PDA

View Full Version : BATTLEFIELD VEHICLE Contest

DoMiNo
01-12-2008, 07:00 PM
http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/5466/warzonebr3.jpg

We live in a world of uncertainty, marred by conflicts and natural disasters that unfortunately place the troops of many nations in harm’s way. Be it in armored advances, counter-terrorism offensives, humanitarian aid missions, UN peacekeeping mandates, or rescue operations, it is the responsibility of every government to ensure the highest level of safety possible for its soldiers and diplomats.

NATO and UN nations have united in the call for a state-of-the-art armored troop carrier which will adapt to the changing threats of the battlefield while providing unparalleled capabilities on even the most treacherous terrain. This vehicle, the spiritual successor to aging (if capable) vehicles like the Willys Jeep, Land Rover Defender, and HUMVEE, must meet the following criteria:

It must be quick, and agile enough to maneuver in urban combat zones
It must be heavily armored, and designed to withstand detonations of ever more complex IEDs.
It must be practical, and should have the space to carry AT LEAST six troops and their equipment.
It should be an easily-modified design for duty across vastly differing missions and climates (i.e. desert combat versus rescue operations after a tsunami)
It should be efficient—incorporating fuel-saving technologies and/or alternate energy sources—but should be rugged enough to take a beating on the battlefield. <O:p
UN officials are confident that this new vehicle will save lives, and will allow troops, peacekeepers, diplomats, and aid workers the flexibility and capability they need to better face their challenges.

<O:p
This contest will end January 26, 2008.<O:p</O:p

AXIS
01-12-2008, 07:06 PM
I HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS CONTEST FOR SO LONG!

the future
01-13-2008, 06:19 PM
The best thing would be not to wage wars at all. The US didn't even have such a big army before the Cold War. Now, the Cold War is over, but the US is still mired in wars ever since. Just a thought...

against the wall
01-13-2008, 06:23 PM
does that have any relevance to the contest?

the future
01-13-2008, 06:29 PM
Yes, absolutely, come on!

No war = only a minor use for such a vehicle.

against the wall
01-13-2008, 06:35 PM
well, whatever. the reality is that we are in an age of war, and hes asking us to design a UN vehicle for war.

DoMiNo
01-13-2008, 06:41 PM
The fact of the matter is that the title of the thread is a bit restrictive; if you read the description you will find that there are much broader possible uses, just as there are for HUMVEES and Defenders today.

And no matter your views on war, I think we can all agree that it's unfortunately not going away any time soon and that in the event sending troops into dangerous places is necessary, it is best to have a vehicle that will keep them as safe as possible.

DO NOT TURN THIS INTO A POLITICAL THREAD. I envisioned this as a possibility but thought we would be mature enough to look at this from a task-->solution perspective rather than bring our personal morals or viewpoints into it.

the future, if you don't want to participate and/or are not interested in the topic then please just don't browse the thread. simple as that.

the future
01-13-2008, 06:53 PM
Hmmm, I should have expected an answer like this... I have even read your description where only 3.5 of 5 points are related to war. But then, the obvious title "welcome to battlefield".

I completely agree that this is actually a thread to discuss designs and not political opinions. But hey, it begins here to think about the future. If we don't allow reflections whether our trains of thoughts are headed to the right direction, we simply can't get ahead. Now call this "not mature enough". If you close this thread, then I don't have to browse it anymore... ;-)

sorry for being rude, dude!

mrfdesign
01-13-2008, 09:43 PM
lol dude this is simply a design contest. . . so if you want to take further part in this thread draw yourself a wonderful military vehicle and tell us all about it. Sound Good? Sweet haha no need for seriousness here guys!!! :-)

2o6
01-13-2008, 11:58 PM
lol dude this is simply a design contest. . . so if you want to take further part in this thread draw yourself a wonderful military vehicle and tell us all about it. Sound Good? Sweet haha no need for seriousness here guys!!! :-)

Yet another I will sit out.

SV
01-14-2008, 04:21 AM
hmm, now this sounds interesting...i'm intrigued, hopefully once i'm done with the 2 detroit debuts i'm working on i'll do this.

PRODIGY
01-14-2008, 10:31 AM
Mine is done!!

Just need to find either someone with a scanner, or find my bluetooth pen to transfer a pic of it from my phone camera. At the moment my scanner is not working, and my bluetooth pen missing. :(

Hopefully it'll be up in a couple of hours.

I haven't really rendered it as I see this contest as more of an idea contest rather than an art one.
That's my excuse and i'm sticking to it! :D

I hope everyone can draw up an entry, it's quite an interesting contest. Kudos to DoMiNo!

EDIT: 01/16/08. Still can't find my bluetooth pen, and I can't get hold of anyone with a scanner. So frustrating as it's all ready to show! It will be up ASAP hopefully!

PRODIGY
01-19-2008, 09:25 PM
Finally been able to get my entry scanned in!

I know it's a bit basic design wise, but anyways...
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb251/adythesaxoman/car%20drawings/img034.jpg

PRODIGY
01-19-2008, 09:33 PM
D'oh... the end of my drawings been cut off!

It's called the ATATAMAD and it stands for All Terrain, Anti Terror, American Missionary Army Device.

It has fold down seats on the outside and the roof is easily removable (The scanner cut off these points)

AXIS
01-22-2008, 05:19 PM
I'm somewhat of a GIJOE fanboy and I've been wanting to do a military inspired drawing for quite some time now, Props to DoMiNo for selecting this topic. I'll write up a press release later.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y141/hellospaceboy/THE_HIVE.jpg

kid
01-22-2008, 05:25 PM
holy cow axis..!!

that is a great rendering and one of your best!!!!

Mil
01-23-2008, 10:47 PM
Clear winner here :o

I'd be surprised if anyone can top that. Great job.

the future
01-24-2008, 12:58 AM
Now this was a hard one for me! First I thought I would join the contest and provocate with a brutal war vehicle over a background of Abu Ghraib pictures, but then I discarded this idea and still concentrated on creating a mean looking war vehicle.

Here comes APOC (Ambush-Protected Omnipurpose Carrier):

http://mitglied.lycos.de/vikingdesign/APOC 1.jpg

The front reminds of a soldier wearing a gasmask, and it does also have some traits of an Imperial Storm Trooper.

The back of the car can be changed easily, the picture below shows the full-armored people carrier version (the rear wheel got a little too big):

http://mitglied.lycos.de/vikingdesign/APOC 2.jpg

Like the MRAPs, APOC features a V-shaped groundplate for an improved IED protection. It's not easy to find fuel-saving technologies for an army vehicle. Anyway, the flexible APOC systems allows to exchange roof, doors, windscreen and coachwork. When APOC is used for peaceful operations, these parts can be replaced with lighter non-armored units. This helps reducing fuel consumption. The V-shaped groundplate remains, so it's still possible to drive APOC over a minefield.

http://mitglied.lycos.de/vikingdesign/APOC 3.jpg

DoMiNo
01-24-2008, 09:31 PM
Super-impressed with the quality of the entries thusfar. They all make mine (which hopefully I will be able to enter, if even in a very rough state) seem very conventional.

DoMiNo
01-26-2008, 06:00 PM
Do you guys mind if I extend this a day or two? :/

ClunBB9
01-27-2008, 02:20 AM
Yeah, please do extend it. I need to finish my renderings first before I can get to sketching for this contest. School starts next wednesday and I have 4 more renderings to do so I need to do these much faster than normally.

Quattro
01-27-2008, 02:30 AM
i agree, please extend it, im 95% finished,

Quattro
01-27-2008, 05:42 AM
http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/8136/copyofcfdqm2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

mrfdesign
01-27-2008, 01:02 PM
Lol dude, u do realise this is a battlefield contest not a pansyfield contest? U've ruined ur design by putting pretty blue skies and grass around it. Shoulda been harsh desert landscape and rough n tough. I dont reckon alfa would ever design a military vehicle:) haha and definately would.nt hark back to their squareness. But interesting effort. Axis i think u've won fair and square, i dont even think we need to vote :) or maybe domino worked his magic? :)

the future
01-27-2008, 01:42 PM
Lol dude, u do realise this is a battlefield contest not a pansyfield contest? U've ruined ur design by putting pretty blue skies and grass around it. Shoulda been harsh desert landscape and rough n tough. I dont reckon alfa would ever design a military vehicle:) haha and definately would.nt hark back to their squareness. But interesting effort. Axis i think u've won fair and square, i dont even think we need to vote :) or maybe domino worked his magic? :)

Thank you for the esteem of Prodigy's and my work. Axise's work looks cool, no doubt. But this is not a beauty contest - and does 'HIVE' also fit DoMiNo's criteria? Please read again his target specification and then think everything over, right?

AXIS
01-27-2008, 04:44 PM
Thank you for the esteem of Prodigy's and my work. Axise's work looks cool, no doubt. But this is not a beauty contest - and does 'HIVE' also fit DoMiNo's criteria? Please read again his target specification and then think everything over, right?

Do explain how my design doesn't fit the criteria

mrfdesign
01-27-2008, 05:52 PM
Wel wel. Fine I'l explain why. Future ,i think your design is very dated and thus for a design contest it is not going to do very well. It needs to be groundbreaking to get votes. Axis's design is very groundbreaking. Top notch. And by the way this is a design contest thus your statement of ' its not a beauty contest' is wrong in my opinion because design is beauty, beauty is design. Prodigy i think yours is between conventional and pushing the boundaries. I reckon u should've pushed the boundaries a little more. But good work. Axis yours is awesome and fits the bill perfectly in my opinion. I havent heard domino complaining that its not in line with the theme.

the future
01-27-2008, 06:02 PM
- quick and agile: HIVE's buggy fits this criteria perfectly. I guess HIVE itself is intended to stay out of town.
- heavily armored and IED-proof: the buggy doesn't look so, but isn't this the one that should be?
- space for 6+ troops and equipment: The buggy doesn't seem to have. How do the other soldiers get into the urban combat zone?
- easily-modified design: I can only speculate, but HIVE seems to have a big potential here, ie ambulance instead of buggy and so on
- efficiency: okay, it has solar panels, but they're only big enough to feed lights or air con. HIVE looks very heavy and not so eco-friendly :)

Axis, you surely have thought through your concept, and I'm sure you agree that people should decide on the basis of the overall construction design and not on the basis of its look. I think mrfdesign's comment wasn't fair, maybe he should just take part in this contest himself...

DoMiNo
01-27-2008, 06:28 PM
I will simply echo the future in saying that your votes should be based upon how well the vehicle fits the listed criteria. It was a big concern of members in our "what can we do better?" thread that too often people place more weight on presentation than substance in their votes. I welcome the different approaches and I'm impressed by the quality of entries. Just bear that in mind that the designers were presented a series of challenges that each had to resolve in the best way he saw fit. The voters' job is to determine who tackled them in the smartest way.

mrfdesign
01-27-2008, 08:03 PM
Wel i would love to have taken part but im actually designing advertisements and very busy. Im simply expressing my opinion man. Just because i prefer Axis's vehicle over yours doesnt mean u have to make a big fuss over it. Im not going to vote now on this contest because i seem to ridiculed because of my opinions. . .

Quattro
01-27-2008, 10:55 PM
Lol dude, u do realise this is a battlefield contest not a pansyfield contest? U've ruined ur design by putting pretty blue skies and grass around it.
i set the pics in a grassland, like the ones on the TV show LOST, but yes i admit my design is very far from the criteria

It must be quick, and agile enough to maneuver in urban combat zones - yes
It must be heavily armored, and designed to withstand detonations of ever more complex IEDs. -no(i dont even know what an IED is?)
It must be practical, and should have the space to carry AT LEAST six troops and their equipment. -its practical, but can only carry 2 troops
It should be an easily-modified design for duty across vastly differing missions and climates (i.e. desert combat versus rescue operations after a tsunami) - its designed as an all-rounder, but the troops can use the bonvertible or the coupe, as they would both be suitable for desert combat or tsunami relief
It should be efficientóincorporating fuel-saving technologies and/or alternate energy sourcesóbut should be rugged enough to take a beating on the battlefield.- it has a flexi fuel V8 capable of running on ethanol or petrol

gotrice
01-28-2008, 04:50 AM
With all due respect, why don't you guys save the commentary about individual designs until the voting phase? This is supposed to be a contest, so it seems a bit premature to start b1tching about dated designs, meeting criteria, blue skies/green grass and the like until all the entries have been submitted -- not to mention giving those who haven't submitted theirs yet an unfair advantage.

DoMiNo
01-28-2008, 05:32 AM
Well said.

rodgerdodger
01-28-2008, 06:07 AM
Just for fun.. doubt anyone will vote for this, especially in light of the amazing competition posted thus far.. but thought my quick 'n' rough concept fit the criteria quite nicely, and could actually give Cerberus the shot in the arm they desperately need!

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh127/rodgerdodger_photo/DodgeBullets.jpg

DoMiNo
01-28-2008, 06:10 AM
LMAO Nice!

DoMiNo
01-28-2008, 07:51 AM
A spiritual successor to the venerable HMMWV (“Humvee”), AM General’s newest combat-ready vehicle—the Hummer Hv—is equipped to meet the challenges of tomorrow’s most demanding military situations.

Building on the Humvee’s solid reputation, this revolution in military vehicles begins with a longer wheelbase—but practically zero overhang. Combined with a massive 15 inches of ground clearance and an unparalleled 20” range of suspension articulation, the Hv is the most capable offroad vehicle on four wheels. Mechanically-operated side steps allow for easy ingress and egress, despite the vehicle’s height. The high ground clearance puts more distance between the vehicle’s occupants and the hazards of the road below, but in the event that it encounters a hostile explosive device, the Hv has been designed to far exceed the U.S. Army’s long-term armor strategy (LTAS) in its passive defense measures. Its steel-reinforced “boat hull” V-shaped underbody is designed to deflect major detonations. The entire body is fitted with next-generation modular ceramic/Kevlar armor plating to ensure survivability of Hv’s occupants in a hostile attack; the small plates are designed to withstand multiple hits from even heavy-caliber weapons and are easy enough to replace while the vehicle is deployed in the field. But perhaps the most valuable and innovative system on each Hv is the 165 degree forward-sweeping mine/IED detection system, designed to perceive multiple types of hostile explosive devices long before impact. A network of fore-mounted sensors scans the terrain ahead to ensure safe passage.

<O:p</O:p
No vehicle is completely immune to damage, however, be it from hostile fire or harsh terrain. It is for this reason that the Hummer Hv has been designed with several redundant systems, from electronics (batteries are stored both fore and aft) to the powertrain. The Hv enjoys the advantage of two biodiesel-capable engines. The larger unit up front powers all four wheels under normal conditions, while the smaller, rear-mounted engine (beneath the modular trunk system to be described below) is an auxiliary unit that kicks in under hard acceleration, in tough terrain, and when the front engine has been somehow disabled. This smaller motor can power the Hv to safety in the event of a catastrophic attack, natural hazard, or malfunction. The same ingenuity has been applied to the Hv’s wheels, which are truly modular: in the event of damage, the individual spokes, rims, and entire hub assemblies may be replaced in the field. Furthermore, each wheel enjoys its own onboard diagnostic system, with the ability to fill or release air as required by terrain, and even patch the massive Kevlar-reinforced all-terrain tires on the fly.

Aside from plentiful power and torque, the Hummer Hv is the most agile combat vehicle available, equipped with split axles front and rear (a la Jeep Hurricane concept). Separate driveshafts power each individual wheel, ensuring equal torque distribution and greater traction. This also allows independent four-wheel steering for unmatched maneuverability in tight situations. The Hv can even rotate 360 degrees in place. There is simply no spot too tight for the Hv.

Multi-layer heavy ballistic glass allows for sweeping visibility from inside the Hv. An expansive windshield, four windows on each side, and a full backlight allow occupants to have a terrific handle on the environment surrounding them. In dangerous situations, however, armored “combat shields” deploy from the base of the windshield (as well as inside each outboard window) to provide extra protection. In this case, the Hv’s electronic optical systems, mounted atop and on each side of the vehicle, allow soldiers inside to maintain a 360 degree view of their surroundings. A variety of onboard defense systems (automated, remote-controlled Vulcan cannon shown) keep occupants safe in even the fiercest ambush.

The Hv is not designed for only frontline combat, however. A variety of humanitarian applications also exist, and the vehicle’s modular design allows for a high degree of flexibility in its configuration. The removable covered trunk may be replaced with different storage/supplies compartments, heavy equipment (including water tanks for light firefighting duty), or even additional personnel-carrying capability. This allows the Hv nearly unlimited adaptations and further increases its appeal across a wide variety of roles, both military and civilian.

AM General is proud to offer the Hv beginning in Q2 of 2009.

http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/3417/hummerhvci0.jpg

mrfdesign
01-28-2008, 09:18 AM
Wow domino . And u said it was going to be rough! Thats pretty awesome vehicle. I love its aggressive stance and mean looks

Israelicarfan
01-28-2008, 09:41 PM
Just for fun.. doubt anyone will vote for this, especially in light of the amazing competition posted thus far.. but thought my quick 'n' rough concept fit the criteria quite nicely, and could actually give Cerberus the shot in the arm they desperately need!

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh127/rodgerdodger_photo/DodgeBullets.jpg

this one is really cool, easy to do, and seems logical. I like the disign but I think it could use some more protection from blasts. However, Its still awseom

DoMiNo
01-29-2008, 05:28 AM
***CONTEST CLOSED***

Thanks to all participants! Voting will be up shortly.