: Ferrari, Land Rover, Mitsubishi, Porsche, Rolls-Royce and Suzuki.

Instead of speculating/reporting new vehicles to debut, let's try which automaker would pull out next :eek: :cool:

And it continues, Nissan becomes the 7th automaker pulling out of the Detroit auto show. It's also pulling out of Chicago:

Lindsay Chappell

Automotive News | November 24, 2008 - 5:41 pm EST

Nissan North America has canceled plans to participate in the annual Detroit and Chicago auto shows, citing depressed economic conditions.

The decision puts Nissan and Infiniti brands onto a growing list of automakers that are skipping out on the major Detroit international marketing event in 2009. Also withdrawing from the January show are Mitsubishi, Suzuki, Land Rover, Rolls-Royce and Ferrari.

The Chicago auto show is scheduled for February.

Both shows draw media attention to new products from all over the world, in addition to displaying the product line-ups to local consumers.

Nissan corporate spokesman Alan Buddendeck said the decision reflects the current state of the industry and not the Detroit and Chicago shows themselves.

Buddedeck said Nissan believes it effectively got its new product messages for 2009 across at the Los Angeles auto show earlier this month. The company unveiled its new 370Z roadster and the upcoming Cube in Los Angeles.

'Not a small line item'

Automakers across the industry are tightening budgets to conserve cash as new vehicle sales plummet to recession levels.

In comments to reporters at the Los Angeles show, Nissan CEO Carlos Ghosn said he is no longer interested, at the moment, in creating a new affiliation with a North American automaker, as he has been over the past two years. Instead, he said, he is focused on conserving cash.

Buddendeck declined to say how much a full-blown presence at the Detroit or Chicago show would cost Nissan.
He added: Its not a small line item on your marketing budget.

Player4
11-25-2008, 12:59 AM
Wow this is just insane.I mean soon we are gonna have just 2 auto shows. It sucks because the 370Z and Cube are cars everyone is wanting to see, and an auto show was the opportunity to do so, but now since they pulled out of both Chicago and Detroit i guess people wont have the opportunity until they hit showrooms

against the wall
11-25-2008, 03:06 AM
i didnt read the whole article but I think it just means that they arent going to announce anything or hold a press conference, but just have vehicles on the show floor. right?

cuisine
11-25-2008, 12:50 PM
2010 Dodge Ram 2500 + 3500 HD ????

PRODIGY
11-25-2008, 02:51 PM
So brands are pulling out of Detroit and Chicago??

WOW!

It's a regular occurance with the UK show. We always get at least 2 of the german brands holding a no-show, and usually another 5. Never thought Detroit would have the same problem.

knicks125
11-26-2008, 04:43 PM
http://www.autoblog.com/2008/11/26/honda-i-will-i-be-in-detroit-sans-press-conference/

Honda scraps press conference, so the Insight will sit there on the show floor without all of the formal introduction.

ATW, I think this means Nissan/Infiniti is out altogether.

caarmike
11-26-2008, 06:00 PM
Taurus, MKT, Cruze, Lacrosse confirmed

http://www.freep.com/article/20081126/COL14/811260381

Ascariss
11-26-2008, 06:34 PM
If companies are pulling out of det, then the show here in vancouver will suck even more than usual.

against the wall
11-26-2008, 08:58 PM
http://www.autoblog.com/2008/11/26/honda-i-will-i-be-in-detroit-sans-press-conference/

Honda scraps press conference, so the Insight will sit there on the show floor without all of the formal introduction.

ATW, I think this means Nissan/Infiniti is out altogether.

does Nissan/Infiniti sell a lot in detroit? because thats porsches reasoning for not going, but I dont know if that could work on a mass-market automaker.

knicks125
11-26-2008, 09:35 PM
Despite all of the headlines, I am still fairy confident the US automakers shine in Detroit and surrounding areas.

The imports have never really fared well there historically but the annual North American Auto Show has always setup as the place to gain recongition and press. Certainly the hype has fizzled out a bit...

63Bonneville
11-29-2008, 06:01 PM
I have a feeling (even though this is known) that this will be a somewhat scaled-back year in Detroit, and even though there will be be production debuts, there may not be many (very little if at all) concept debuts. Truthfully, and lately, I focus more at times on the production premieres for these are the real-deal and this is what you'll see in showrooms and on the streets. Lately, though, many and most concepts are more realistic and closer to production versus years ago when they were more fantasy and pie-in-the-sky, and generally to generate interest and focus on a brand That's sort of like a limited production halo-car to generate showroom traffic. That could even be said for convertible models of a given line over the past decades or going back in the 50s & 60s: convertibles were produced in lesser numbers and had a much smaller sales-take, but a convertible would sit in the showroom and attract potential customers, where the customer would purchase a sedan or station-wagon version of the given convertible model, thus resulting in sales.

forked69
12-02-2008, 08:36 PM
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2008/12/honda_insight-1280_opt.jpg
Toyota Prius
Lexus Dedicated HEV
Honda Insight
Buick Lacrosse
Cadi SRX
Saab 9-4X
Mini Cabio MC
VW Roadster concept
Fisker Karma HEV
Audi A7?
Audi R8 V10
Chevy Cruze?
Chevy Equinox
Dodge Avenger HEV?
Chrysler Sebring HEV?
Jeep Grand Cherokee?
Volvo S60 concept
Mazda3 hatch (NA intro)
Subie concept
http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/jalopnik/2008/12/2010_Mazda3_hatch.jpg

against the wall
12-03-2008, 12:18 AM
should I still go on with my annual NAIAS mega-post?

63Bonneville
12-03-2008, 12:57 AM
I say, yes - make it happen!
We're getting down to the wire with this soon.

Ascariss
12-03-2008, 02:02 AM
should I still go on with my annual NAIAS mega-post?

of course, it wouldn't be CSS without it.

against the wall
12-03-2008, 02:09 AM
I'll find time to do it by the end of next week, then, as we get closer to the show.

against the wall
12-08-2008, 11:11 PM
ok here goes nothing. question marks are unconfirmed

<link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CJORDAN%7E1%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5 Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" name="City"></o:smarttagtype><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" name="place"></o:smarttagtype><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]--> <st1:city><st1:place>Toyota</st1:place></st1:city> Prius
Ford Taurus
Ford Mustang GT500
Cadillac SRX
Subaru Coupe Concept
Chevy Equinox
Lamborghini?
Volvo S60 Concept
Aston Martin Rapide?
Audi R8 V10
Fisker Karma production
BMW Z4
Lexus dedicated hybrid
Mini Cooper Cabrio
Honda Insight
<st1:city><st1:place>Lincoln</st1:place></st1:city> MKT
Ford Fiesta
Jaguar C-XJ?
Jaguar XF-R
Kia Sorento
Kia concept (Amanti?)---Forte moved to Chicago
Hyundai Sonata Concept?
Saab 9-5 concept?
Cadillac CTS Coupe
VW Mid-engine roadster concept
Audi RS5?
Ford concept showing post-kinetic design
Pointless DCX concepts
Chevy Cruze
Hyundai Portico production?
Buick Lacrosse
Cadillac DTS Presidential Limo update (cant see any reason why this wouldnt debut here, so I am gonna have it as confirmed)
Mercedes GL Facelift?
Saab 9-3X?
Mercedes E-Class (according to autoblog)
Mercdedes E-Cell, F-Cell, and E-Plus BlueZero concepts
Corvette Centennial Concept?
Audi A7 Concept
Audi diesel model

will update as we get more news.

Aυdι
12-14-2008, 01:08 PM
Audi will show the A7 in concept form at NAIAS.

caarmike
12-14-2008, 05:17 PM
If GM and Chrysler continue in their current state of non-bailed-outness I don't think they'll do much of anything at NAIAS. The media would pounce on them for wasting money, that is if they are not already bankrupt by then.

against the wall
12-14-2008, 05:30 PM
well i would suspect they would debut what future production cars they have ready to appear, which arent any surprises in GM's case. i would expect a huge decrease in the amount of pointless concepts, though.

I'll add A7 concept and Corvette Centennial Concept as question marks to the list.

rv65
12-14-2008, 09:33 PM
www.chinacarusa.com/

Looks like David Shelburg's team is bringing Brilliance to the states. They are no longer interested in Gonow :). They are trying to bring in the Brilliance FR-V and station wagon. I would rather have an official Brilliance site that showcases the cars.

the1
12-14-2008, 11:08 PM
ok here goes nothing. question marks are unconfirmed

<link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CJORDAN%7E1%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5 Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" name="City"></o:smarttagtype><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" name="place"></o:smarttagtype><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]--> <st1:city><st1:place>Toyota</st1:place></st1:city> Prius
Ford Taurus
Ford Mustang GT500
Cadillac SRX
Subaru Coupe Concept
Chevy Equinox
Lamborghini?
Volvo S60 Concept
Aston Martin Rapide?
Audi R8 V10
Fisker Karma production
BMW Z4
Lexus dedicated hybrid
Mini Cooper Cabrio
Honda Insight
Ford Fiesta
Jaguar C-XJ?
Jaguar XF-R
Kia Sorento
Kia concept (Amanti?)---Forte moved to Chicago
Hyundai Sonata Concept?
Saab 9-5 concept?
Cadillac CTS Coupe
Audi RS5
Pointless DCX concepts
Chevy Cruze
Buick Lacrosse
Cadillac DTS Presidential Limo update (cant see any reason why this wouldnt debut here, so I am gonna have it as confirmed)
Mercedes GL Facelift?
Saab 9-3X?
Audi A7 Concept?

Are u sure about these two:
Ford Taurus?
Subaru Coupe Concept (is there any reference to this?)

The A7 is confirmed while I do look VERY much forward to seeing the Volvo S60 concept, Aston Rapide, Audi A7 and the possible Saab 9-5 concept and of course the Jag C-XJ.

against the wall
12-14-2008, 11:21 PM
Ford Taurus has been confirmed for Detroit for nearly a year now...
and Subaru confirmed a coupe concept for Detroit (their joint venture with toyota) about a week ago or so.

63Bonneville
12-15-2008, 01:49 AM
I thought the production Aston Martin Rapide was to premiere in Geneva. If Geneva is the case, it's only a month and a half difference.

against the wall
12-15-2008, 01:50 AM
i figured detroit since official pics are expected in a few weeks, and we have already seen the renders.

Ascariss
12-15-2008, 02:15 AM
I truly hope that there are some suprises in store, so people can take their minds of the drab economic news and auto industry probblems.

against the wall
12-15-2008, 04:55 AM
i hope Jag brings enough to steal the show. that will be a surprise that I hope will happen.

Aυdι
12-15-2008, 09:36 AM
Audi A7 concept is confirmed for Detroit by reliable German sources (some say insiders).
Audi RS 5 is not for Detroit.

the1
12-15-2008, 11:21 AM
So Taurus and new small Subaru coupe confirmed. Good. I just hope Jag will bring its C-Xj and SAAB the 9-5. Can't wait to see those 2.

against the wall
12-15-2008, 10:00 PM
Audi A7 concept is confirmed for Detroit by reliable German sources (some say insiders).
Audi RS 5 is not for Detroit.

yep, it was confirmed today, along with a diesel model

the1
12-17-2008, 10:14 AM
http://www.carspyshots.net/showthread.php?t=16601

So no more Subaru Coupe... Legacy preview instead.

against the wall
12-17-2008, 12:13 PM
changed Subaru Coupe to a question mark (could still happen maybe, with automakers cutting down on shows they could just lump all their new stuff together) and added Legacy concept.

against the wall
12-17-2008, 12:13 PM
reposting list on page 3

<st1:city><st1:place>Toyota</st1:place></st1:city> Prius
Ford Taurus
Ford Mustang GT500
Cadillac SRX
Subaru Coupe Concept?
Chevy Equinox
Lamborghini?
Volvo S60 Concept
Aston Martin Rapide?
Audi R8 V10
Fisker Karma production
Fisker Karma S
BMW Z4
Lexus HS250h
Mini Cooper Cabrio
Honda Insight
Ford Fiesta
Jaguar C-XJ?
Jaguar XF-R
Kia Sorento
Kia Soul pickup concept
Hyundai Sonata Concept?
Saab 9-5 concept?
Cadillac CTS Coupe
Audi RS5?
Pointless DCX concepts
Chevy Cruze
Buick Lacrosse
Mercedes GL Facelift?
Saab 9-3X?
Audi A7 Concept
Audi diesel model
Subaru Legacy Concept
Jeep Patriot EV
Dodge Ram HD
Cadillac Volt?
Mercedes SLR McLaren Stirling Moss (concept)
Maserati Quattroporte Sport GTS
Toyota EV concept

caarmike
12-18-2008, 12:44 AM
Confirmed for Chrysler:
2009 Detroit Auto Show
- Jeep Patriot EV, fourth member of the ENVI division's EV family
- Dodge Ram HD
http://www.autoblog.com/2008/12/17/brouhaha-over-embargoes-leads-to-reveal-of-chryslers-auto-show/

ata10
12-18-2008, 10:57 AM
NAIAS 2009: New Kia Soul pick-up truck concept:

http://www4.slikomat.com/08/1218/cmu-pix-ki.jpg

caarmike
12-19-2008, 01:45 AM
The show must go on!
http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20081218/AUTO04/812180376/1148

Things may not be as bad as I expected.

63Bonneville
12-19-2008, 06:05 PM
Amid all these nice debuts, production at least (I don't know many concepts scheduled for NAIAS at this time of posting), the ones I'm looking forward to mostly (amid all) are the production Fisker Karma, production-close Audi A7, Production Cadillac CTS coupe, new-generation Buick LaCrosse, redesigned Ford Taurus, production Lincoln MKT, among the list.

The production Aston-Martin Rapide would be a hot one to anticipate, as well as the Jaguar C-XJ (concept of upcoming model) and a report of a "surprise" Bentley, but it's not certain a this point if these are set for NAIAS debuts, just speculation.

against the wall
12-19-2008, 11:55 PM
took the Stirling Moss off the list. apparently its not coming to America.

Ascariss
12-20-2008, 12:07 AM
booooo, that's just a stupid idea.

against the wall
12-20-2008, 12:31 AM
well I dont know if its US street legal without the windshield, thus they wouldnt be able to justify Veyron prices for a track-only car.

63Bonneville
12-20-2008, 02:25 AM
well I dont know if its US street legal without the windshield, thus they wouldnt be able to justify Veyron prices for a track-only car.

I thought it was premiering in Detroit, here's one report link: http://www.autoblog.com/2008/12/18/officially-official-mclaren-slr-stirling-moss-to-bow-in-detroit/

I suppose we'll know soon enough.

against the wall
12-20-2008, 04:31 AM
and then theres this contradicting link
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=138306?tid=edmunds.il.home.photopanel..1 .*

JBlair
12-20-2008, 06:59 AM
and then theres this contradicting link
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=138306?tid=edmunds.il.home.photopanel..1 .*

It's debuting at NAIAS. In the press release Mercedes identifies the version that will be shown as a 'concept'.

It will not be sold to American customers, however.

against the wall
12-20-2008, 03:26 PM
hmmmm...theyre taking a page from the GM playbook, I see....

whatever

63Bonneville
12-20-2008, 05:46 PM
Amid all these nice debuts, production at least (I don't know many concepts scheduled for NAIAS at this time of posting), the ones I'm looking forward to mostly (amid all) are the production Fisker Karma, production-close Audi A7, Production Cadillac CTS coupe, new-generation Buick LaCrosse, redesigned Ford Taurus, production Lincoln MKT, among the list.

The production Aston-Martin Rapide would be a hot one to anticipate, as well as the Jaguar C-XJ (concept of upcoming model) and a report of a "surprise" Bentley, but it's not certain a this point if these are set for NAIAS debuts, just speculation.

To add to this earlier post of mine, I'm also looking forward to the premiere of the new BMW Z4, too, but official shots of this beauty have already released, and at all different angles, too - I'll look forward to the live, show-floor shots. Shots of the production Fisker Karma have been released, too, but there were only two shown, we'll soon see more, inside and out, and find out details and specs of this sweet, green ride!

I can also add the Ford Mustang GT500 to my list, and the Jaguar XF-R to my list, with the new 5.0L V8!
(Funny thing - I recently, last week, saw a pre-owned Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 convertible, '07 or '08, on a lot of a Nissan Dealership on Rt. 303 in Rockland County, NY, USA, it very likely may have been traded in for a GT-R)

The Lincoln MKT I also especially look forward to for this has been reported to be the first Lincoln with truly separate and unique body-work apart from it's Ford cousins/plarform-mates (even though the MKS is unique and will stand apart from it's Taurus cousin), and if last year's concept is any indication and it remains fairly close, it'll be truly a stately ride, tall with a 210" length, perhaps a more expressive version of Lincoln's well-received new face with the split grille, and let's not forget about the debut of the Eco-Boost V6 (possibly called Twin-Force for Lincoln division)!

I would figure in getting a few last minute pleasant surprises, too as well as news announcements at the various company press conferences.

against the wall
12-31-2008, 02:05 AM
added Fisker Sunset concept to the list

edit: its the Fisker Karma S now.

63Bonneville
01-01-2009, 02:25 AM
added Fisker Sunset concept to the list

edit: its the Fisker Karma S now.

That teaser pic of the Fisker Karma S/Sunset appears very production close, taking that full-sized outside Mirror into account, as well as the front-fender exhaust like the sedans. This was certainly a nice surprise for NAIAS, as if the production Karma Sedan wasn't enough!

against the wall
01-01-2009, 03:03 AM
its either gonna be a 4 door karma convertible, or a 2 door convertible. im not expecting anything shocking.

63Bonneville
01-02-2009, 10:58 PM
Now... I certainly do not want to wish the rest of my New Years weekend away, as well as the next week and weekend away, as well, but, I gather during the course of next week, many embargos are likely to be lifted with various photos of production products and concepts to debut at NAIAS, and Sunday, 1/11/09 is the first press day, I believe.
I also hope we get some pleasant surprises such as the recent debut news of the Fisker Karma S/Sunset for NAIAS!

63Bonneville
01-03-2009, 05:28 PM
Now here's an update from www.gminsidenews.com, GM will release a second NAIAS vehicle for 1/4/09, that's now just hours away from this post (1/3/09), the link is below:

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f11/gm-release-second-naias-vehicle-jan-4th-73511/

We'll know soon, but could anyone guess in the meantime?

Of course, as I mentioned in a previous post, during the course of next week, many embargos will be lifted prior to the NAIAS press days.

against the wall
01-03-2009, 06:03 PM
shouldnt be too surprising. its either the Lacrosse or the SRX

against the wall
01-03-2009, 06:04 PM
reposting list on page 4

Aston Martin Rapide?
Audi A7 Concept
Audi diesel model
Audi R8 V10
Bentley Continental GTC Speed
BMW Z4
Buick Lacrosse
Cadillac CTS Coupe
Cadillac SRX
Cadillac Volt?
Chevy Corvette Centennial Concept?
Chevy Cruze
Chevy Equinox
Chevy Orlando Concept
Dodge Ram HD
DCX concept(s)
Fisker Karma production
Fisker Karma S
Ford Fiesta
Ford Mustang GT500
Ford Taurus
Ford Unknown (2)
Honda Insight
Hyundai Sonata Concept?
Jaguar C-XJ?-quite possibly confirmed since the official site has them listed for 2 debuts
Jaguar XF-R
Jeep Patriot EV
Kia Soulster concept
Lamborghini something
Lexus HS250h
Mercedes GL Facelift?
Mercedes E-Cell, F-Cell, and E-Plus BlueZero concepts
Mini Cooper Cabrio
Mini Unknown
Saab 9-5 concept?
Saab 9-3X?
Subaru Legacy Concept
Toyota EV concept
Volvo S60 Concept

63Bonneville
01-03-2009, 06:36 PM
shouldnt be too surprising. its either the Lacrosse or the SRX

Yes, those two did come to mind, for some reason, the LaCrosse came to mind first. I would also think that the production CTS coupe would be another candidate. Either way, its' all good which ever one shows in the official pics tomorrow.

This is reminding me of having an office pool on which one GM will show next in photos.

the future
01-03-2009, 08:05 PM

Does it need a debut at all? It's a car that nobody can buy anyway, and why not just show it on Obama's first public appearance as Mr President? Also for security reasons, it could be better not to show such a car on a stand.

against the wall
01-03-2009, 10:01 PM
I dont remember if the last one was on the stand in 04, so I just put it there because the inauguration is coming up and maybe they just want to show it off as being the official car of the President.

MtViewGuy188
01-04-2009, 04:18 PM
Toyota EV concept

a) Could the Ford concept be a potential preview of the third-generation Ford Focus--now back to a single worldwide model?

b) There are some reports the Toyota EV is based on the iQ model that just went on sale in Europe and Japan. This could be a preview of a potential Scion iQ small hatchback coming to the USA market fall 2009 and a pure-electric version of the same vehicle coming in 2011. :)

Ascariss
01-04-2009, 08:13 PM
A focus preview concept would be a nice surprise, but I doubt we'll see anything in NA before a concept shows up in europe first. Granted the focus sedan concept was in asia first but the hatch was already shown as a production model.

against the wall
01-06-2009, 05:39 AM
i have a feeling an embargo for something is gonna break in 20 minutes. we are too close to the show to only have like 3 cars officially revealed.

Ascariss
01-06-2009, 05:46 AM
Aren't press days from the 11th? so I would assume any embargoes would go until sunday at 11:59pm.

against the wall
01-06-2009, 05:48 AM
well theres 6 days until the show and only a handful of vehicles have been de-embargoed. i wouldnt expect them all to be lifted at once, right?

MtViewGuy188
01-06-2009, 06:00 AM
A focus preview concept would be a nice surprise, but I doubt we'll see anything in NA before a concept shows up in europe first. Granted the focus sedan concept was in asia first but the hatch was already shown as a production model.

The reason why I suggested this idea is because the next-generation Focus will likely be a very important model for Ford in the USA market, especially as it will compete against the Honda Civic and Toyota Corolla models, two models that have continued to sell well even in the current economic climate.

DoMiNo
01-06-2009, 06:28 AM
Yeah JBlair and I were having a similar discussion in the new Taurus thread; I thought it would be unlikely that the new Focus would debut here in NA, but then again the thought of debuting a concept here and the production model at a major European auto show is not out of the question.

forked69
01-06-2009, 07:29 PM
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2009/01/cube_detroit_bubble.jpg

63Bonneville
01-06-2009, 11:56 PM
According to this report from www.motorauthority.com, the new-generation Mercedes-Benz E-Class is to debut at Geneva in March, not at NAIAS, as the list had indicated, the link to the article is below:

http://www.motorauthority.com/spy-video-2010-mercedes-benz-e-class-saloon.html

against the wall
01-07-2009, 02:08 AM
just did a somewhat major overhaul to my list to keep it as close as I could with what is confirmed in the Showtalk online mag from the NAIAS site. the big news is that they have 2 debuts listed for Jaguar, so theres a chance we could see the C-XJ after all...
and I finally alphabetized it. it got annoying finding stuff I listed.

Ascariss
01-07-2009, 02:27 AM
I don't think the E class was meant to debut at detriot, and if I recall correctly the old E class also shown at geneva in 2002, althought it debuted in brussels first if I recall correctly.

against the wall
01-07-2009, 02:46 AM
yep, and the facelift debuted in NY. i remember because of how overhyped their press conference was.

against the wall
01-07-2009, 02:49 AM
i added the chevy orlando concept because the sketch is on the official site, and edmunds has it listed. even though i recall them saying they werent gonna bring it to America.

63Bonneville
01-07-2009, 03:19 AM
just did a somewhat major overhaul to my list to keep it as close as I could with what is confirmed in the Showtalk online mag from the NAIAS site. the big news is that they have 2 debuts listed for Jaguar, so theres a chance we could see the C-XJ after all...
and I finally alphabetized it. it got annoying finding stuff I listed.

I believe one of the Jaguar debuts will be the XF-R, that would be a sweet premiere, so possibly we could be in for a pleasant surprise.

Also, you never know what anyone shrouds in secrecy or what pops up unexpectedly.

exl500
01-07-2009, 03:05 PM
Unfortunately I believe the second Jaguar will be the facelifted XK.

63Bonneville
01-07-2009, 05:36 PM
Now, today (1/7/09) www.gminsidenews.com is stating that photos of another NAIAS debut vehicle will be unveiled at 12:01AM on 1/8/09 - this could either be the production Cadillac CTS coupe or the long awaited Epsilon-2 based Buick LaCrosse!

Perhaps it's the LaCrosse, we already have seen a production-close Caddy CTS coupe concept at NYIAS/New York during 2008. If it's the Buick, when will we see the production CTS coupe?

DoMiNo
01-07-2009, 05:40 PM
I thought the production CTS coupe had been delayed? It could also be a Saab.

63Bonneville
01-07-2009, 06:54 PM

I can believe that, and I think that something like the XJ-C (production-close next-generation XJ concept) would be something that would premiere at Geneva, which really isn't all too far off. I would think that the production Aston-Martin Rapide would also show at Geneva, but a concept of the the reborn Lagonda, under Aston Martin is also possible to show at Geneva, along with a possible Maybach which is tied into a partnership and cooperation via Aston-Martin and Daimler.

the1
01-07-2009, 07:55 PM
No XJ-C would be a huge dissapointment for me.

I hope the GM car will be a SAAB 9-5 concept or at least the new 9-4.

Ascariss
01-07-2009, 08:35 PM

count on it, the car started testing before christmas without camo, it's ready for its debut.

against the wall
01-07-2009, 10:39 PM
bump for page 5 and added xB release series

Aston Martin Rapide?
Audi A7 Concept
Audi diesel model
Audi R8 V10
Bentley Continental GTC Speed
BMW Z4
Buick Lacrosse
Cadillac CTS Coupe?
Cadillac SRX
Cadillac E-Flex coupe concept
Chevy Beat
Chevy Corvette Centennial Concept?
Chevy Cruze
Chevy Equinox
Chevy Orlando Concept
Dodge Ram HD
DCX concept(s)
Fisker Karma production
Fisker Karma S
Ford Fiesta
Ford Mustang GT500
Ford Taurus
Ford Unknown (1)
Honda Insight
Hyundai Sonata Concept?
Jaguar C-XJ?-quite possibly confirmed since the official site has them listed for 2 debuts
Jaguar XF-R
Jeep Patriot EV
Kia Soulster concept
Lamborghini something
Lexus HS250h
Lincoln Concept
Mercedes GL Facelift?
Mercedes E-Cell, F-Cell, and E-Plus BlueZero concepts
Mini Cooper Cabrio
Mini Unknown
Saab 9-5 concept?
Saab 9-3X?
Scion xB Release Series 6.0
Subaru Legacy Concept
Toyota EV concept
Volvo S60 Concept

DoMiNo
01-09-2009, 04:03 AM
Jalopnik figures that there will be a Lincoln Concept there as well (http://jalopnik.com/5126944/exclusive-sync-video-teases-lincoln-detroit-auto-show-concept).

against the wall
01-09-2009, 04:43 AM
i guess thats one of the unknown Ford models I have on the list. i have no idea what this might preview, but it looks pretty huge.

DoMiNo
01-09-2009, 05:10 AM
Yeah, it does look big.

*crosses fingers for a Falcon-based RWD sedan* :D

Or how about a preview to a unibody Navigator?

against the wall
01-09-2009, 05:35 AM
thats what I am thinking. the ceiling in the car is very SUV like, and its definitely not a sedan.

Ascariss
01-09-2009, 07:15 AM
perhaps a crossover?

DoMiNo
01-09-2009, 07:19 AM
If it's a crossover, then maybe they won't be showing the production MKT at NAIAS. That would be a little...redundant :confused:

Ascariss
01-09-2009, 07:53 AM
I meant it more as a styling exercise crossover to show off new direction in design or evolution of the current design.

DoMiNo
01-09-2009, 08:13 AM
Gotcha :D

In any event, something else to look forward to!

63Bonneville
01-09-2009, 05:10 PM
I don't know if I misinterpreted the last few posts, but are we now going to see the production MKT at NAIAS, or are we not?

Or, is this an additional Ford/Lincoln concept debut slated to appear at NAIAS?

DoMiNo
01-09-2009, 05:21 PM
This is a different concept, and if I understand correctly the production MKT will still be debuting.

63Bonneville
01-09-2009, 06:26 PM
So, at NAIAS, there appears to be lots of excitement in the Ford and Lincoln stands! There's the new-generation Taurus, the Mustang Shelby GT500, possibly the production Fiesta, The Lincoln MKT and the mentioned Lincoln surprise concept, plus also likely the debut of the production Eco-Boost V6 for the MKT, MKS and Taurus (possibly Flex). I was watching that video with SYNC, and the concept teaser - I'd love to see SYNC eventually reach that level, as great as it is now!

Another debut looks to come from Cadillac - this surfaced today (1/9/09) at www.leftlanenews.com, an E-Flex coupe concept at Cadillac, the link to the report is below:

http://www.leftlanenews.com/cadillac-e-flex-coupe-concept.html

I also wonder if the production CTS coupe will appear - the production CTS wagon already has, I've seen it at a local Auto Expo in Nassau County/Long Island, NY back in October 2008.

Now to top this off, here is a report and some official shots of the Jaguar XFR, slated to debut at NAIAS, link is below:

http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2009/01/2010-jaguar-xfr-with-510hp-official.html

Ascariss
01-09-2009, 08:42 PM
That XF-R looks mind boggling and lucious. I'd sell my soul to own one. :D

against the wall
01-10-2009, 06:08 AM
damn, I cant believe how much the leaks have been kept to a minimum this year. about 24 hours from now should be very lively with embargo breakings.

MtViewGuy188
01-10-2009, 07:07 AM
I think the biggest news from Ford will be the showing of the North American version of the new Fiesta in 3/5-door hatchback and 4-door sedan versions. Expect a different nose design compared to the European model and possibly longer rear bumpers for two reasons: 1) NHTSA safety requirements and 2) the nose matches the design philosophy of the Fusion sedan and the new Taurus sedan. The engine will be a 1.6-liter Zetec SE with Ti-VCT variable valve timing mated to the Ford-Getrag Powershift dual-clutch transmission.

the1
01-10-2009, 11:09 AM
1.6-liter Zetec SE with Ti-VCT variable valve timing mated to the Ford-Getrag Powershift dual-clutch transmission.

Wow! I hope they'll start selling this combo in Europe as well. I'd like to see the 1.6 diesel combined with the Powershift as well.

Ascariss
01-10-2009, 10:51 PM
Some info on the show schedule

NAIAS 2009 Press Conference Schedule Revisions

Sunday, January 11, 2009
7:00 am
Media Credential Office Opens / Oakland Concourse

8:15-8:40 am
Johnson Controls / D2-15

8:45 am
Show Floor Opens

9:00-9:20 am
NAIAS 2009 Opening Ceremony / Michigan Hall Stage

9:20-9:50 am
North American Car and Truck of the Year Awards / Michigan Hall Stage

10:00-10:35 am
General Motors

10:50-11:15 am
Lexus / Riverview Ballroom

11:25-11:50 am
Ford / Cobo Arena

12:00-12:25 pm
Chrysler

12:35-1:00 pm
BMW

1:10-1:35 pm
Volkswagen

1:45-2:10 pm
Bentley

2:20-2:45 pm
Kia

2:55-3:20 pm
Audi

3:30-3:55 pm
MINI

4:05-4:30 pm
Lamborghini

4:40-5:05 pm
Subaru

5:15-5:40 pm
Jaguar / Main Show Floor

5:50-6:15 pm
Volvo / Main Show Floor

Monday, January 12, 2009
Show Floor Opens

8:30-8:55 am
Michelin Corporate

9:05-9:30 am
Lincoln-Mercury / Cobo Arena

9:40-10:05 am
Maserati

10:15-10:40 am
General Motors

10:50-11:15 am
BYD

11:30-11:55 am
Toyota / Riverview Ballroom

12:10-12:35 pm
Brilliance

12:45-1:00 pm
Lamborghini Fashion Show / Lamborghini stand

1:10-1:35 pm
Fisker

1:45-2:10 pm
Revenge Designs

2:20 pm
General Motors / Saturn Photo Op / Outdoor Driveway Oakland Entrance

2:55-3:20 pm
Michelin Challenge Design / Michigan Hall

3:30-3:55 pm
Alpine / O2-44

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Show Floor Opens

9:15-9:40 am
Stile Bertone Alfa Romeo B.A.T. 11dk

10:00-10:25 am
DENSO / Michigan Hall Stage

10:35-11:00 am
Johnson Controls / D2-15

11:50am-12:15 pm
EyesOn Design Awards at the NAIAS / Michigan Hall Stage

1:00 - 1:25 pm
Tesla / MEDC EcoXperience / Michigan Hall

against the wall
01-11-2009, 05:30 AM
half hour until the flurry of stuff, hopefully.

Ascariss
01-11-2009, 06:04 AM
hmm 9pm on the west coast now and so far nothing.

against the wall
01-11-2009, 06:06 AM
the taurus PR was released. only 1 pic though.

63Bonneville
01-11-2009, 07:42 AM
To my surprise, the new-generation E-Class was shown in Detroit after all, but, at a private event. Publicly it will debut in Geneva, I believe, and, that really isn't all too far off from now, some 2 months. It appears even more impressive than I had thought in the live shots I've seen!

boston
01-12-2009, 04:35 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2009/01/12/automobiles/autoshow/0112-show_index.html?emc=eta3\\
BMW M3
MB E Class /SLR
Dodge electrics
AUDI Sportback

DoMiNo
01-12-2009, 05:10 PM
Well I dunno about everyone else, but I've been pleasantly surprised by the quality of NAIAS in what I expected to be a very depressing year. A lot of people had kind of written off the Detroit show but I think the debuts here proved that it's still relevant.

asrapid
01-12-2009, 07:09 PM
So no concept XJ from Jaguar. And no aston martin Rapide:sad2:

63Bonneville
01-12-2009, 08:10 PM
So no concept XJ from Jaguar. And no aston martin Rapide:sad2:

I would suppose those will show at Geneva; they're great candidates for that expo. That's only about two months from now, anyway.

the1
01-12-2009, 09:34 PM
The biggest missing car is the Ford Focus post-kynetic design concept or whatever it was supposed to be.

against the wall
01-12-2009, 09:59 PM
hold up. is that a green Fiesta in the last pic from Boston's link?

63Bonneville
01-12-2009, 10:06 PM
What about the new-generation Kia Sorrento?

against the wall
01-12-2009, 10:50 PM
im surprised there werent any Hyundai debuts at all...

PRODIGY
01-13-2009, 02:25 AM
Well I dunno about everyone else, but I've been pleasantly surprised by the quality of NAIAS in what I expected to be a very depressing year. A lot of people had kind of written off the Detroit show but I think the debuts here proved that it's still relevant.

Yeah, against the odds this has turned out to be a great show. So many nice surprises and debuts. The only let down was.....

The biggest missing car is the Ford Focus post-kynetic design concept or whatever it was supposed to be.

.....^^^ this not showing up!

63Bonneville
01-13-2009, 10:12 PM
I was also hoping to see the production Cadillac CTS coupe.
Maybe Chicago or New York it would debut.

rv65
01-14-2009, 09:33 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=me3-0EL9rkE

Brilliance's presentation. Autokam ran by David Shelburg will indeed be selling the vehicles to the USA.

rv65
01-15-2009, 08:03 AM
www.autokam.us
http://www.brillianceauto.us now www.brillianceautokam.com

Now Autokam has changed their chinglish ridden brilliance auto site for a new US website. Brilliance has no timeline but China Car USA thinks they can sell cars here later this year. Autokam is now Briiliance Autokam North America, LLC. They updated the blog on autokam and have youtube videos. Finally Brilliance is serious about getting a good website for the NA consumer.

63Bonneville
01-15-2009, 09:29 PM
Anyone know if they're going to have their annual live TV broadcast special of NAIAS this year, as they do every year?
If so, what day and what network?