PDA

View Full Version : Jaguar XJ Redesign Contest

DoMiNo
04-28-2008, 06:29 AM
Hey guys, we've done several "open" contests in a row, so for a change of pace I wanted to suggest a model-specific "redesign" contest. Here are the topics I've been pondering:

Ferrari Mondial Redesign - A modern incarnation of the four-seat, mid-engined Ferrari tourer (as featured in one of my favorites, "Scent of a Woman" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03F_VESjkMM) :D)

Jaguar XJ - Bring the Jaguar flagship out of the XF's shadow.

Ford Falcon - design the next all-new generation (post-FG) of Ford's iconic RWD Falcon. Will it be an evolution or a revolution?

Vote for your favorite and we'll have this up and running! :)

PRODIGY
04-28-2008, 08:32 PM
I've voted for the Jag, but I would wouldn't I lol.

One problem I can see with the Jag idea though, is that we already have a good idea how it will look like from Mr Callums official sketches and the C-XF concept.

Can we imagine that those 2 cars never happened if the Jag wins?

Ascariss
04-28-2008, 09:02 PM
XJ for sure, I might even participate.

Jordmaniac_2.0
04-28-2008, 10:15 PM
I voted for the Mondial. Let's face it, Ferrari needs more than the 430, the 599, and the Scagletti. I think it'd be more interesting too.

VexedandGlorious
04-28-2008, 11:19 PM
i voted for the ferrari just because of this http://www.time.com/time/specials/2007/article/0,28804,1658545_1658533_1658043,00.html

i would'nt mind the XJ though

DoMiNo
04-28-2008, 11:42 PM
Jag it is. Contest will be up shortly. :)

DoMiNo
04-29-2008, 12:47 AM
http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/6317/jagcontestvn8.jpg

Often forgotten—even derided—for a style that many consider too conservative an evolution from previous generations, the Jaguar XJ has fallen from its place as the company’s proud flagship into near obscurity. While its rivals look forward to the future, the XJ clings to its past, with restrained bodywork and a distinctly Old World flair that no longer seems to resonate with luxury buyers. At its best, the XJ was a seductive alternative to the German and Japanese luxo-barges. At its worst, it epitomized everything that was wrong with Jaguar.
<o:p> </o:p>
Despite its past troubles, sexy new products (XK, XF) and the transfer of the company to an eager new owner spell good things for Jaguar. The company is poised to turn its aging XJ into a class-leading sport sedan, in keeping with the sporty and “Gorgeous” precedent set by its stablemates. Your task is to pen the sheetmetal for this new, world-beating generation of the Jaguar XJ. If possible, take some time to comment on your rationale: why did you make the decisions that you did? Which cars do you see as its main competition and what will set it apart from them?
<o:p> </o:p>
This contest will close Monday, May 19.

Good luck designers!!!

PRODIGY
04-29-2008, 05:38 PM
I've completed my entry! and I really like it. It's a different style drawing to my usual stuff.

I haven't rendered it as I don't want to risk messing it up.

I'll upload the pic as soon as I have access to a scanner, but I thought i'd just share a little info about the car first...

The back end is almost coupe like, and it's the rear 3/4 that i'm using as the main pic. The back end detailing is much more revolutionary than the XF and the C-XF and will divide opinion between Jaguar purists and average joe's. The front is an evolution of the C-XF but more production feasable. I felt like Jaguar have found their Sedan face now so that's why it's the back end that I did the most work on.

Sorry to tell you all this without a pic to show! It will be up very soon!!

CosworthKid
04-29-2008, 06:05 PM
The front is an evolution of the C-XF but more production feasable. I felt like Jaguar have found their Sedan face now ..

Just remember Callum stated that the quad light arrangement which premiered with the XF will be used on all future Jag models.

Can't wait to see your design, sounds awesome!

DoMiNo
04-29-2008, 06:13 PM
Just remember Callum stated that the quad light arrangement which premiered with the XF will be used on all future Jag models.

Yeah but for the sake of imagination and diversity let's not feel like we are beholden to that. This is a design contest, for fun :P

PRODIGY
04-29-2008, 09:58 PM
Jaguar XJ - Gorgeous luxury
May I present to you the new Jaguar XJ. Evolving the new Jaguar look from the XK, XF and the C-XF concept, this new Jaguar sits proudly at the top of the Jaguar range.

It's rivals are few. You'll buy an XJ because you want to. You'll forget about other cars in the same price range, as they have no soul. The XJ will complement your luxury pad, your holiday villa and your beautifull trophy wife.

I went for the look I did, because the XF has proved that Jaguar needs to move forward design wise, and not back. Like the XF was how the MKII would have looked if Jaguar had progressed design wise instead of looking back to the past, this new XJ is how the XJ should now look in 2008 instead of looking like an updated 1960s original XJ like the current one does!

Without further a-do, here it is....

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb251/adythesaxoman/car%20drawings/eaa7e5d2.jpg
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb251/adythesaxoman/car%20drawings/81ce6e8a.jpg

Citroeniste
04-29-2008, 10:18 PM
Outstanding Prodigy! I really like it, and I think this might be your best work to date!

PRODIGY
04-29-2008, 10:22 PM
Outstanding Prodigy! I really like it, and I think this might be your best work to date!

Cheers!! :beer:

Yeah i'm really proud of this one. Something just clicked and I had an artistic 15 minutes! That's all the rear 3/4 took. I really wanted to render it but I was so scared I'd wreck it.

Are you entering this one Citroeniste?

Citroeniste
04-30-2008, 03:07 AM
Oh yeah, but I just don't have any time this week to work on a design. I have a few ideas, but nothing fully flushed out yet. I think this contest will produce a lot of interesting results!
Here's to a great contest!:beer:

NelsonDesign
04-30-2008, 03:32 AM
I present to you the all new Jaguar XJ. With a new owner, this manufacturer needs new style and that's what the XJ is doing. I have designed the new XJ to still stick with current design features but also add some that I think are needed. The 5 passengers sit behind a massive V8. Please, comment on the design and what I can do better.

BryanRW
04-30-2008, 08:38 PM
Here is my entry..I used the blueprint of a Jaguar XF stretched the wheelbase and gave it a new rear and i modified the headlights so they look a bit more aggresive...i have got hundreds of these re-designs based on other cars e.g. A citroen coupe based on a bmw 3 series coupe...if you would like to see them please contact me!:cool:
im only 17...but i want to be a car designer..what do you think? Do I have the skills?

NelsonDesign
04-30-2008, 11:37 PM
I am no expert audi R8 but I think anyone can become a car designer no matter how much skill they have, you just have to keep practicing and practicing. Maybe try doing some cars on paper too instead of the computer.

BryanRW
05-02-2008, 06:48 PM
i do drawings on paper but my scanner is currently broken so wasnt able 2 upload the XJ drawing so i decided to do one on the computer instead:fear:

BryanRW
05-04-2008, 01:38 PM
Will My design be entered in to the competition?:confused:

mrfdesign
05-04-2008, 10:48 PM
Welcome to CSS R8, i drove an audi R8 last week :) . . . Anyway, i think ur entry should be fine. Its just that it looks like an elongated XF. I would have to disagree with nelsondesign with regard to anyone being able to design cars. Not everyone has a passion for creating cars or even the skills of putting their ideas to paper. Thats like saying anyone can be as good as christiano ronaldo at soccer if they practiced hard enough. Its natural talent. R8 i think if u want to be a car designer u need to move away from editing blueprints and do your own unique stuff. Try doing that and send us your efforts and We'll give you some decent advice. There are some excellent guys on here who will certainly assist you in anyway.

BryanRW
05-05-2008, 08:00 PM
Here is the design I did on paper...the proportions are a bit off...but i kinda of like it.
Hope you do.:)

VexedandGlorious
05-07-2008, 12:57 AM
Moving Forward Isn't A Rehash Of Whats Already A Jaguar
The brand new XJ, decieves many by having it's a own unique Styling. "This new car is inspired by the XF, but its not an XF" Callum states of the new design. The new XJ is sleek and sexy like jaguars use to be, with a low swooping roof and sharply angled DLO the XJ looks almost like a coupe. Suprisingly, the new XJ has more head room than the out going model. The head lamps use LED technology to give the vehicle an aggressive, futuristic look, while the grille evokes the powerful grille heritage of early Jaguar sedans. The side features sleek, elegant flowing surfaces, and a side chrome wing blade with the "JAGUAR" name engraved. Atop the long smooth hood is the return of the leaper. "The leaper is a sign of power, style and luxury. Its also very Jaguar, and thats what the XJ is, a Jaguar through and through." The new XJ is aimed towards the F01 BMW 7 series, M-B S-class, Audi A8, Maserati Quattroporte.
Power by: Super Charged V8 420 BHP
High Output Aluminum V12 500 plus BHP
Aluminum Body, Structure
Automatic Parking
Night Vision
Starting Price $75k
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y165/dgnr/kelliimg016.jpg
After many skecthes...2 am, i did this quick sketch, eh my wheels still suck but im working on it
sorry about the dying red marker
Crits and Comments please...thanks, enjoy

alternate illustrator work...
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y165/dgnr/Jaguar-XJ-black.jpg

ElementW
05-07-2008, 01:38 AM
Awesome VexedandGlorious! The wheels look fine but the whole car looks a bit SUVish. Mabey I'll enter.

Emil
05-07-2008, 08:23 AM
hmm interesting, im really busy with school stuff right now but i always find time to skecth maybe ill see what i can come up with and enter

mrfdesign
05-09-2008, 03:26 PM
http://img8.uploadhouse.com/fileuploads/1818/1818478-holder-e4a4c5d9a6b0d6fdf39064f6f958bc8f.jpg

Jaguar XJ entry

Superfresa
05-09-2008, 06:06 PM
Top entries so far fellas. Keep them coming!

I wont be in for this one but expect me to make a comeback for the next contest :)

knihc2008
05-12-2008, 08:31 AM
A quick entry. Been very busy these past few weeks, no time for designing anymore it seems. But this contest intrigued me and I drew an idea for it on the back of my Chinese homework. My friend saw it and liked it, and told me my drawings needed more explosions (we were bored). So I turned the drawing into a sort of James Bond action scene. Anyway, no time to finalize another entry or anything, so I guess I'll just submit my Jaguar XJ redesign, as it would look when it makes its debut in a future James Bond flick.

http://img371.imageshack.us/img371/5954/51194853er5.jpg

PRODIGY
05-12-2008, 08:50 AM
Excellent drawing and illustration! As for the design.. Love the shape, the headlights are also cool, but the grille - I criticised SVs XJs grille for being to big. This is the opposite lol, far too small for the big imposing range topping Jag!

knihc2008
05-12-2008, 09:10 AM
Excellent drawing and illustration! As for the design.. Love the shape, the headlights are also cool, but the grille - I criticised SVs XJs grille for being to big. This is the opposite lol, far too small for the big imposing range topping Jag!

Thanks for the criticism, Prodigy. The grille is meant to be longer, wider than tall like older XJ's, rather than simply being a large XF-style square grille. This in my opinion gives it more width rather than height, a more stately, planted down look in the front. It gives the front a look that is more refined and smarter than XF without being brash and bold. Plus it echoes the longer oval grille of the XK.

PRODIGY
05-12-2008, 09:19 AM
Thanks for the criticism, Prodigy. The grille is meant to be longer, wider than tall like older XJ's, rather than simply being a large XF-style square grille. This in my opinion gives it more width rather than height, a more stately, planted down look in the front. It gives the front a look that is more refined and smarter than XF without being brash and bold. Plus it echoes the longer oval grille of the XK.

I see where you're coming from with it now. Forgive my critique, it is an excellent design. I guess I just like my grilles like I like girls bottoms.... bigger lol!

Are these the XJ6s you meant?:-

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk170/acarrington_photos/Jag3.jpg
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h279/salston7/Jaguar%20XJ6%20VDP/PB_FrontDriver011024x768.jpg

This is the look I was going for...

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a123/jinxvrs/Jaguar/P4290022.jpg

knihc2008
05-12-2008, 10:10 AM
Yup those are the ones all the way up the current gen XJ. I felt it made the car look like an XJ without bein too retro. Also helped it not look like an XF.

DoMiNo
05-12-2008, 04:25 PM
Haha, cool scene, knihc :cool:

DoMiNo
05-13-2008, 05:45 AM
Okay, so I take back my criticisms about some of the designs looking too much like the XF, as I found that it was DAMN hard not to design a Jaguar that doesn't bear a strong visual resemblance :pissed: I deliberately tried to not look at a picture of the XF, but alas my memory won out and this was the result. Hopefully the differences come across in the proportions; I wanted something a tad more upright, stately, and elegant than the XF, yet still sleek and cutting edge. A car in which a politician or a movie star could feel equally at home.

Anyway, this is my take :) Sorry for the rough sketch; unfortunately I didn't have the time for a full render.

http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/6726/newxjiv8.jpg

BryanRW
05-13-2008, 10:37 AM
Wow DoMiNo ur design is fantastic!!!!!:woot2:

SV
05-14-2008, 02:55 AM
Sorry for the rough sketch

you should be. my god, that's like a frikkin doodle on the wall with crayons. a monkey could do better. no, scratch that, a drunk mentally deficient monkey using only his feet could have easily surpassed this...monument to messiness. goodness i can barely make out the design through all that chaos of pencil. or is that crayon?

;)

[i was kidding, of course. it's awesome and makes me feel as artistically gifted as my cat, as always]

DoMiNo
05-14-2008, 05:07 PM
or is that crayon?

D'oh! You found me out! :D

[i was kidding, of course. it's awesome and makes me feel as artistically gifted as my cat, as always]

Oh please, don't sell yourself short, mister :P

ElementW
05-15-2008, 03:31 AM
Anyway, this is my take :) Sorry for the rough sketch; unfortunately I didn't have the time for a full render.

ROUGH SKETCH! You call that a rough sketch?! That looks amazing! It doesn't resemble the XF all that much. Even though mine is not nearly as good, i'll finish it up probrably by tomorrow.

Mr. Burns
05-15-2008, 07:02 AM
Great entries so far everyone! Here's mine. Go easy on it, this is the first time in a long time I've shaded anything. It's all in pencil:

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg107/SNDesign_2007/Picture4-5.png

I still need a lot of practice with that.

The Phantom
05-15-2008, 08:29 AM
Gentlemen although I am an engineer by training and have next to no artistic ability I can still appreciate good design. The entries so far have been excellent, I particularly like those from DoMiNo and Mr. Burns (that rear end treatment is awesome). The actual Jaguar XJ will have to look seriously good to measure up to the designs I have seen here. Well done all.

The Stylist
05-15-2008, 09:31 AM
DoMiNo, that looks fantastic - I love the presence your sketch has!

Mr. Burns, your pencil work looks great, and your design takes a fresh approach to Jaguar's design language.

Anyway, here's my attempt:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y146/jdesign/JaguarXJ.jpg

Cheers,
Josh.

DoMiNo
05-15-2008, 03:53 PM
GASP! *faints*

Seriously though is there anything more to say? You gave it a look all its own without completely abandoning the precedent Callum set with the XF and XK. It's actually quite brilliant how you integrated those designs without managing to ape them (as some, myself included, couldn't manage). The greenhouse is a tad low and coupe-ish for a large sedan but that is pretty much my only complaint. Welcome to the contests (and what an entrance)!

driven by design
05-15-2008, 05:59 PM
Ho-lee-cow.

I was gonna enter this contest but now I'm not sure there's a point anymore! Stylist, that render is simply :eek::eek::eek:. I'm speechless.

I may still try to get something done and posted over the weekend though.

AXIS
05-15-2008, 10:15 PM
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y141/hellospaceboy/Xj.jpg

here goes my entry

Citroeniste
05-15-2008, 10:25 PM
:eek:WOW AXIS! That is amazing. Very dramatic and (I think) your best work to date - very radical, but very cool

The Stylist
05-15-2008, 11:32 PM
Cheers, thanks for the comments guy's - they're much appreciated. The render was based off a rough pencil sketch that I did around the time the C-XF concept was revealed, hence why the cabin looks a bit small (I could have put more effort in that area).

Regardless, I think everyone has submitted fantastic work for this competition, and the work submitted would seriously challenge some of the automotive designers submitting proposals for more dedicated design websites/forums.

Great work guy's!

driven by design
05-16-2008, 12:02 AM
Seconding what Citroeniste said, Axis. Totally rockin'. :shock2:

Definitely your best yet, and amazingly, a very worthy competitor to Stylist's incredible entry, which I was all but convinced would run away with the vote. Now I'm really conflicted.

ElementW
05-16-2008, 02:44 AM
WOW! Stylist's looks! WOW!!
Mine now looks like such a dud compared to all these... Oh, well, I'll submit mine anyways. Sorry for some left out details, my cheap scanner stopped working so I couldn't rescan a better one.

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u257/peugeot_2007/Jaguar2.jpg

SV
05-19-2008, 05:04 AM
ok here's mine. i was hoping to do something more finished but i forgot about the contest until a few hours ago so i just finished up a sketch i had started at school (which is why it's not on completely blank paper =/). still i think it turned out well...i took some inspiration from domino's techniques, which also helped. soo anyway:

http://img382.imageshack.us/img382/1550/xjfinalso7.jpg

it's probably a bit flame-surfaced for some but since that's where jag is headed anyway, it seemed appropriate. still i probably took it too far, but i don't really like going too "traditional." anyways crits (and votes) appreciated!

LamboMan
05-19-2008, 06:27 AM
Hi...I know time's almost up but Domino could you PLEASE PLEASE extend the contest to one more day. My entry is almost done....i would be really grateful if you could do so, one more day is all i need! Please!! :(

DoMiNo
05-19-2008, 08:10 AM
No prob. Unless there is anyone else who wants to get an entry in, I will plan on closing this as soon as LamboMan posts his entry.

Absolutely fantastic entries, everyone.

Citroeniste
05-19-2008, 05:00 PM
I have an entry done, but unfortunately my computer at home is having major issues and I am unable to scan my design in:sad2:

LamboMan
05-19-2008, 06:34 PM
Thanks Domino! You rule! BTW so does your entry...amazing as always! Just 2 hours more and i'll have posted my entry....sorry for the delay!

CosworthKid
05-19-2008, 06:57 PM
Stylist: WOW! That is a piece of art, incredibly gorgeous! Mr. Burns: I LOVE it! The back in particular looks incredible although to be honest that is a design i would love to see on a future Saab or, if slightly tweaked, on a Volvo!! DoMiNo: as always i love your work, no comments needed! Axis: L-O-V-E it as well mate. This has got to be the best entries in a single contest yet!

LamboMan
05-19-2008, 09:51 PM
Well here's mine....FINALLY!! :grintoothless: This is my take on what i feel the new XJ should look like...i mean i wanted to retain the somewhat royal image of the XJ and the sheer presence of such a large car (atleast thats how it looks like in the pictures!! :rofl:). Anyway i've tried not to stray too far away from the old image of this stately car, while trying my best to give it the new age Jag look.......something that will appeal to both, the loyal(and maybe conservative) customers who may have an old XJ and the new customers....So i hope i've got it right !! Thus i present to you The New Jaguar XJ - What a Jag is supposed to be! (complete with the leaping jaguar on the hood! )

http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/483689e1a3.jpg

For all those who are wondering what those things on the grille are, they are supposed to be blade like extensions of the body, put there for purely aesthetic/design purposes.

All C+C appreciated ! :woot1:

rodgerdodger
05-19-2008, 09:57 PM
Hey guys.. while everyone is making critiques about the designs, I have to make one of a different nature.

I'm noticing a trend here lately where several people are commenting and critiquing the drawings after each entry is posted. CosworthKid even went so far to name his 3-4 favorites before the last one was even in!

Perhaps it's the long lead time between contest beginning and end that causes such spontaneous praise.. but wouldn't it be more suspenseful to everyone, and possibly less discouraging to late entrants, to hold our critiques and comments about the drawings themselves until the judging phase? Just a thought.

CosworthKid
05-20-2008, 12:07 AM
Firstly it is not a trend, this is how it has always been or at least it has been since i became a member on CSS if not mistaken.I did nothing different from what everyone else does, the only difference with my post was that i summed up all my comments in one go. I see what you are saying and i do agree with you up to a certain point but the designers themselves are also offering their praises and critique so if its ok with them i don't see the harm.

DoMiNo
05-20-2008, 04:15 AM
Thank you to all entrants and onlookers for the wonderful participation, incredible entries, and thoughtful commentary. This contest is now CLOSED. Voting will be up shortly!

Really, great contest everyone! :)

DoMiNo
05-20-2008, 05:20 AM
Once again, I am beyond impressed with the participation. Absolutely top-notch stuff, and some new contenders to boot! With vacations coming up for many members I hope we can maintain this level of participation! Thank you to everyone who participated, and to those who did not, please vote and provide your input regardless!

Best of luck to all entrants!! Let the voting begin. Standard voting rules apply; (10) points divided among your (4) favorite entries. If you are unfamiliar with the voting rules, please read them here (http://www.carspyshots.net/showthread.php?t=2363).

Here is a hastily-assembled gallery of all entries:
http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/2288/xjgallerynv3.th.jpg (http://img341.imageshack.us/my.php?image=xjgallerynv3.jpg)

And here are the individual entries in the order received:

PRODIGY
(1)
http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/8697/prodigy1sf2.th.jpg (http://img337.imageshack.us/my.php?image=prodigy1sf2.jpg)
(2)
http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/1083/prodigy2it8.th.jpg (http://img297.imageshack.us/my.php?image=prodigy2it8.jpg)

NelsonDesign
http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/4806/nelsondesignye3.th.jpg (http://img337.imageshack.us/my.php?image=nelsondesignye3.jpg)

Audi_R8
(1)
http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/817/audir8gb5.th.jpg (http://img337.imageshack.us/my.php?image=audir8gb5.jpg)
(2)
http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/7275/audir82pr6.th.jpg (http://img337.imageshack.us/my.php?image=audir82pr6.jpg)

Vexed&Glorious
http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/3276/vexedandgloriousuj0.th.jpg (http://img174.imageshack.us/my.php?image=vexedandgloriousuj0.jpg)

mrfdesign
http://img364.imageshack.us/img364/3553/mrfdesignvz8.th.jpg (http://img364.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mrfdesignvz8.jpg)

knihc2008
http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/7654/knihc2008ie7.th.jpg (http://img174.imageshack.us/my.php?image=knihc2008ie7.jpg)

**ENTRIES CONTINUE BELOW!!**

Due to the completely senseless fact that we can only place 10 images per post I'm forced to divide the entries between two posts. Sorry for any inconvenience, but keep scrolling....

DoMiNo
05-20-2008, 05:21 AM
Here are the remaining entries:

DoMiNo
http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/5594/dominorz9.th.jpg (http://img341.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dominorz9.jpg)

Mr. Burns
http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/5114/mrburnsni0.th.png (http://img294.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mrburnsni0.png)

The Stylist
http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/1500/thestylistsr0.th.jpg (http://img171.imageshack.us/my.php?image=thestylistsr0.jpg)

AXIS
http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/6157/axisbr8.th.jpg (http://img297.imageshack.us/my.php?image=axisbr8.jpg)

ElementW
http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/7163/elementwai8.th.jpg (http://img171.imageshack.us/my.php?image=elementwai8.jpg)

SV
http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/7308/svvk1.th.jpg (http://img341.imageshack.us/my.php?image=svvk1.jpg)

LamboMan
http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/8711/lambomanel7.th.jpg (http://img294.imageshack.us/my.php?image=lambomanel7.jpg)

As always, let me know of any problems with links or pictures. And again, good luck!!

CosworthKid
05-20-2008, 10:48 AM
4 - the Stylist
3- Mr Burns
2 - Axis
1. DoMiNo

again this was the best concept so far IMO, all of them where awesome but i had to pick my favorites, the standards where truly high in this one!

taskbearer
05-20-2008, 12:51 PM
Great looking entries from everybody. Watched as entries came but could not participate as I was moving. I hope we continue with the same momentum for future contests. here's my vote
4-knihc2008 - This looks very modern , but still carries the wide slender grille presence of the current car. The side treatment is very aston rapid only more voulutous. lovely concept. You should definite develope on this.
3-The stylist - Awesome rendering and the design carries the XF design language into the XJ. the integration of headlamps and the grille is golden.
2-SV - lovely this concept for similar reasons as knihc2008s. It is recognisable XJ, but also connects with the XF. I love the foglamp and air intake treatment, but the side flame surfacing needs to be toned down a bit.
1-Domino - Another intensely executed concept. This vehicles design is well proportioned and uses the XF cues without being an exact copy.

Good job to everyone, this is one heated contest .

ElementW
05-20-2008, 08:02 PM
4-The Stylist
3-DoMiNo
2-Axis
1-Vexed&Glorious

The Stylist
05-20-2008, 11:50 PM
4 - Vexed&Glorious
3 - SV
2 - DoMiNo
1 - Mr Burns

driven by design
05-21-2008, 02:11 AM
4) Axis
At first, I was pretty certain my top vote would go to Stylist, but then yours came along. Traditionally, I've found your style to be a bit too angular and sometimes ungainly, but you have really impressed me with this piece. Perhaps more than the design itself, the presentation elements which surround it are positively dripping in Jaguar-ness. The lighting motif, lens flares and backdrop look like something straight out of one of Jaguar's television or print ads, and the extreme lighting of all the surfaces is spectacular. You reveal just enough of the design to convey the idea, while keeping certain elements hidden in shadow. The design itself is also the most progressive to me, eschewing both the current trend in Jaguar's look as well as the traditional look from the old S-Type and current XJ and establishing your very own look ... no small task, my friend. The fact that the rear slope of the roof is perhaps a bit too extreme for realistic rear headroom is easily overlooked here. What a wonderfully unique potential direction this design has! I was going to submit an entry with a profile featuring a rear shoulder haunch very similar to yours; not curved, but more of a Mustang-like horizontal kick over the fender, but you pulled it off way better than I would have! Excellently done.

3) The Stylist
Easily the most detailed render here, and like I stated above, you nearly had my top vote! Your headlight treatment is definitely a direction I would have taken my own design, as it doesn't copy old or new characteristics, yet is still identifiable as Jag. Reflections are superb, and I love the detail you put into the background. The drama of the design really comes out well due to exaggerated proportions, but I think after exaggerating so many of the features like the bonnet and headlights, you should have made the grille a bit larger as well because it seems a bit lost in the midst of all those large frontal features. I look forward to seeing more of your work.

2) SV
I like the fact that you preserved the XJ's traditional headlight configuration, but blended them together in a single array like some of Jaguar's past concept cars. It maintains an obvious connection to the model's heritage. I'm a little unsure of your decision to make the surfaces appear to go in so many different directions though, and there are some perspective issues that play into this, but I know it was something of a rushed sketch. Not a bad collection of ideas, considering the fact!

1) Domino
I'd have loved to rank this a bit higher, but compared to more creative entries, you're basically entering explored territory here. This seems one of your more conservative designs, and as an exercise for a long wheelbase XF, it's fantastic. If I'm correct, then it's been acknowledged that Callum has said the next XJ will share more of the C-XF's concept details than the production XF ended up adopting, so this is probably the most production-feasible prediction here. I think I might be looking at the next XJ here, which is the best compliment I can probably give, but it still would have been nice to see something just a little more distinct, daring, and imaginative just to push the boundaries a bit.

Citroeniste
05-21-2008, 02:17 AM
Well, I'm having to sit this one out since my computer wasn't cooperating. I'll post my design later with the sketches. The entries this time were fantastic! So here goes:

4 = Axis - Dramatic, radical, and aggressive while maintaining Jaguar design cues. Definitely your best work I've seen

3= Domino - Excellent work as usual, a clear evolution of the XF direction yet distinctive

2= The Stylist - Sleek, powerful, and conveying a high-performance image. This could be a winner with the proportion issues resolved in the image.

1=SV - Highly sculptural, successfully blending design cues from the current XJ with the XF. Proportions are a bit distorted in this design, and the wheels are really busy, possibly taking away from the rest of the design.

AXIS
05-21-2008, 05:05 PM
4- The Stylist:
WOW! you've come out of nowhere and knocked this one out of the park. I like the way you have managed to take the design principles established by Callum and give this an identity all its own maintaining the distinctive Jaguar DNA. Great Job.

3- SV:
An interesting mix of the traditional Jaguar elements with a twist of the modern aesthetic.
This is perhaps the most practical design of the bunch, the side surfacing is a bit much but its still an excellent effort.

2- DoMiNo:
As usual your execution is excellent, but the design is a bit staid by your standards. I would have liked to see you push the design a bit more. Its great that you have stuck to the new Jaguar design language but this just comes off as a re-skinned LWB XF.

1- ElementW:
I like the shapes you have established with your design, however it seems like it would be more fitting
for a Maserati than a Jag which IMO really isn't a bad thing.

This is one of the best contests we've had around here, I hope we can keep the momentum going
good job everyone.

LamboMan
05-21-2008, 06:38 PM
AXIS - 3
Domino - 2
ElementW - 2
The Stylist - 1
PRODIGY - 1
Audi_R8 - 1

knihc2008
05-23-2008, 08:47 AM
Thanks for the vote, Taskbearer! I liked the way the design came out too, I guess other people not so much hehe. I am developing it more, hope to post a final version soon.

Anyway, some spectacular entries here! Tough to vote but here we go
AXIS - 4
A very revolutionary design that doesn't simply look like a larger XF. It's very Jaguar yet doesn't steal any specific design cues from any other Jaguar. I have some serious problems with your proportions, though, AXIS. The cabin is way too radical and for some reason your front ends are always far too long. Anyway, the devil's in the details and I like the ones you've used here. Good job.
ElementW - 3
Again, another design that has Jaguar cues without being too obvious. I like the large grille in the front, it works quite well. The car looks modern yet very Jaguar at the same time, with smooth lines yet a very hunkered back and catlike stance. Nice.
SV - 2
A nice revolutionary design up front. But the sides are way too creased and flame surfaced to be on a Jaguar. Still, a nice design on its own; love the detail up front in the air dams, and the recessed door handles.
Domino - 1
A stunning render yet again! However, I feel like your design is too XF, not enough new or different here to differentiate the two apart. Also I feel like the wheelbase needs to be longer for XJ duty. Still, it is a fantastic design, and looks amazing nonetheless.

NelsonDesign
05-24-2008, 03:26 AM
Here are my votes

SV- 4
The Stylist- 3
Knihc- 2
Domino- 1

To all the others, you all did a great job! Good contest

PRODIGY
05-24-2008, 09:20 AM
Glad i'm back from my hols in time to vote.

What a superb contest!

It just shows how much love and passion there is for the Jaguar brand.

So then, the difficult decission of awarding points. There were 6 entries that I wanted to give points to, but alas....

3 = Axis
Definately your best work that i've seen. Sleek, modern, and the perfect direction for the XJ. Some might say that the roof is too impractical, I say it's perfect. Jaguar were the inventors of the 4 door coupe, it took Merc to catargorise it as a niche. This XJ brings Jaguar back to the top of the 4 door coupe game.

3 = Knihc2008
After my initial criticism, i've grown to like this design so much that i've given it equal top billing with AXIS's design. While AXIS has gone down the ultra modern route, yours has stuck to the gracefullness that all the classic XJs have. I dare say that your design would actually probably age better than AXIS's XJ. It's got that old 'space, grace, pace' qualities that Jag used to have.

2 = The Stylist
Awesome presentation and rendering. The design is also outstanding. Not quite as different as AXIS's, and not quite as gracefull as Knihc's, but if this contest were to be on presentation alone then you would have got top marks from me.

2 = Element W
Like the face of this XJ, and the shape is modern without being a bigger XF like mine was lol. That front end has a lot of presence!

The others..

As I said, this was a contest where I wish I could have given 6 people 4 points each. But because of the number of people you can award points to, and the total points being 10, this was obviously not possible.

These are the other 2 entries I wanted to give points to....

DoMiNo. No point commenting really on the design and presentation as every time your pen or pencil hits that paper, magic happens. So the only reason that you just missed out on the points is purely because I (slightly) preffered the other entries. Like me, you found it hard to design a non XF XJ lol, but that's no criticism.

Mr. Burns. Brilliant drawing and render, and I love the design. Very modern and coupe like. The reason why you didn't get my points is because it could be confused with something else. I see hardly any Jaguar or XJ cues in it, unlike some of the others. But maybe the next XJ should start anew and build a new image for itself like you've drawn? I certainly wouldn't complain! Believe me, you were very close to getting points.

The rest = All very good entries, too many of them to comment individually.

DoMiNo
05-27-2008, 05:10 AM
Voting is now CLOSED. Thank you to everyone who weighed in; not only were the entries fantastic, but the voting commentary was thoughtful and very welcome.

Here are the results (Note: LamboMan, I didn't see any problem with including your votes this time but in the future please adhere to our standard voting format as detailed in the first post. Thanks!):

The Stylist - 26
AXIS - 22
DoMiNo - 17
SV - 17
knihc2008 - 9
ElementW - 8
Vexed&Glorious - 5
Mr. Burns - 4
PRODIGY - 1
Audi_R8 - 1
NelsonDesign - 0
mrfdesign - 0
LamboMan - 0

Thanks again to everyone, and congratulations to The Stylist for a stunning entry and his first win!! Please PM me as soon as possible with your idea for the next contest; if you have more than one, we can open a poll. Congrats also to other point winners and to those who didn't get on the board this time, no worries! All of the entries were great, and there is always a new contest!