PDA

View Full Version : Your suggestions for 2008

bm88
01-02-2008, 03:09 PM
If you have any suggestions for the new year regarding the contests make sure you post them in this thread.

The general format has been quite a success but if anyone feels they have an idea which would make things more interesting - please do post it.

-Ben

PRODIGY
01-03-2008, 04:43 PM
I shouldn't really comment here, as i have never done a photoshop in my life. I haven't even got the program (anyone wanna tell me how to get it for free lol?).

But anyway, I like the contest we had in the Automotive design section for the ressurection of Mercury. Maybe a chop contest could run parralel with the design contest for the same 'subject'?

Automote
01-03-2008, 05:49 PM
How about a competition to design a replacement for the newly introduced Subaru Impreza? I spent an hour looking at a pic of it last night and still didn't know where to start. It's just so bland and they've absolutely no design direction..it's hard to know what to do with it??

Whadya think?

Mac

http://automote.blogspot.com/

MarioBro88
01-03-2008, 10:50 PM
Design Comps in general for a redo of a specific car, like a redo of the Honda Insight, or a new Toyota Avalon.

rrsportsc
01-04-2008, 01:06 AM
How about a 4-car lineup from each individual. Sport Car, Luxury Car, SUV and Convertible from any manufacturer?

JBlair
01-04-2008, 02:07 AM
1) Narrow the choices down to two pictures for the vote. The last competition proved that having more than two means that a crappier car can win.
2) Do theme contests. (like, lets chop what we think the new Fusion will look like, or what the next Explorer will look like.) Right now its too open for interpretation, and younger choppers would do better if they're options are more limited. (because they'll have a set goal of what to chop, instead of just saying, 'go chop this')
3)Try doing concept and production chops. e.g. take a concept car and have the contest be turning it into a production car, or take a production car, and turn it into a concept.

Right now I think the contests are just suffering from a lack of direction, which makes it more difficult for people to be involved. If the contests are more focused, it will help level the playing field a bit (some people are, after all, more creative than others), and it should help get more people involved. I also think that we need to move to an anonymous submission system, where people vote based on the chops only and with no knowledge of who actually chopped it. I know the idea has been toyed with and rejected before, but the contests just aren't working right now with the way its being done.

StevenZoz
01-04-2008, 02:59 AM
1) Narrow the choices down to two pictures for the vote. The last competition proved that having more than two means that a crappier car can win.
2) Do theme contests. (like, lets chop what we think the new Fusion will look like, or what the next Explorer will look like.) Right now its too open for interpretation, and younger choppers would do better if they're options are more limited. (because they'll have a set goal of what to chop, instead of just saying, 'go chop this')
3)Try doing concept and production chops. e.g. take a concept car and have the contest be turning it into a production car, or take a production car, and turn it into a concept.

Right now I think the contests are just suffering from a lack of direction, which makes it more difficult for people to be involved. If the contests are more focused, it will help level the playing field a bit (some people are, after all, more creative than others), and it should help get more people involved. I also think that we need to move to an anonymous submission system, where people vote based on the chops only and with no knowledge of who actually chopped it. I know the idea has been toyed with and rejected before, but the contests just aren't working right now with the way its being done.

i like your idea

Quattro
01-04-2008, 09:03 AM

thats hot, i agree with every single word in your post, it is all very true, No.3 is a very good idea,

but i think in general that we have no structure in the PS. photoshop contests, like the chop of the year thread hasnt even been closed yet and its january 4, && i think mods should be more prompt & not leave ages to open a voting thread & take ages announce the winner, (but then again the mods here are the best mods on any forum i go on).

but honestly, i think the photoshop contest sytem need to be re-vamped

bm88
01-08-2008, 09:42 PM
So the general things your saying are that you'd like to have a set target (i.e. Make the new.....) which I think is a good idea which we could run in rotation with the normal contests.

This is something interesting that is very feasible so we can try this with the first contest of 2008.

If anyone else has any suggestions I will leave this open another week or so.

New contest will be up in the next couple of days.

-Ben

CosworthKid
01-29-2008, 01:10 PM
I suggested this in a different thread before but i might as well do it here officialy, hehe;
How bout designing the 2009 replacement for the Taurus based on either 1) Mullaly's talks and intentions about creating a global look for the next generation of Fords (fusion of Kintetic and Bold?) or 2) using popular theory that it might take styling cues from the Interceptor. But not to try and make a "i wish the Taurus looked like a coupe" path cause we know it needs to be a conventional sedan

ophex
01-30-2008, 05:28 PM
Fixing the 2008 Honda pilot

ajprice
01-12-2009, 11:19 PM
There have been suggestions in different threads, so bringing this up again for 2009.

My suggestion would be to make the comps a bit more open, similar to the Automotive Design Contests. So instead of having to chop a certain picture into anything you want, have a theme for each contest, picking a few title from there as examples -

Dodge Small Car Design Contest
The Next Bugatti
Sports Car Icon: Great Britain
The Pre-War Revival Design Contest

Picking any base picture, and photoshopping it to fit the theme. When doing a photoshop image, you're basically designing a car anyway, so its basically the reverse of the current system. Instead of all starting with the same thing to come up with a different end, its starting where we want to get to a similar result, but there shouldn't be similar entries because the chances are that we all start with different bases. This would take a bit more of a think about what you do with a chop, rather than tweaking or changing the bodystyle of a given car

My $0.02