PDA

View Full Version : The Non-Automotive Automobile Contest! (Yeah, you read that right.)

DoMiNo
09-03-2008, 09:32 PM
Again, congrats to mrfdesign for his winning entry in the Acura TL redesign contest. Here are the topics he has suggested for the next contest:

1. Fiat Barchetta Revival: The automotive world lost a quirky and fun little roadster with the unceremonious passing of the Barchetta. Fiat's revitalized fortunes and renewed emphasis on sporty cars provides the ideal opportunity for a new small cabriolet to carry the banner into the next decade.

2. 2010 Honda S2000: Unlike the Barchetta, the S2000 has successfully weathered the ups and downs of the fickle and turbulent sports car market. However, it soldiers on with very minimal design changes and has by all accounts grown a little long in the tooth. A fresh new design will bring the S2000 replacement back into the forefront of enthusiasts' minds.

3. Car from a non-automotive manufacturer: Car designers often draw inspiration from beyond the automotive industry; there are so many companies known for their distinctive aesthetics, whose focus on design has played a large role in their success. Choose a non-automotive company and show us how you think they would design a car.

Have at the voting! Once we get a consensus we'll get the new contest rolling :) Thanks all!!

Kramer
09-03-2008, 11:34 PM
Ahh, I already have a Honda S2000 refresh, so it'll only be a matter of touching up the old drawing if this contest is chosen =)

swizzle
09-04-2008, 12:46 AM
3. Car from a non-automotive manufacturer: Car designers often draw inspiration from beyond the automotive industry; there are so many companies known for their distinctive aesthetics, whose focus on design has played a large role in their success. Choose a non-automotive company and show us how you think they would design a car.

Have at the voting! Once we get a consensus we'll get the new contest rolling :) Thanks all!!

I shudder to think of the Microsoft Windows Vista crossover! Egad!

I imagine the Trojan (condom) sportscar would have a long sleek hood. Oh wait! The Jaguar XK-E already exists.

DoMiNo
09-04-2008, 04:05 PM
Bump, for votes.

LamboMan
09-04-2008, 07:31 PM
I'll go with the third one coz IMO the rest are a bit boring....

swizzle
09-05-2008, 12:41 AM
The third one demands by far the most creativity because there is no legacy to have to uphold all while capturing the essence of the brand.

Apple Mini Mac...hmmm

DoMiNo
09-05-2008, 07:09 AM
http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/5797/nonautobannereb8.jpg

Though our focus here in the CSS Automotive Design section remains...well, automotive design, it is obvious that distinctive design and careful, deliberate branding transcend the automotive realm. Look around you: your phones, your video game consoles, your shoes, your computers, your floor lamps, your sofas, essentially everything we consume has been, in some way, designed. Designed to stand out, to exude toughness, to convey social status, to make us desire, to make us feel that every object we see or touch and every item we purchase is contributing in some way to our unique and inimitable individualities. In a globalized consumer culture we define ourselves in large part by the objects with which we constantly surround ourselves.

So it is, then, that unique and appealing design plays a vital role in our cultures. Companies spanning every possible industry employ countless professionals tasked with delineating brands through aesthetic differences, in ways that appeal to the largest market possible. The automotive industry is perhaps the most incredible example of how comparatively subtle mechanical differences among competing products can be masked by vastly differing exterior and interior designs, allowing consumers almost unlimited possibility to choose the car that best fits them, and best conveys the image they would in turn like to portray to the world.

But not everyone is a car fanatic. And despite a mindblowing variety of models available to the modern consumer, not every person can expect to find an automobile that adequately coincides with his or her identity. So many of us think of ourselves more in terms of our iPods and XBoxes, our Nike shoes or Prada bags, our Salomon skis, our Burton snowboards, our Omega watches, our Oakley sunglasses, our Dell computers...or any item that we feel best embodies our individual lifestyles and/or worldviews.

Your task, designers, is to branch out from automotive convention. Let's let go of the Fords and Ferraris, the Peugeots and Porsches, the Hondas and Hummers; and let's design vehicles that will truly cater to the vastly varying tastes of worldwide consumers. Choose a non-automotive brand with a distinctive style, and design the automobile that you think best represents it. Your car must exemplify the spirit and the carefully-cultured aesthetic identity of your brand (i.e. the styling traits indicative of that brand must be obvious; no throwing corporate logos onto random cars) and you should provide some written explanation as to why your car caters to the company's target market.

Unleash your creativity, designers! After several more restrictive contests, there was an overwhelming desire on the part of participants to do something really "out there." So I expect some awesome ideas and incredible designs! Try to think outside the box; pick something less obvious, or create a new segment of vehicle. The sky's the limit!

Best of luck everyone.

This contest will close on September 20th.

ClunBB9
09-05-2008, 11:53 PM
Wow, this contest is my assignment for the next semister... unfortunately, I have not even come close to starting on this project.

NelsonDesign
09-06-2008, 01:20 AM
Alright, I am calling the Nintendo Wii

Kramer
09-06-2008, 03:37 AM
Apple-mobile is mine.

EDIT: Apple is up for grabs, I give up trying to design a minimalist car that still looks nice.

I'm thinking about either Adidas or Nike...

VexedandGlorious
09-06-2008, 07:14 AM
well if were calling brands, puma

or2007
09-06-2008, 12:12 PM
i think i'll try to have a go too

i'm taking Lacoste, i'll see where it leads me too

Jordmaniac_2.0
09-06-2008, 02:40 PM
Sony PSC is mine

swizzle
09-07-2008, 03:13 PM
Apple-mobile is mine.
EDIT: Apple is up for grabs, I give up trying to design a minimalist car that still looks nice.

And yet that is the essence of the original Mini. You may not want to let it go so quickly. There are actually more than a few minimalist cars in automotive history that are stunning. The Lamborghini Islero is definitely minimalist though hardly plain. The same could be said of the Jaguar XKE (as Americans were fond of calling it). The Golf/Rabbit I was pretty minimalist as was the first Scirocco. The classic definition of minimalism is a design that is so inherently pleasing that it does not need adornment to make it so. Eichler homes and Eames designs are some other examples worth noodling around in for ideas. Bauhaus might also be something worth rummaging through for additional minimalist ideas.

LamboMan
09-07-2008, 04:47 PM
hmm.....i was just thinking......why dont we just post our entries thus keeping the chosen brand a surprise rather than telling everyone beforehand what we choose to model our entries after. I know that doing this will most probably result in just a few people choosing the same brand but then that would allow us to compare the designs a little more easily.....and then there's the suspense of it all. Well, just thinking out loud.:)

AXIS
09-07-2008, 05:23 PM
good point LamboMan all this "brand claiming" is unnecessary

DoMiNo
09-07-2008, 05:49 PM
Indeed. Bear in mind, everyone, that the winning entry should not be the one with the most creative brand, per se, but that entry which best embodies its brand's core traits and values. "Calling" a brand is not only unnecessary in that others can choose it anyway, it's also kind of missing the point of the exercise.

PRODIGY
09-08-2008, 05:08 PM
R A L E I G H - C I K E

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb251/adythesaxoman/car%20drawings/logo2.png

Here is the perfect 'car' for commuting in London. Combining the manoeuvrability of a bicycle with the safety of a car, the CIKE really is the commuters best friend.

It is a single seater with 1 door situated on the kerbside for safety. The wheels extend outwards round corners to help with the stability.

The CIKE is propelled by a 350cc motor with start/stop technology which cuts the engine out at traffic lights and restarts with depressing the clutch pedal. This brings the CIKE into the lowest tax bracket which means you pay zilch for road tax and arev exempt from the congestion charge.

Bicycle design cues adorn the sides, and the wheels are modelled on a bikes wheels.

Here is the Raleigh CIKE

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb251/adythesaxoman/car%20drawings/img107cike2.jpg

This was a very very quick doodle that I ended up liking so much that I thought i'd enter it.

I did want to use 'Dyson' as my brand, and design a car with a ball for the front wheel. However my lack of drawing skills made all of my attempts at drawing this comical!

emotive
09-09-2008, 07:36 AM
awesome idea about the bike design cues on the side~
i was also vacuuming the house yesterday and i was thinking about the comp... and then i was like, DYSON!!! but i cant come up with anything... also was gonna do apple but its too common, imo. i think i have a good one under my sleeve.

MartinEDesign
09-10-2008, 08:25 PM
I am entering, I have an idea of a futuristic looking car, just need to find the brand that I can't remember the name off, but I will def. enter!

against the wall
09-10-2008, 08:29 PM
prodigy....its pronounced "sike", right?

galv
09-11-2008, 01:04 AM
And yet that is the essence of the original Mini.
very true, Alec Issigonis rejected any attempts to make his car 'stylish'.

I've never tried one of these contests before but I might enter this one with an IKEA branded car. Looking forward to seeing the final entries for this one.

PRODIGY
09-11-2008, 04:27 PM
prodigy....its pronounced "sike", right?

You know, I hadn't actually thought of how you'd pronounce it lol.

The name is a cross between car and bike. I guess "sike" would be the one, seeing as it's also close to "cycle".

Or if you were a bit mad i suppose it could be prounounced "kick-e" lol.

against the wall
09-11-2008, 08:15 PM
no, i was just hoping it wasnt pronounced kike.

DoMiNo
09-11-2008, 09:00 PM
lol, wow, yeah, that would be a bit of a PR nightmare.

Possible pronunciation issues aside, I think it's a neat idea, PRODIGY. It is indeed the perfect car for commuting in London. Even without explicit stylistic references to Raleigh's bicycle heritage (which work well but are a little obvious), it would still capture the brand personality in that it fulfills much the same function as a bike by addressing the shortcomings of a traditional car. It's easy to maneuver and park in tight spaces, it avoids congestion charges, and it's eco-friendly (perhaps not as much as a bike, but hey, it's also faster and probably safer).

At times it astonishes me that this concept hasn't caught on already, even in cities like London or New York. Perhaps a recognizeable name like Raleigh would provide the impetus for more people to take interest.

Great concept, though not your best drawing.

NelsonDesign
09-12-2008, 02:19 AM
Sorry fellahs, I'm actually gonna sit this one out, nintendo wii is up for grabs

PRODIGY- design is cool, but I think the bike part of it is a bit too literal

Kramer
09-12-2008, 05:14 AM
I'm definitely going to hell... I laughed for a full minute at against the wall's comment =\

PRODIGY
09-12-2008, 02:34 PM
no, i was just hoping it wasnt pronounced kike.

I just googled 'kike', oops! Didn't realise what kike meant. If I'd have known i'd have named it differently, like cyclar or somethin.

lol, wow, yeah, that would be a bit of a PR nightmare.

Possible pronunciation issues aside, I think it's a neat idea, PRODIGY. It is indeed the perfect car for commuting in London. Even without explicit stylistic references to Raleigh's bicycle heritage (which work well but are a little obvious), it would still capture the brand personality in that it fulfills much the same function as a bike by addressing the shortcomings of a traditional car. It's easy to maneuver and park in tight spaces, it avoids congestion charges, and it's eco-friendly (perhaps not as much as a bike, but hey, it's also faster and probably safer).

At times it astonishes me that this concept hasn't caught on already, even in cities like London or New York. Perhaps a recognizeable name like Raleigh would provide the impetus for more people to take interest.

Great concept, though not your best drawing.

Cheers DoM. Yeah the drawing really was a 2 minute doodle on some scrap paper at work. I didn't have time to re-draw it, and wouldn't have had the time before the contests end (Driving my MG too much lol), so I coloured it and posted.

I agree that this would be the perfect car for cities like London and New York.

Sorry fellahs, I'm actually gonna sit this one out, nintendo wii is up for grabs

PRODIGY- design is cool, but I think the bike part of it is a bit too literal

The bike part is deliberate, I saw this as the only way to make it obviously a 'Raleigh'.

Without the bike graphics on the side, IMO it would not be obvious that it was made by a cycle manufacturer.

Cheers for the C+C!

Where's the rest of the entries!!! C'mon, get 'em posted!

against the wall
09-12-2008, 07:56 PM
how about autocycle?

DoMiNo
09-12-2008, 08:18 PM
Where's the rest of the entries!!! C'mon, get 'em posted!

I really want to enter. I have a ton of ideas running through my mind, I just haven't had the chance to sit down and put them all on paper. I may have to end up extending this if we don't get any more entries.

The possibilities are endless, guys! This is the contest so many of you were waiting for!

PRODIGY
09-13-2008, 12:42 AM
how about autocycle?

That is a very good name! Patent it!

I really want to enter. I have a ton of ideas running through my mind, I just haven't had the chance to sit down and put them all on paper. I may have to end up extending this if we don't get any more entries.

The possibilities are endless, guys! This is the contest so many of you were waiting for!

I think that this contest has so many possibilities, that people are having to really think about this before the pencil hits the paper. Hopefully in the next few days we'll have a flood of cool ideas.

against the wall
09-13-2008, 12:45 AM
someone should make a Gatorade car...that runs on electrolytes.

VexedandGlorious
09-13-2008, 12:53 AM
I wont be able to post anything until next friday at the latest, so I might not make the deadline

emotive
09-14-2008, 01:13 AM
yeah cant post until the end of the week cos i just had exams and they're still givin me heaps of homework so we get used to year 10/high school which we're gonna be starting in about 4 weeks... =/

Steve Neill
09-14-2008, 10:54 PM
I think I will be doing a high end fashion brand like Versace or maybe Chanel or Polo.

DoMiNo
09-17-2008, 07:15 PM
Started on my entry... should be up late this week :)

swizzle
09-18-2008, 02:47 AM
The lack of entries is troubling! Fingers crossed!

or2007
09-18-2008, 05:52 AM
i hope i'll be done with mine today :)

SV
09-18-2008, 05:58 PM
i'd love to try and design an apple icar, since it's the obvious choice for a non car-branded car yet it's rarely been attempted. i'm out of power, though, because of hurricane ike (i live in houston, though i'm currently being a refugee in dallas), so i won't be able to enter before the deadline....my house isn't supposed to get power restored until "sometime after the 22nd"...damn suburbs get priority...

i'm gonna toy around with this though, if the contest has been extended when i get back i might enter something if i deem it good enough =P

DoMiNo
09-18-2008, 06:02 PM
Well hereís my entry, a Caterpillar pickup, inspired by the company's massive dump trucks, earth movers, and other heavy equipment. Finished in Catís iconic yellow, with tough, matte black accents and a massive grille inspired by the carís namesakeóthe 775F off-highway truckóthe HT775 would be the most rugged and capable truck on (or off) the road. Powered by a massive turbodiesel V8, it would have copious reserves of instantly-available torque for hauling, towing, and rock crawling; and a heavy-duty four-wheel drive system. Some interesting details include a built in auxiliary generator (diesel) to power tools, lights, and other equipment; as well as a class-unique, articulating hydraulic ďdump truckĒ bed for loads of gravel, dirt, sand, etc. A convenient feature when hauling heavy loads.

<link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CMatt%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsoht ml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" name="place"></o:smarttagtype><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" name="City"></o:smarttagtype><!--><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Youíre looking at the manly man of the truck world. The Paul Bunyan, the <st1:city w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Sherman</st1:place></st1:city> tank, the bank vault. The hearty bowl of beef stew in a world of tofu and bean sprout finger sandwiches. It doesnít cover miles, it [I]conquers them. It carries steel, and boulders, and hay bales. Not antiques. Not organic potting soil. Not a pony. It looks just as good when itís filthy as when itís clean. No, it looks [I]better. Itís bigger, more powerful, and more capable than any truck on the road. And itís built by the company that is the very definition of tough: Caterpillar.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
The new H775 extreme duty pickup is the result of decades of experience in earth-moving, heavy loading, harvesting, grading, mining, and dozing. A vehicle that is equal parts truck and locomotive, with enough pavement-wrenching torque to register on the Richter scale and so much sheer presence that itís practically visible from space. <o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
The new CAT H775 doesnít raise the bar, it picks up the bar and twists it into a pretzel. And it will never break a sweat. It remembers when ďbrawnyĒ was more than just a brand of paper towels. And itís as rugged, dependable, and reliable as you are.

The new HT775. From Caterpillar. On sale soon.

http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/6949/cath775sj5.jpg

AXIS
09-18-2008, 06:12 PM
Talk about "Monster Truck" Very nice DoMiNo!

DoMiNo
09-18-2008, 07:13 PM
Talk about "Monster Truck"

Hehe, thanks AXIS :grintoothless:

swizzle
09-19-2008, 12:29 PM
And to think, that 10 years ago a truck like that would not only have been a viable concept car, it would have gone into production with a Hemi within weeks. Amazing how fast the times changed. The design captures the elements of the brand quite well.

AXIS
09-19-2008, 10:02 PM
Finally! got the design right, here goes my entry...

NIKE Flight - X - In the near future, not only will we wear Nike's we will drive them.

Not content with dominating the footwear market, Nike continues to establish itself as a lifestyle brand
and has set their sites on the automotive sector with the announcement of the Nike Flight - X.

The Flight-X is a fuel celled powered supercar which will make its debut on the race tracks and later released as a limited-edition offering to consumers. The design was influenced by some of Nike's most popular sneakers, classic LeMans Racers and stingrays.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y141/hellospaceboy/NIKE_FlightX.jpg

swizzle
09-20-2008, 02:23 PM
I like it a lot! Love the fins.

against the wall
09-20-2008, 04:03 PM
thats a fantastic design. my favorite is the subtle Nike swoosh on the sides.

or2007
09-20-2008, 04:44 PM
so, after a long while, i'm back to the contests!! yay to me :woot2:

i've decided to take a personal favorite brand - Lacoste, and here's what i came up with:

In a special press conference in Paris, France, Lacoste unveiled it's special treat celebrating its 75th anniversary.

After the brand's success in perfumes, clothing and watches and other accessories, the brand decided to work on a new gem, combining its expertise in fine products.
And this gem has it all - all the company stands for and more.
The car's meant to represent light, sporty lifestyle, small enough to fit anywhere, and yet there's room enough for any sporting equipment.
And that's not all - the car's also enviromental friendly, as it uses highly efficient hybrid engine, yet does not compromises when it comes to performance. This little convertible can get up to 250km\h!

Also, the car comes with a little kick - a small storing place espacially for your Lacoste perfumes! And of course, it comes with specially made sporting equipment as standard!

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b189/or2005/lacoste2.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b189/or2005/lacoste3.jpg

PRODIGY
09-20-2008, 05:08 PM
Very good entries!

I'll comment in detail in the voting.

Love all of them though!

against the wall
09-20-2008, 05:28 PM
with the holes and the colors, Crocs wouldnt be such a bad brand either (even though the shoes are hideous)

DoMiNo
09-20-2008, 06:38 PM
So glad we're finally getting some more entries! Terrific entries, no less.

AXIS - sweet car, man, even better than the sketches suggested. As I mentioned before, I love the way you've managed to integrate certain textures from a running shoe as well as Nike-specific elements (the Shox coils, the swoosh, and even the grille which seems to mimic the toe of a shoe) without making it look like, well, a shoe :P Indeed the car itself is very racy and almost looks like a fighter jet with those tail fins. Very aggressive, nice job!

or2007 - Another fitting interpretation of an iconic sport/fashion brand, and a similar approach in that you've utilized some more literal elements of Lacoste products (the treatment of the sides, in particular, which seems like something off a tennis shoe). The two-tone look and the trademark use of bright Pastel colors really help convey the classy but casual image for which Lacoste is known, without seeming contrived; the color choices, in this instance, act as powerful design elements in themselves. A fun car for a beautiful spring or summer day.

emotive
09-20-2008, 11:49 PM
ok im sitting it out cos i was gonna do a katmandu or a colorado off-roader but dom already did it at a far higher standard :cry:

DoMiNo
09-21-2008, 05:52 AM
ok im sitting it out cos i was gonna do a katmandu or a colorado off-roader but dom already did it at a far higher standard :cry:

I would certainly encourage you to reconsider!

I think an extension is in order, if anyone thinks they can work in an entry.

Anybody think they'd be able to pull something together with an extra few days?

DoMiNo
09-22-2008, 05:56 AM
...seriously? Anyone? Or should I just close this?

or2007
09-22-2008, 12:51 PM
c'mon people! start working!

lol no really, anyone?

DoMiNo
09-22-2008, 03:54 PM
Fair enough :/

***CONTEST CLOSED***

Thank you to our participants! What we lacked in quantity, we made up for in quality ;)

Voting will be up shortly.

DoMiNo
09-22-2008, 04:15 PM
Well, while I would have obviously hoped for wider participation in this contest, I understand that some folks prefer topics a bit more defined, and moreover I understand that a lot of you are busy.

To the intrepid few who decided to take this project on, I salute you :P And to those who have already lent their comments and critiques, thanks as well. Now it's time to vote on the concept you feel best fits the contest criteria. For the sake of consistency voting rules will remain the same, i.e. ten votes spread among your four favorite entries, even though there are, well, only four entries. If you are unfamiliar with the voting procedures or have other questions please refer to the contest rules here (http://www.carspyshots.net/showthread.php?t=2363).

As always, try to put some thought into your votes. If necessary, refer back to the entrants' individual descriptions in the contest thread to get more insight into their respective concepts. And as always, comments/explanation are welcome along with your votes.

But the more votes the better! If you're just passing through, please take a couple of minutes to look these designs over and lend your feedback. Voting is, as always, open to all.

Here are the entries in the order received:

(Full Gallery (http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/3038/gallerynonautojs8.jpg))
http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/3038/gallerynonautojs8.th.jpg (http://img90.imageshack.us/my.php?image=gallerynonautojs8.jpg)

PRODIGY (http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/3671/prodigyfo2.jpg)
http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/3671/prodigyfo2.th.jpg (http://img90.imageshack.us/my.php?image=prodigyfo2.jpg)

DoMiNo (http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/6949/cath775sj5.jpg)
http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/6949/cath775sj5.th.jpg (http://img216.imageshack.us/my.php?image=cath775sj5.jpg)

AXIS (http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/941/axisao7.jpg)
http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/941/axisao7.th.jpg (http://img90.imageshack.us/my.php?image=axisao7.jpg)

or2007 (http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/1805/or20071fb9.jpg)
http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/1805/or20071fb9.th.jpg (http://img220.imageshack.us/my.php?image=or20071fb9.jpg)

Thanks again for your time, everyone. Happy voting, and good luck designers!

PRODIGY
09-22-2008, 05:46 PM
I'm in a weird situation where I can only vote for 3 people. I've PMed DoMiNo, and he's ok with me voting, so i'm gonna spread 10 points over 3 entries.

__________________________________________________ _-

Equal first place, both of these fit the brief perfectly and fit the brands perfectly, as well as being very good looking cars.....

4 - DoMiNo: I know that big SUVs/trucks are far from politically correct and are going out of fashion faster than Michael Jackson, but that's exactly why we need a car like this. An Anti-hero if you like.. the joker to the batmans of this world, the Dr Evil to Austin powers... you get the picture lol. But this would differ from Hummer by being a brand that makes other products too, and therefore won't be seen as such an enemy. Your entry perfectly matches Caterpillars image, and the styling ties it in with the rest of the 'range'. Very good looking truck, and far easier on the eye than the Tonka toy looking Hummer.

4 - AXIS: I've always liked the idea of a sports brand launching a car, and your entry shows just how effective it can be. The styling elements are perfect, it's crazy how well the Nike 'tick' works on a car design. The fact that it's a fuel cell will please people of a green persuasion and I could see the Nike car becoming as big a money spinner as the sneakers. Amazing job! Very good looking and sporty machine that will appeal to the fashion conscious aswell as petrol heads.

2 - or2007: Sorry it's only 2 points mate, your entry is also excellent, and fits the brand well. I love the styling, and colours. Another environmentally friendly entry too. I simply prefer the sporty looking Nike, and DoM's monster truck.

________________________________________--

This is the part where i'd comment on the others who didn't get a vote from me, oh how sad that only 4 people entered!

AXIS
09-23-2008, 01:30 AM
4 - DoMiNo: love the chunky Tonka Truck styling. Fits perfect with the brand and is exactly what I would expect if Caterpillar produced a commercial vehicle. This would definitely shake up the segment and give the majors a run for their money. good job!

3 - or2007: It fits inline with the sporty image of Lacoste, however the side treatment throws off the nice clean design.

3 - PRODIGY: This is perhaps the most feasible entry in this contest. The bicycle frame graphic is a nice touch. Plus with soaring fuel prices and more people turning to bikes as a primary means of transportation in major cities this would definitely be a hit with consumers.

or2007
09-23-2008, 09:55 AM
hmm... hard to vote when there are only 4 entries! lol
but here goes, but i don't have too much time to write, so no long comments...sorry!

4-DoMiNo. great work on figuring the brand's image, and making a car out of it lol

3-AXIS. a really good looking car that fits the brand's image. the Nike logo looks just right on the car :)

3-PRODIGY. I really like the idea, it's a great solution for urban areas, and the car's (bike? lol) design's really cool

DoMiNo
09-23-2008, 03:28 PM
As mentioned, it was very tough to vote, not only because there were so few entries but because each of them brought a totally unique approach to the criteria. Very nice work, all.

4 - AXIS
3 - or2007
3 - PRODIGY

The reason I awarded AXIS the extra point was because I feel that he took the most holistic approach to integrating his chosen brand. I asked myself what each entry would look like if I took away the most distinctive visual cue; which would still exude its respective brand's personality? That would mean that the designer had really succeeded in infusing the brand's character into the car. I found that even if you removed the swoosh from the side, the "Shox" from the rear, or any of the other various (and often subtle) identifiers, you were still ultimately left with a car that captured the essence of Nike.

The other two entries were fantastic in their own respects--or2007's as the sleek, chic embodiment of the Lacoste lifestyle and PRODIGY's as an innovative urban transportation solution. Really wonderful work all around, and it was hard to choose a winner.

swizzle
09-24-2008, 01:16 PM
6 points Axis again another awesome job
2 points Domino
2 points or2007

MartinEDesign
09-24-2008, 07:25 PM
I say 4 to or2007, brilliant job with the lacoste car! Very nice render and cool design
Also giving a 4 to domino, for his brilliant idea, by taking the Caterpillar brand and making a car out of it, looking big, muscular and very frightening :D

2 is for Axis, because I don't like it as much as the others, for me it is a typical supercar, with the Nike logo on it.

NelsonDesign
09-25-2008, 12:19 AM
4pts- 0r2001
3pts- Domino
3pts- PRODIGY

sorry AXIS, I just think it's not my favorite

DoMiNo
09-25-2008, 12:27 AM
Okay, well, I guess it has become 10 points spread among 3 entries. For the sake of this contest only, that will be acceptable. If you would like to spread points among all four, you may also do that.

NelsonDesign
09-25-2008, 01:36 AM
hehe, whoops Dom, I haven't been here long so I just do what everyone else does, lol

LamboMan
09-26-2008, 11:50 AM
Domino - 4..............I love your 'Site Safety' concept coz thats one thing they don't have! Awesome job!!
or2007 - 3................I really like the way you have designed your car around lacoste's 'Future of Tennis' ads and the 75th anniversary campaign. The fluorescent green and blue are really appealing and futuristic.
PRODIGY -2............Yours is the most radical idea for a city car man! Love it!
AXIS - 1.....................Its a very beautiful design! I love the fighter jet/stingray theme!

mrfdesign
09-29-2008, 03:38 PM
Pretty bleak about the participation, and was too busy to actually participate myself :(
Anyways heres my votes:

AXIS - 4
Pretty much what i was going to do haha, except my car was going to be based off the Mercurial Vapor soccer boots. Nice radical design typical of Nike. One thing though, you should;ve made that Nike swoosh on the side a bright red or something.

OR2007 - 3
Awesome. Very fancy looking car, upmarket and smooth(not texture wise ;) ).

Domino - 2
Must ask, isn't Caterpillar already an automotive company? They make trucks and things thus they are an automotive company? or am i just being picky =D. Lol. Awesome truck man , the render is superb and the design pretty mean. Just not out of the box.

Prodigy - 1
Sorry bud for just 1 point, but i just didnt feel excited about your Cike. I think i just prefer the bigger more muscular cars xD .

DoMiNo
09-29-2008, 09:53 PM
Thank you to all who took the time to lend their feedback and vote in this contest. Your comments are a helpful way for designers to uncover the strengths and weaknesses of their entries and as such function as a terrific means of adapting/improving for the next contest.

This competition was very close (and for good reason)! Every entry was very thoughtfully-conceived and each managed quite successfully to capture the spirit of its respective brand. It's obviously not an easy thing to do, which may be one reason for the low participation, but everyone did an outstanding job.

Here are the final standings:

DoMiNo - 27
AXIS - 24
or2007 - 24
PRODIGY - 15

Thanks so much for the votes!! My hat's off to the other entrants, as I said above your designs were top-notch and despite the low number of entries it was a lot of fun.

I hope you're all ready for the next contest! In the interest of getting it underway, I will forgo the topic voting and will hopefully have a new contest up soon :) Thanks again!!!