PDA

View Full Version : "Emergency Redesign: Acura TL" Contest

DoMiNo
08-12-2008, 07:45 AM
Hey guys -

Once again, thanks for the votes in the Alfa Contest! Here are a few topics that came to mind, time to let your voice be heard. Vote on your favorite and we'll get the next contest moving!!

<link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CMatt%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsoht ml1%5C03%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" name="City"></o:smarttagtype><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" name="country-region"></o:smarttagtype><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" name="place"></o:smarttagtype><!--><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> SEAT Comes to <st1:place w:st="on">North America</st1:place> Contest ([I]brand-specific contest)<o:p></o:p>
In an attempt to boost sales while simultaneously injecting a bit of verve into its lineup, Volkswagen has finally decided to bow its quirky Spanish SEAT brand in <st1:place w:st="on">North America</st1:place>. VW will sell SEAT alongside its current range, marketing the brand as the sportier, more passionate alternative. Yet aside from bringing over an undetermined number of existing models (which include the <st1:country-region w:st="on">Leon</st1:country-region>, Ibiza, Altea, and <st1:city w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Toledo</st1:place></st1:city>, as well as their respective variants), Volkswagen has decided to engineer new models which will be specifically tailored to this new market. Your job is to design the perfect SEAT for <st1:place w:st="on">North America</st1:place>, one which will introduce the brand to unfamiliar consumers and assert its sporty identity in the face of established competitors. <o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
The “I Could’ve Done it Better” Contest: Acura TL Edition ([I]model-specific contest)<o:p></o:p>
Okay, okay, we get it. The new TL is…well, it’s not exactly a looker. Reactions to the new design have ranged from tepid, “it will grow on me” acceptance at best to gag reflex-inducing revulsion at worst. Where did Acura’s designers go wrong? Your job is to undo this deed; design the car that should have been the next TL, taking into account the direction in which Honda wants to take its premium brand (i.e. their aspirations of being a legitimate luxury competitor).<o:p></o:p>
The Ultimate <st1:city w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Le Mans</st1:place></st1:city> Car Contest (open contest)<o:p></o:p>
<st1:city w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Le Mans</st1:place></st1:city> racing--in contrast to very restricted series such as F1, IndyCar, and NASCAR—is a celebration of automotive diversity. Competing in several classes, teams field everything from lightly-modified street cars (GT2) to all-out track monsters (LMP1) and plenty in between. Your task here would be to design the ultimate <st1:city w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Le Mans</st1:place></st1:city> racer—be it an existing brand or one of your own—to compete in the famed 24 hour endurance race and vie for the series title. A perfect opportunity to design something extreme. <o:p></o:p>

As usual, once we have some sort of obvious consensus I'll close the poll and open the new contest :)

PRODIGY
08-12-2008, 04:48 PM
Either the Seat or Acura competition would suit me.

I like watching Le mans, but I can't imagine many varied designs if we pick this one. I mean, Le mans cars stick to the same sort of fomula so it'd be hard to think outside the box.

AXIS
08-12-2008, 07:38 PM
I'm all for the advancing Acura contest

taskbearer
08-12-2008, 11:12 PM
You must have read my mind on this one. I was already working on an Acura TL, so nautrally I voted for it. Seems like the most relevant of the three. Acura is suffering from some serious identity crisis, the Seat already has one, but the Le Mans does not seem much challenging as already pointed out by prodigy.

swizzle
08-13-2008, 12:37 AM
I'm hoping that if it is the Acura that is the basis for the competition that at least one person takes the wonderful looking out-going TL and does and update.

deadkenbeats
08-13-2008, 05:50 AM
Acura all the way baby!

PRODIGY
08-13-2008, 06:49 AM
It's gonna be a tough one to call DoMiNo.. The Seat and Acura ideas are almost neck and neck.

LamboMan
08-13-2008, 11:38 AM
The SEAT topic seems a bit vauge........its always better to have something more model specific.....so Acura it is!

DoMiNo
08-13-2008, 09:43 PM
Ahhhh 20 votes and it's a tie?!?

DoMiNo
08-13-2008, 10:14 PM
Well opinion was pretty evenly-divided between the TL and SEAT contests, so once it received a tie-breaking vote I just decided to go with the TL. Future contest winners may feel free to revisit the Seat topic if they'd like :)

http://img378.imageshack.us/img378/6528/acurabannercp5.jpg

Reception to the 2009 Acura TL (http://www.netcarshow.com/acura/2009-tl/1024x768/wallpaper_01.htm) has been decidedly unkind. At best, onlookers have decided it’s a design that will “take time to get used to.” At worst, it’s been derided as a bloated and poorly integrated design, with the brunt of critics’ wrath falling on Acura’s controversial “shield” grille (shared by the MDX and TSX). <o:p></o:p>
To save face, Acura has taken the bold step of commissioning a complete redesign of its brand new TL. The outgoing model (http://www.netcarshow.com/acura/2007-tl_type-s/1024x768/wallpaper_03.htm) has been a resounding hit for the brand, and management has concluded that in order to replicate its sales success a more widely-accepted design will be crucial. Moreover, as Acura casts its sights skyward to the lucrative but highly competitive luxury market, insiders agree that higher-performing, more differentiated, and overall more compelling automobiles are the key to the brand’s upward mobility. You have been selected to lead the design team for the new TL, which will spearhead the effort to take Acura to another level. It must have the luxury, the power, and the precision to tangle with heavyweights like BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Audi, Lexus, and Infiniti. But most importantly, it must ooze style; a more universally-pleasing (yet still distinct) design will be integral to the model’s market acceptance. Acura has given unprecedented creative freedom to its designers and a blank check to its R&D team in an effort to guarantee the most stylish and capable Acura ever. <o:p></o:p>
This contest will close August 27.<o:p></o:p>
Good luck designers!!! <o:p></o:p>

PRODIGY
08-13-2008, 10:31 PM
Good call everyone!

*DoMiNo.. might be a good idea to change your sig now lol* ;)

DoMiNo
08-13-2008, 10:36 PM
*DoMiNo.. might be a good idea to change your sig now lol* ;)

Done :P

Looking forward to the entries!!

PRODIGY
08-13-2008, 10:38 PM
Done :P

Indeed you have, and may I propose your new sig for the award for 'best sig ever'?

Good stuff man!

Flyinmonkey
08-14-2008, 05:55 AM
AHHHHH MANNN. Im strapped down and ready to rumble. This should be fun.

BTW Domino i love the sig:rofl:

DoMiNo
08-14-2008, 07:15 AM
and may I propose your new sig for the award for 'best sig ever'?

Good stuff man!

BTW Domino i love the sig:rofl:

lol thanks guys :P

BryanRW
08-14-2008, 01:09 PM
Heres Mine..Just Gave It A Nose Job.

http://img395.imageshack.us/img395/7446/acuratlfaceliftnk7.th.jpg (http://img395.imageshack.us/my.php?image=acuratlfaceliftnk7.jpg)

PRODIGY
08-14-2008, 02:17 PM
While your 'design' is an improvement, chops are usually reserved for the photoshop section!

PRODIGY
08-14-2008, 02:25 PM
Here is mine!

I fluffed the perspective a bit, bonnet is a weird angle, and the rear wheel looks out of proportion, but hey I tried a different angle.

My design is influenced by that Acura NSX concept thingy (can't think of the name) and I belive this redefines Acuras style. I'm pleased with this (apart from forementioned perspective issues) and hope i'm in with a chance this time lol.

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb251/adythesaxoman/car%20drawings/3b6063f3.jpg

DoMiNo
08-14-2008, 04:35 PM
Heres Mine..Just Gave It A Nose Job.

http://img395.imageshack.us/img395/7446/acuratlfaceliftnk7.th.jpg (http://img395.imageshack.us/my.php?image=acuratlfaceliftnk7.jpg)

Sorry, Photoshops are not permitted in the design contests, so I won't be able to count this. Feel free to post a sketched/rendered design, though.

PRODIGY - I liked the ASC concept from which it's obvious you drew inspiration, so there's a lot I like about this design. The proportions are an immense improvement; it has a much more obvious RWD look to it now, which makes it look more like a legit 3er competitor than the Maxima competitor that the 2009 TL appears to be. The greenhouse looks a tad small for a car of this size. I think my least favorite aspect of the design is the headlight; they're weird but a little bland at the same time. I think if you'd gone with a more conventionally-shaped light and mounted them atop the fender instead of down so low in the bumper, it would really balance out the front. Still, a clear improvement :)

Kramer
08-15-2008, 12:23 AM
Haha DoM, I love your sig. And my entry is going to be late since i'm in Boston on vacation until the 25th, i'll try doodling on hotel sketchpad (if I can find a pencil). Cheers and good luck to all.

NelsonDesign
08-15-2008, 01:03 AM
Here's mine, trying to be a little out there.

By the way, I haven't asked anyone yet, do you guys think I am good for 14?

PRODIGY
08-15-2008, 01:28 AM
Your best yet Nelson! Love the shape, your perspective is much better and you haven't given it a massive wheelbase like you usually do. Well done!

One crit would be the grille. Though an improvement over the Acura shield grille, this grille looks a little too much like a Lancia grille.

You are very good for 14. When I was 14, my doodles were comically bad. I'll have to dig some out and scan 'em in for you!

NelsonDesign
08-15-2008, 03:21 AM
Thanks PRODIGY, those words mean a lot to me! By the way, I am going to critique everyone's entry in the Voting section.

AXIS
08-15-2008, 08:07 AM
2010 Acura TLX
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y141/hellospaceboy/TLX.jpg

Aug. 15, 2008 PEBBLE BEACH , Calif. – The all new 2010 Acura TLX luxury sedan made its world debut today at the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance. Expanding on the "keen-edge dynamic" design language, the TLX features bold, sleek exterior styling, advanced technologies and a powerful new engine. The TLX pushes the limits of performance, style, and luxury.

The TLX is positioned between the TL and RL and as Acura moves towards competing on a global scale, The TLX will serve as the flagship model in our overseas markets. The TLX furthers cutting edge technology with high-tech items including AcuraLink® weather, AcuraLink® Traffic Rerouting™, XM® Note, Active Sound Control, and Bluetooth® Audio.

The TLX is equipped with the latest version of Acura's torque vectoring Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™ system. Performance improves with the TLX thanks to a new, 6 cylinder DOHC i-DTEC turbocharged diesel enginge. The TLX will not be available to the North American market until model year 2012 where it will serve as the replacement to the much reviled 2009 TL. It will be available next spring along with the TSX, MDX and RDX at Acura dealerships overseas.

swizzle
08-15-2008, 02:37 PM
A TLX nose would have upgraded the great look of the current car and would have made Acura even more sporting looking.

mrfdesign
08-15-2008, 03:04 PM
Prodigy - Interesting take on the TL, the front reminds me slightly of the Honda Element in some way (maybe its just me) . Dunno if i like it though, i think it'l grow on me. Nice improvement with your drawing technique!

NelsonDesign - Getting better each time. I must say it doesnt shout Acura to me much and it seems a tad large. Again, you should try adding more detail to your sketches to really pronounce the features and lines.

AXIS - Not really liking it much, its got a very awkward stance and its proportions are odd. Render quality is great as usual but design wise definately not your best. I like the cabin design though

I dont know if im going to enter this one as i feel it's quite weird redesigning something that already exist and personally think it looks fine.

swizzle
08-16-2008, 06:06 AM
Axis' nose has sent me into a LOVE for Acura that is just unnatural.

swizzle
08-16-2008, 03:13 PM
Some additional comments on Axis' TLX

First and foremost, it is instantly recognizable as an Acura.

Secondly, it is a brilliant continuation of the sharp-edged out-going TL without looking anything like it.

Thirdly, this is probably along the lines of what Acura was trying to achieve when it blundered through the bad remakes of the TSX and the TL.

I even like the name TLX. Maybe Acura will put the RL to death and use TLX.

Axis' design is not production proportions, but just imagine the headlights and grille larger and the bumper smaller and shazaam you have a great production look. The greenhouse would need to be larger of course, but the kick up on the door is sheer genius. This design reminds me of the best of Ital Design / Giugiaro (spelling dubious). The one area that I can't see is the trunk and assuming that the trunk continued the flying wedge look rather than the falling off droopy butt so in vogue among car makers, it would be truly stunning.

I am no fan of bulbous, big-butt, gaping-hole blobular messes that pass for brilliant styling in the real world because they because they remind me of one-ton Wandas laying on broken down recliners watching soap operas all afternoon. The Pininfarina Hyperion is a perfect example minus the gaping hole.

Axis' design is 100% masculine energy ready to strike. It has the same laser-beam attractiveness of the Lamborghini Gallardo in my opinion.

AXIS
08-16-2008, 05:26 PM
wow! thanks swizzle

BryanRW
08-16-2008, 10:07 PM
Heres My New Entry.
http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/3091/acuratljv5.th.jpgAcura TL.
(http://img292.imageshack.us/my.php?image=acuratljv5.jpg)

swizzle
08-17-2008, 04:47 AM
The look is believable if a bit Hyundai Sonata...that drew its razor sharp lines from Acura.

BryanRW
08-17-2008, 01:20 PM
The look is believable if a bit Hyundai Sonata...that drew its razor sharp lines from Acura.

was that comment for my design..If so could someone explain it im confused about the last part:confused:

swizzle
08-17-2008, 03:13 PM
was that comment for my design..If so could someone explain it im confused about the last part:confused:

The current generation of the Hyundai Sonata had an Acura sharpness to the grille and face that while not a slavish copy it was nevertheless inspired by Acura. The Sonata is a very pleasant design though not as racy as the out-going TL. Your entry is immediately identifiable as an Acura in the nose because it is an update of the current one rather than a reinvention and the rest of the car has a vague Sonata look that is quite pleasant to the eyes.

NelsonDesign
08-18-2008, 04:27 AM
I am no fan of bulbous, big-butt, gaping-hole blobular messes that pass for brilliant styling in the real world because they because they remind me of one-ton Wandas laying on broken down recliners watching soap operas all afternoon. The Pininfarina Hyperion is a perfect example minus the gaping hole.

Was this aimed at my design?

swizzle
08-18-2008, 01:10 PM
Umm NO.

It was a general statement about the current styling trend in general in the industry to create vehicles that look like one-ton Wandas. I don't like blunder busses. Others find them irresistible.

I was obviously making a point about the TLX by contrasting its opposite.

In this section, if I have something critical to say about a design, I say nothing.

LamboMan
08-18-2008, 05:15 PM
Hey Nelson Design! You have really bettered your skills and this design is your best ever! I live that rear end and the headlights too. And the shoulder line complements the design really well. Good Job! :thumbsup:

NelsonDesign
08-18-2008, 05:31 PM
Thanks Lamboman, that means a lot to me. Just so you know, I will comment on your design (When you upload it) during voting.

Thanks again!

mrfdesign
08-20-2008, 12:27 PM
Audi_R8 - Musch better in terms of proportion compared to your 169 entry. I must say the design itself is not very exciting, i think the '09 TL is actually quite a cool car hence my decision not to take part in this contest. Back to your entry, Nice coloring but try make it bolder, at the moment the color is quite light. Dont be afraid to go bold with anything from design to coloring.

Flyinmonkey
08-22-2008, 06:34 AM
I don't think im going to make this contest, even though im dying to participate. Im driving to SoCal from NJ starting Saturday. Its gonna take a while:cool:

ElementW
08-22-2008, 10:38 PM
Here's my TL. I was inspired to use water colors on the sketch. It was the 2nd time I tried water colors on my designs so it's not that great.

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u257/peugeot_2007/scan0001-1.jpg

Oh, and it uses a keyless entry system that senses the key in your pocket but doesn't open the door until you lightly knock on it twice, which will pop the door open. [ Darn! How could I forget those door handles!:shy: ]

swizzle
08-23-2008, 12:52 AM
The side is a little bit too Jaguar to be an Acura, but that isn't all bad. I think it's interesting how you made the ugly new grille actually look appealing. The face that you have created on this car is a definite keeper. This will be one of my vote getters.

LamboMan
08-23-2008, 10:08 AM
Wow! Thats dam good man! The water color makes the sketch look really good.:thumbsup: You have got the TL right. I love the detailing on the grille and those smoothly integrated lights. Great effort. Hmm....by any chance did you take inspiration for your picture's composition from Husseindesign's Photoshop tutorial on DeviantArt ? <http://husseindesign.deviantart.com/art/Painting-a-Car-Digitally-III-I-35243447> Coz it looks great!

mrfdesign
08-24-2008, 05:02 AM
Hey guys . lol i know i said i wasnt taking part BUT i guess i changed my mind haha. Anyways heres my entry. Its a front view (as i guess that the worst view on the new TL), I've gone with a really radical look that is completely different to the new TL. Features include ''floating'' wing mirrors (this illusion is caused by the wing mirrors being supported by a strong see through plastic), full front and rear LED lights and daylights to give extreme road presence, superbike inspired intakes under the front lights, complex surfacing to give intense reflective beauty. Here it is:
http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/889/acuratlcontestentrynp3.jpg

LamboMan
08-24-2008, 04:07 PM
And we have a winner.....;)
Wow mrfdesign....man does that look out of this world or what!! I love your innovative concepts of the floating mirrors and that sexy bike derived styling! Certainly one of your most thought over designs. :thumbsup: Would love to see a 3/4 front view of it!

LamboMan
08-24-2008, 04:22 PM
Man im feelin so bad right now........i dont have even the smallest amount of time on my hands for this contest......guess i'll not be takin part then.:(

DoMiNo
08-24-2008, 04:41 PM
Cool design supported by a great explanation. Nice job, mrf. I love it, actually. It's the sharpness of Acura taken to a whole new level, and it works so well. The only thing I would personally change are the anonymous round fog lamps (are they fog lamps?); I think maybe something sharper and wedge-shaped would have been a better complement to the rest of the design. That little nitpick aside: awesome.

swizzle
08-24-2008, 09:39 PM
mrfdesign's design is indeed captivating, but like Axis' it would depend entirely on how it could be translated to production. This is a great concept look.

PRODIGY
08-25-2008, 11:45 AM
Some excellent entries so far guys.

mrfdesign: WOW!

Audi_R8: Bit too similar to the Chrysler Sebring. Looks like you copied and pasted a new front to the Sebrings sides.

ElementW: Very sleek and smooth, but IMO Acura's should be sharp and edgy!

Where's the rest of the entries? Come on everyone, let's keep the momentum up!

BryanRW
08-25-2008, 02:59 PM
how does it look like a sebring?

Its based on this image

http://jalopnik.com/photogallery/2009AcuraTLPress/1003126152?viewSize=thumb1280x1280

PRODIGY
08-25-2008, 03:37 PM
how does it look like a sebring?

Heres My New Entry.
http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/3091/acuratljv5.th.jpgAcura TL.
(http://img292.imageshack.us/my.php?image=acuratljv5.jpg)

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m183/Chosen1rolly/07_Chrysler_Sebring_12.jpg

That's how! Lol.

mrfdesign
08-25-2008, 03:51 PM
[QUOTE=Audi_R8;342736]how does it look like a sebring?

I agree with Prodigy on this one. If you look here at your design side by side with a Sebring you'll notice some similarities. Which is no bad thing as im sure you had no intentions of it looking similar. Remember my Porsche SUV had Merc R-class like headlights - that was unintentional too. Happens quite often.

http://img383.imageshack.us/img383/6517/2008chryslersebringcb7.jpg
Im using Doms trace as your one wont come up on my pc for some reason
http://img125.imageshack.us/img125/7048/audir8tllinesws1ss5.jpg

By the way yours looks better than the Sebring. And if yu look its basically only the rear and the window line and glasshouse that are similar.

Kramer
08-27-2008, 03:17 AM
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k239/Lemment/DSC00567.jpg

My entry. I decided to keep it in pencil this time as opposed to my Alfa entry.

nedesign
08-27-2008, 05:22 AM
Here's my entrie of the redesigned Acura TL

http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/3254/1020348xp6.th.jpg (http://img515.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1020348xp6.jpg)

taskbearer
08-27-2008, 08:57 AM
this thing consumed too much of my time. I spent more time experimenting with design elements than actually staying on task. In the end I just chose to do a 1hr render of one them. and here it is.

The release of the new generation Acura TL is marked with a radical styling departure coupled with a similar engineering route. The styling inspired by sport bikes is meant to evoke aggression and dynamics. The positioning of the twin radiators at each side allow for a really low nose section. The greenhouse mimics a riders helmet visor. adding to the dynamic language.

In the engineering department, the car launches Acura's all new RWD platform. Taking Acura to the class needed to be all along. Power is provided by a reworked 3.5L V6 reduced to 3.2L by thickening the cylinder walls to withstand increased stress. A supercharger and a turbo is packaged in between the cylinder banks allowing for very compact engine dimensions. The supercharger works during low revs and the turbo takes over for high revs. Total output is at 320hp for the sport model and 400hp for the RS model. All that power is coordinated by a six speed tansaxle dual clutch gearbox optimizing weight distribution and handling. The new TL marks a new dawn for Acura, one of pioneering excellence.

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p83/taskbearer/acuratl.jpg

swizzle
08-27-2008, 01:23 PM
Is it a hatchback? Nose is quite interesting.

taskbearer
08-27-2008, 04:20 PM
I was going for more of a notch back ala renault megane. Will post a back end later.

http://www.megangolf.com/uploaded_images/renault-megane.JPG

mrfdesign
08-27-2008, 04:42 PM
Kramer - Not bad, just a bit dated looking, something more futuristic would've gone down much better.

Nedesign - Neat drawing, has a cartoony feel to it like those drawings that have those massive wheels and small bodies think they called crazy cars or something. Nice grille much better than the new TL's

Taskbearer - Hmmm the sport bike influence is familiar (cough). Interesting color choice, I think your concept is a bit of a far cry for a TL. Its not very Acura either. Interesting ''helmet'' glasshouse though

PRODIGY
08-27-2008, 06:12 PM
Taskbearer:

Brilliant render, very artistic and interesting design.

However, I see Citroen, not Acura in the design. It's kind of how I imagine a C6 coupe could look like.

The front end also reminds me of this old Citroen....

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l180/vespamodelli/banana%20citroen%20AMI%208%201970/bananafirenze.jpg

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p83/taskbearer/acuratl.jpg

Also reminds me of Darth vader lol

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z159/ryasaur/layout/darth_vader_game.jpg

LamboMan
08-28-2008, 01:03 PM
When is this contest getting over? And where is Domino's entry???

swizzle
08-28-2008, 01:24 PM
I was going for more of a notch back ala renault megane. Will post a back end later.

http://www.megangolf.com/uploaded_images/renault-megane.JPG

Yikes. I think that would be an even tougher sell than the current new TL.

DoMiNo
08-28-2008, 03:14 PM
When is this contest getting over? And where is Domino's entry???

;) I decided to sit this one out.

I was kinda hoping for more participation, but the entries are terrific so far. I'll close this today.

DoMiNo
08-28-2008, 08:26 PM
***CONTEST CLOSED***

Thanks to everyone who participated!! The entries look great--I think I speak for a lot of people when I say that each and every one is an improvement over the real TL ;)

Voting will be up shortly, but ELEMENTW, your image link is not working, so PLEASE re-host it ASAP so that I can get the voting up.

DoMiNo
08-29-2008, 04:42 AM
Thanks to everyone who entered the Acura TL contest!! The number of entries may have dropped, but the quality of the entries remains extremely high, and my hat's off to those who tackled the challenge. The diverse points of view we've come to expect in these contests is evident here, but one thing that's consistent (IMO) is that each of these entries constitutes an improvement over the actual model :lol: So you've all succeeded in that regard!

Without further ado, let's get to voting! Same rules as always (http://www.carspyshots.net/showthread.php?t=2363): ten points spread among four entries. Incorrect votes will be disqualified. You're encouraged to leave commentary, as well, but all votes are welcome.

Here are the entries in the order received:

PRODIGY (http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/2254/prodigynm8.jpg)
http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/2254/prodigynm8.th.jpg (http://img204.imageshack.us/my.php?image=prodigynm8.jpg)

NelsonDesign (http://img83.imageshack.us/img83/8460/nelsondesignem2.jpg)
http://img83.imageshack.us/img83/8460/nelsondesignem2.th.jpg (http://img83.imageshack.us/my.php?image=nelsondesignem2.jpg)

AXIS (http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/8303/axisuo1.jpg)
http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/8303/axisuo1.th.jpg (http://img301.imageshack.us/my.php?image=axisuo1.jpg)

Audi_R8 (http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/6086/audir8fw7.jpg)
http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/6086/audir8fw7.th.jpg (http://img300.imageshack.us/my.php?image=audir8fw7.jpg)

ElementW (http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/8245/elementwfr3.jpg)
http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/8245/elementwfr3.th.jpg (http://img525.imageshack.us/my.php?image=elementwfr3.jpg)

mrfdesign (http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/2195/mrfdesigngq1.jpg)
http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/2195/mrfdesigngq1.th.jpg (http://img329.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mrfdesigngq1.jpg)

Kramer (http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/9351/kramervf1.jpg)
http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/9351/kramervf1.th.jpg (http://img527.imageshack.us/my.php?image=kramervf1.jpg)

nedesign (http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/1710/nedesignxk2.jpg)
http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/1710/nedesignxk2.th.jpg (http://img527.imageshack.us/my.php?image=nedesignxk2.jpg)

taskbearer (http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/3153/taskbearergo6.jpg)
http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/3153/taskbearergo6.th.jpg (http://img257.imageshack.us/my.php?image=taskbearergo6.jpg)

Let me know of any missing/broken links, or if I neglected to include any entries. And good luck, all!!

Kramer
08-29-2008, 05:52 AM
mrfdesign - 4
Audi_R8 - 2
taskbearer - 2
ElementW - 2

And mrfdesign, you took a picture of your render with a phone? That's some great quality, I would have said that it was a totally rendered Photoshop file if I didn't see the metadata on the picture file. Great drawing btw, even though I would have liked to see more of the car (sides, back, etc.)

swizzle
08-29-2008, 01:41 PM
Axis 7 points / by far the one that is most production believable while advancing the marque
ElementW / 1 point / a good possible face for Acura
Mfrdesign / 1 point / a good concept look...how would it translate to production?
Taskbearer / 1 point / ditto

PRODIGY
08-29-2008, 02:45 PM
4 = mrfdesign - Real menacing front end that keeps the sharp & manga anime look that I think Acura were trying to achieve, but done 1000x better. Neat little inovative touches like the l.e.d's and 'floating' wingmirrors, which would help Acura achieve sales from people who like the latest must have gadgets. The Grille is cool, because it isn't that diferent from the horrid 'smiley' grille on the current (new) TL, but it looks better angled like you've drawn it. Top effort!

3 = NelsonDesign - A vast improvement. Those long wheelbases that you love to draw are getting smaller lol! The design is smart and classy. I like the way the bonnet/hood meets the swage line. Another top effort!

2 = AXIS - Great looking face, but I think the sides are a little fussy, maybe it's the kink in the window that gives me that impression. I think with smoother sides, and without that window kink, this would almost be perfect!

1 = taskbearer - I know I commented about your design looking very Citroen, but this does have that japanese anime/manga look about it. If this were to come out exactly as you've drawn it then it would really put japanese design back in the game. However, I really can't see this as a production reality. Wild concept car definately! Having said all that, I really do applaud your 'out of the box' thinking with all the designs i've seen of yours and I think your entry is the most artistic. It's just not the car Acura would do IMO.

The rest...

Audi_R8 - While it improves on the ugly TL, it turns the tables and makes the TL blandish. At least the ugly new TL has got us all talking, and divides opinion amongst us. this would just not stick on our minds as it has a forgetable look about it. Sorry for the crit. The drawing and technique is a lot better though!

ElementW - Nice classy design. Front end reminds me a bit of an old Opel concept (I think it was called Insignia?). It just hasn't got the x factor for me though, and like Audi_R8s it's in danger of toning down the TL too much.

Kramer - lots of interesting details. Like the way the middle bar of the grille slots underneath the headlights. The back lights are a bit too close to Aston Martin, but they work well with the design.

nedesign - An improvement over the current TL for sure, but it sticks with a lot of the current themes. I think Acura need to drastically alter the styling aswell as the shape. Your shape is a lot better, but I'd like to see a new grille at least (which IMO is the worst part of the current TL).

Well done everybody!

AXIS
08-29-2008, 08:52 PM
4.- taskbearer
This design is stylish, unapologetically Japanese and would break new ground for Acura.
IMO this would definitely generate interest in the brand and establish the brand as a key player in the luxury segment.

3.- mrfdesign
I absolutely love the menacing face and muscular stance of your design, however its just a pretty face.
I would have really liked to see how you would continue the design language throughout the rest of the vehicle.

2.- PRODIGY
I love how you have taken cues from the Advanced concepts. Your design is polarizing and would definitely
continue the love/hate debate that the current TL has ignited.

1.- Audi_R8
Its good to see you breaking away from the computer and doing some hand drawn designs,
However your design is rather safe and anonymous, and does nothing to advance the brand.
It looks alot like something Acura would have released in the late 90's.

NelsonDesign
08-30-2008, 01:33 AM
To PRODIGY- Thanks a lot for my first vote in these contests! I am honored to receive three from you. Thank you.

Okay, here goes the comments...

PRODIGY- A great looking car that is sure to please people after the current TL, In my mind, it doesn't look very close to Acura's design lingo, but In my opinion, that's a very good thing!

AXIS- You're getting the proportions right now! But the perspective needs some work in places. As for the design, I think it is an improvement as well, but some of the lines just don't flow with me.

Audi R8- This looks extremely realistic (besides the render) The design is very nice and I really think it is a vast improvement to the current TL. The sketching part of it needs work though. Try to make quick strokes with your shoulder, it will add emotion to the car.

ElementW- The design is very cool, except, I am not that fond of your grill. The watercolors definitely add emotion to it. Awesome Job!

Mrfdesign- Amazing looking! Nice render, design, EVERYTHING! But I think I speak for everyone in the fact that it would be much nicer if you showed like a 3/4 front.

Kramer- Yes, it is a little outdated, but I really think it looks nice. I like the fact that you took out the pen and drew it with pencil, but the grill reminds me a little of a Chevrolet.

Nedesign- actually probably one of my favorite designs, but you really gotta work on the wheels man!

Taskbearer- Yes, definitely the darth-vader car, but it makes it look very aggresive, yes, it doesn't look very close to the probable next-gen TL but that's what you gotta do, you gotta go wild, and that's what you did.

Okay- here's the results...

PRODIGY- 4 points
Mrfdesign- 3 points
Taskbearer- 2 points
Nedesign- 1 point

LamboMan
08-30-2008, 08:06 AM
mrfdesign - 5.................really your best work till now!
ElementW - 3
AXIS - 1
NelsonDesign - 1

Great job everyone!!

mrfdesign
08-30-2008, 12:50 PM
Okay guys heres my votes!
Prodigy - 4
NelsonDesign - 3
ElementW - 2
AXIS - 1

and just a big thanks to everyone who've voted for me :)

NelsonDesign
08-30-2008, 11:03 PM
Geez thanks Mrf and Lambo, I didn't think I would receive that many votes already! Thank you

swizzle
08-31-2008, 02:59 AM
To me it makes no difference who wins despite my opinions. The talent represented here is quite amazing. When you factor in the YOUNG age of some of the contributors, the entrants are that much more amazing.

NelsonDesign
08-31-2008, 03:36 AM
You're right Swizzle, And I don't care who wins either, I just appreciate it when people like my design so much that they give me points. I'm just happy I guess.

swizzle
08-31-2008, 03:58 AM
The most important thing in life is to risk. Some think it is to win. It's not. If a man is confident enough to risk, he is smart enough to learn. Those smart enough to learn, will prosper. I don't "like" all of the proposals, but I see and validate the earnestness with which all the entrants are put forth. We have some smart folks here.

rodgerdodger
09-01-2008, 08:12 AM
Interesting contest! Lots of talent here! But Acura would definitely need to work quickly to replace the hideous TL, and much of the dramatic changes I see here couldn't be implemented for another 4-5 years! With that in mind, my votes are:

4 - MRFDesign - you addressed the TL's biggest shortcoming.. the grille and headlight treatment.. and made it much more attractive while still immediately recognizable as an Acura. Would have loved to see what you would do to the rest of the car!

3 - ElementW - a clearly more elegant sedan than the new TL, almost reminds me of the Vigor and earlier TLs. Nice rendering too!

2 - TaskBearer - sick rendering and a super futuristic design! I particularly like the grille (or lack thereof!). But the overall shape and contouring look more concept Buick than Acura to me.

1 - Prodigy - A super nice drawing, with the TL being reworked into a RWD 4-door coupe (or possibly coupe/convertible!). A nice direction for future Acuras, though the greenhouse and detailing remind me more of Jaguar.

Audi A8: I have no problem with the previous TL grille grafted on to your restyling, nor do I dislike the new E-class taillights.. but where I draw the line is the Chrysler Sebring greenhouse! That was a deal breaker for me! ;) But a nice drawing nonetheless!

nedesign: You by far have the cleanest, most production-ready design.. I particularly like how you cleaned up the ridiculous side sculpting and smoothed the front fascia.. it's almost Cadillac CTS-like now! But the deal breaker? THAT grille is still there!! :)

Good job everyone!

ElementW
09-01-2008, 10:11 PM
Prodigy-4
Axis-2
NelsonDesign-2
Audi A8-2

Excellent attempts to all!

DoMiNo
09-02-2008, 05:47 PM
4 - mrfdesign - So many things come to mind when staring head-on at this car. It is equal parts jet fighter, shark, missile, and racecar. Not only does this face get rid of the shield grille, it estabishes a style for Acura that is progressive, menacing, and infinitely adaptable (I can see the entire lineup with similar cues). I do wish you'd included a view of the entire car, but judging by the face alone this is the one I'd most like to see on the streets.
3 - AXIS - You provide another wonderful (and seemingly obvious...wake up, Acura!) fix to Acura's shield grille, with just enough of a sharp-edged look to remain easily identifiable as an Acura. This car looks very feasible as a production model, though I would personally tone down the stepped creases and DLO as I think without them the car would seem sleeker and more dynamic.
2 - taskbearer - Props to you for taking the biggest risks, here! For the most part, I think it paid off; a car like this would establish the Acura brand as one of the most forward-thinking in the industry. It is sleek and elegant--someone mentioned that it looks almost French--and the sheer simplicity of the design is perhaps what makes it so stunning. I love that you focused on shapes instead of details. There are some practicality and visibility issues, however, and it's unlikely a design this bold would be as feasible as the above two. Really beautiful, though.
1 - PRODIGY - As I mentioned in the contest thread, I love the way you've integrated cues from the ASC and I obviously appreciate that you've eliminated the odd grille. What I find most appealing about this design are the proportions and the fact that it could so easily be translated into a CL coupe, which would be a spectacular addition to the model range.

nelsondesign - I must commend you for setting out to establish a completely new look for Acura; the swoopy character line along the side is dramatic but I wish it dipped toward the rear wheel instead of the front, as this would de-emphasize the FWD proportions. It's a very sleek looking car, though (and I realize that I have criticized you for this before) there's not much to distinguish it as an Acura; to some, that may be a good thing ;) It's a nice design, all the same; perhaps you could adapt it to one of your own companies' lineups? You're continuing to improve.

Audi_R8 - obviously, having rendered this in PS, I had some time to contemplate the design. Before you posted the picture off which you based this drawing, i thought you had used the outgoing model as your foundation; the proportions and the styling details are so similar to the current model that this would constitute a very subtle evolution. Of course, I love the current model, so that would be fine by me (especially in light of the actual TL replacement) but I nevertheless wish you'd taken a little riskier route. I will also echo others in seeing Sebring in the rear.

ElementW - this was a close contender for votes, as all-around I really like your design. It is pleasant and well-proportioned (perhaps a bit saggy in the rear) but--like Audi_R8's, in a way--it simply doesn't stand out as particularly bold or innovative. It's a great looking car, though, so it was tough not being able to give this points.

Kramer - fantastic, Aston Martin-like rear end, which would look very aggressive on the road. That said, the sides seem a little plain and the front reminds me somewhat of the previous-generation Toyota Camry. Some neat elements but again, not bold enough.

nedesign - Your design is very well-drawn, even if it has a caricature look to it. It bears a very close resemblance to the 2009 TL (right down to the grille ;)), though you've managed to tone it down by removing some of the unnecessary curves, and I like the tall sides/gunslit windows look. Overall a neat looking car, if uncomfortably close to the actual '09, and the slightly cartoonish proportions.

PRODIGY
09-02-2008, 10:05 PM
I'd just like to thank everybody who has voted for me and commented about my design.

Cheers guys!

DoMiNo
09-03-2008, 04:04 PM
As always, thanks to everyone who voted and provided their feedback on these designs. There were so many terrific ideas in this contest that voting for the best was a daunting task. Terrific work, participants.

Here are the final standings:

mrfdesign - 28
PRODIGY - 16
AXIS - 16
taskbearer - 14
ElementW - 11
NelsonDesign - 9
Audi_R8 - 5
nedesign - 1
Kramer - 0

Congratulations to mrfdesign for the winning entry!! Given the competition, winning was no small task, and mrf's design struck just the right chord. Think of a contest topic (or topics) and get back to me when you can, and we will have another contest up and running shortly!

Again, great work everyone. Don't be discouraged if you didn't get as many votes as you'd hoped; there's always next time.

swizzle
09-04-2008, 12:56 AM
Congrats mrfdesign. Well deserved. I'd like to see the nose translated into a production-ready look as opposed to concept look. I think it was the kind of thing Acura was shooting for--a striking nose--and what they got was a nose that looked like it was stricken with something.

NelsonDesign
09-04-2008, 01:48 AM
Congrats Mrf!

LamboMan
09-04-2008, 07:22 PM
Whoo hoo!! Congrats mrf! A highly deserved win. :thumbsup: