PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Chicago Auto Show

(Player4)
12-09-2007, 08:25 PM
2008 Chicago Auto Show

The 2008 Chicago Auto Show Celebrates its 100th year "First To One Hundred", 100 Shows.

First Look for Charity - Thursday Feb. 7 6:30 PM - 10:30 PM
Public Show Friday, Feb. 8 - Saturday, Feb. 16 10:00 AM - 10:00 PM
Public Show Sunday, Feb. 17 10:00 AM - 8:00 PM

Special Days

Tuesday, Feb. 12 Women's Day Half off the full admission price for all women. Manufacturers will present special women-oriented programs on the purchase and lease of cars and maintenance.

Wednesday, Feb, 13,
Thursday, Feb. 14,
Friday, Feb. 15 Chicago Auto Show Food Drive Show patrons who bring three cans of food, donated to the Chicago Christian Industrial League; will receive half off the full admission price.

2008 World Introductions:
Dodge Chanllenger

Challenger Intro Site: http://www.chicagoautoshow.com/news/dodgechallenger.asp

Anybody have any speculations?

stinger
12-10-2007, 12:34 AM
Besides the debut of the Challenger, VW is debuting its new Chrysler built minivan, Suzuki is reported unveiling a new mid-size pickup called the Equator and Dodge is planning some kind of promotion with the Journey so I'm wondering if it's making its NA debut in Chicago. Considering this is the 100th edition of the greatest auto show in North America, I would hope the manufacturers would hold a few more debuts in Chicago than in years past.

against the wall
12-10-2007, 03:12 AM
dodge already debuted the journey in LA. the promotion is probably just because its scheduled to go on sale about a month from the show.

knicks125
12-10-2007, 03:30 AM
Here is the promotion for the Journey:

http://www.media.chrysler.com/newsrelease.do?id=7518&mid=1

I've summarized for the lazy:

- Get hitched on the show floor at Chicago on Valentine's Day

- all-expense paid wedding ceremony

- a Dodge Journey

I don't know, personally I wouldn't want to get married on the floor of an auto show but that's just me.

knicks125
12-19-2007, 04:31 AM
Hyundai Sonata facelift is confirmed:

Source: Milestone for Hyundai Sonata: One Million and Counting (http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/12-18-2007/0004725201&EDATE=)

TURK
12-19-2007, 06:04 AM
Is the 2009 Dodge Ram suppose to be at Chicago or Detroit ?

PRODIGY
12-19-2007, 03:57 PM
- Get hitched on the show floor at Chicago on Valentine's Day....

- ....I don't know, personally I wouldn't want to get married on the floor of an auto show but that's just me.

What about doing something else on the floor with a lady? :D

Seriously though, how desperate are they to promote the Journey?

stinger
12-20-2007, 04:41 AM
It's happening again. Detroit is getting a bunch of major world debuts and Chicago is getting a handful. It makes absolutely no sense since Chicago is the largest auto show in North America and the '08 show will be the 100th edition. I realize Detroit is basically an industry show where Chicago is a consumer show but it still stinks.

Player4
12-20-2007, 04:49 AM
Well it really isnt that bad if you think about it because all the cars that debuted at Detroit will be at Chicago, so its better. And then at NY all the cars from Detroit and CHicago will be there so it really isnt that bad.

I might be going to this auto show hopefully (keeping my fingers crossed) its about 6 hrs away from my house and i havent been since 04...

Anybody else going?

MtViewGuy188
12-21-2007, 04:25 AM
It will be very interesting to see what Honda introduces at Detroit, Chicago and New York auto shows.

I hope they break with tradition and introduces either the Acura TSX or TL at Chicago in February 2008. :)

Player4
12-21-2007, 04:54 AM
Well Honda is introducing the Pilot concept at Detroit, so the production should be at NY. Or maybe not even debut it at an auto show like they did when the new 2005 Odyssey came out as well as with the new Accord.

iMac Daddy
12-29-2007, 11:35 PM
It will be very interesting to see what Honda introduces at Detroit, Chicago and New York auto shows.

I hope they break with tradition and introduces either the Acura TSX or TL at Chicago in February 2008. :)

The 2009 TSX was listed on the Chicago Auto Show website, but it was pulled not too long ago. Either Acura is trying to keep this a secret for as long as they can, or they have decided to delay the unveiling.

caarmike
12-30-2007, 03:27 PM
Kia's got a new Spectra on the way. If you look at it in the spy shots thread it seems pretty much ready to go. I think its possibility for Chicago.

piokor
12-31-2007, 10:43 PM
I haven't been to the Chicago Auto Show in two years, but I'm planning going this year. It would be a waste if I didn't, I live literally 15 minutes away from McCormick, in Lincoln Park. I always feel bad for Chicago, it always gets gipped on premieres...

Buick always has a thing or two saved for Chicago, anything they could possibly announce? I doubt the next Lacrosse is ready yet... maybe a new concept?

rv65
01-03-2008, 09:37 AM
Oops never mind.

Looks like an amazing show. Acura doesn't have anything really for detroit so Chicago could be a show to debut the MMC RL, TSX FMC, new SUV/CUV or a TL concept. Maybe a few vehicles but thats asking for too much.

stinger
01-10-2008, 05:24 AM
The latest media update shows there will be world and north American debuts from Acura, Porsche (possibly facelifted Boxster or Cayman), Hyundai (Sonata), Suzuki (Equator pickup), Mitsubishi, Ford, BMW, GM, VW (minivan) and, of course, the Challenger. I hope there's more than that. In terms of floor space and size of displays, Chicago is the largest auto show in the world and it's the 100th edition. Apparently none of that matters because it appears that Chicago is getting shafted on debuts once again.

stinger
01-10-2008, 05:51 AM
I haven't been to the Chicago Auto Show in two years, but I'm planning going this year. It would be a waste if I didn't, I live literally 15 minutes away from McCormick, in Lincoln Park. I always feel bad for Chicago, it always gets gipped on premieres...

Buick always has a thing or two saved for Chicago, anything they could possibly announce? I doubt the next Lacrosse is ready yet... maybe a new concept?

Lucky you. I was born and raised in Chicago and I attended every C.A.S. from 1957-2001. Now I live in Las Vegas and I really miss the show. For all the money in Vegas, it may have the worst auto show in north America. I'm thinking about flying in this year.

Shomare
01-15-2008, 02:43 AM
Looks like the XC60 might also make a showing at Chicago.

Didn't show as I expected at Detroit so maybe Volvo is waiting until Chicago to show it. It's slated for sale in the States at the end of the summer, late Fall.

Akzidenz
01-16-2008, 12:36 PM
Looks like the XC60 might also make a showing at Chicago.

Didn't show as I expected at Detroit so maybe Volvo is waiting until Chicago to show it. It's slated for sale in the States at the end of the summer, late Fall.

The production XC60 is to be shown for the first time at the Geneva Auto Show in march. This has been confirmed by Volvo Cars CEO Fredrik Arp.
Link to the interview (in swedish):
http://www.dn.se/DNet/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=1064&a=732804

63Bonneville
01-16-2008, 08:57 PM
Now that the Detroit NAIAS is well under way, what can we expect in Chicago along with the production Dodge Challenger and Chrysler-based Volkswagen Routan MPV/Minivan?

The Chicago auto-show is now fast approaching. I realize that Chicago caters mostly to production releases more so than concepts, which I do appreciate, for we get to see premieres of what we'll actually see in showrooms and streets rather than whats trimmed, enhanced, and glammed up for show purposes.

against the wall
01-16-2008, 08:59 PM
im speculating chevy camaro. gm is gonna want to steal thunder from the challenger debut, i'd bet. and with them taking all the camo off the car, it could be even more likely that its debuting sooner than later.

2b2
01-16-2008, 11:32 PM
...what can we expect in Chicago...?

I'm hoping for the Mercury Milan (MCE & hybrid)
...and any other new model they sneak under Ford's radar ;)

stinger
01-17-2008, 03:36 AM
Here's what's confirmed:

Dodge Challenger
'09 Hyundai Sonata
VW Routan
Suzuki Equator

Other debuts from Porsche (facelifted Boxster or Cayman)
Mitsubishi (Galant ?)
Ford (possibly Ford Fusion/Milan/MKZ facelifts)
GM
BMW
International
Acura.

I'm hoping for the Kia Spectra to debut here. I would be shocked if the Camaro showed up.

Beyond that, who knows.

Ahura
01-17-2008, 09:13 AM
So when will the US Mazda6 be reveiled..?

rv65
01-17-2008, 09:49 AM
Here's what's confirmed:

Dodge Challenger
'09 Hyundai Sonata
VW Routan
Suzuki Equator

Other debuts from Porsche (facelifted Boxster or Cayman)
Mitsubishi (Galant ?)
Ford (possibly Ford Fusion/Milan/MKZ facelifts)
GM
BMW
International
Acura.

I'm hoping for the Kia Spectra to debut here. I would be shocked if the Camaro showed up.

Beyond that, who knows.

The RL will come to Chicago for sure. It will be the most expensive and largest facelift for an Acura/Honda vehicle. Almost like a redesign. Lots of major improvements. The SH-AWD system has been reworked to provide even more torque to the rear wheels. Stay tuned for more details.

mitsupwr
01-18-2008, 11:16 PM
MY09 MITSUBISHI ECLIPSE

piokor
01-19-2008, 12:41 AM
MY09 MITSUBISHI ECLIPSE

Is it just a refresh? or a major facelift?

stinger
01-21-2008, 02:00 AM
According to Edmunds.com, Toyota hates the Chicago Auto Show and is keeping a low profile at the '08 show. Last year, they chose Chicago to unveil the two new (and very ugly, I might add) Scion models and they unveiled the FJ Cruiser there as well but, all of a sudden, they hate Chicago. For me, it's just another reason why I hate Toyota. You couldn't give me one of their fugly vehicles. Screw Toyota!

against the wall
01-21-2008, 02:21 AM
thats an odd reason to hate a company. because they dont debut cars at a show? im sure they have their reasons....
so i guess you hate porsche too since they decided to not even show up at detroit...

stinger
01-21-2008, 04:20 AM
I couldn't care less about Detroit. I'm only interested in Chicago. At least Porsche has debuts scheduled for Chicago. By the way, I've always hated Toyota. Most of their vehicles are extremely ugly.

mitsupwr
01-21-2008, 08:02 PM
Is it just a refresh? or a major facelift?

More like a major face lift.

Player4
01-21-2008, 08:33 PM
Acura RL is also debuting here - a super major facelift

DATSUN
01-22-2008, 08:26 PM
MY09 MITSUBISHI ECLIPSE

So they're debuting the Galant and the Eclipse here?

ClunBB9
01-23-2008, 04:51 AM
To a lot of car companies, the Chicago show isn't that big of a deal. LA, Tokyo, Detriot, Geneva, & Frankfurt are much more important to them.

against the wall
01-25-2008, 09:17 PM
you can add the GMC "crewman" concept and the Hummer H3T to the list.

stinger
01-26-2008, 12:05 AM
I've read Ford may be debuting the Transit Connect van in Chicago.

knicks125
01-26-2008, 01:02 AM
So the picture is starting to become clearer:

(in order of press conference)

Chevy Traverse
Dodge Challenger
Acura RL
VW Jetta TDi (??)
Suzuki Equator
Ford Transit (??)
GMC Crewman concept
HUMMER H3T
Hyundai Sonata
BMW (??)
Bentley (??)
Porsche (??)
Mitsubishi Eclipse (??)
Volvo (??)

Israelicarfan
01-26-2008, 01:13 AM
The international is supposed to be called the lonestar

against the wall
01-26-2008, 02:35 AM
knicks the VW is the Routan.

and i have this really odd feeling that Audi may debut something here. Theyre supposed to be debuting a variant of a model during a super bowl commercial (many speculate R8 spider, but that'll be the answer for every audi mystery until it debuts).
on second thought, whatever they show in their commercial will probably debut at geneva.

Israelicarfan
01-26-2008, 03:43 AM
knicks the VW is the Routan.

and i have this really odd feeling that Audi may debut something here. Theyre supposed to be debuting a variant of a model during a super bowl commercial (many speculate R8 spider, but that'll be the answer for every audi mystery until it debuts).
on second thought, whatever they show in their commercial will probably debut at geneva.

what if it was the a3 convertible.

piokor
01-26-2008, 08:55 AM
what if it was the a3 convertible.

I doubt they would use the Super Bowl to show the A3 convertible, seeing as how it's not going to be sold here in the US.

against the wall
01-26-2008, 04:56 PM
i wish it was some form of the RS6, but thats not happening:(
its probably the R8 vert or the Q5.

63Bonneville
01-27-2008, 10:13 AM
I know were not getting the RS6 wagon in USDM, but we could get the sedan.

I also saw a recent article that a Zeta-based GMC crew pickup concept is appearing in Chicago, pushed ahead from the New York show, but the production "El Camino" like Pontiac G8 pickup will debut in New York.

against the wall
01-27-2008, 03:38 PM
yeah, i think originally it was supposed to be the other way around, but i guess they changed their minds. im really anxious to see what a ute looks like in real life, as ive never seen one before. subaru baja doesnt count.

stinger
01-28-2008, 12:18 AM
Knicks125,

Where did you find the list of press conferences?

knicks125
01-28-2008, 02:10 AM
Got it in an email.

ATW, thanks for the VW debut - Routan - apparently I forgot about it already...lol

By the way, Audi doesn't have a press conference scheduled so it's unlikely we'll see a debut.

against the wall
01-30-2008, 11:13 PM
in case anyone is interested the webcams are up on the chicago auto show website. nothing to write home about yet, unless you find thousands of wooden crates containing pieces for the car platforms/stages interesting.

stinger
02-01-2008, 02:55 AM
If there are any subscribers to this blog going to the show, PLEASE take lots of pictures and post them.

Shomare
02-01-2008, 02:26 PM
If there are any subscribers to this blog going to the show, PLEASE take lots of pictures and post them.

I'll be there on Wednesday & Thursday and plan to fill my memory cards.

stinger
02-01-2008, 09:27 PM
I'll be there on Wednesday & Thursday and plan to fill my memory cards.

Shomare,

PM sent

63Bonneville
02-01-2008, 10:30 PM
I'm kind of hoping for the upgraded Acura RL to show, I'm curious to see what was done, being it' s said to be significant, without a full redesign. Of course the Challenger will be a highlight, as well as that GMC Zeta crew pickup concept.

I'm sure we'll hear of some other debuts as the next few days go on, especially after the big game!

2b2
02-02-2008, 06:55 AM
in case anyone is interested the webcams are up on the chicago auto show website. nothing to write home about yet, unless you find thousands of wooden crates containing pieces for the car platforms/stages interesting.

Anyone know if they turned off the webcams?
They were working fine for me yesterday but this evening all I get is the album.

TheCarBlogger
02-02-2008, 07:28 AM
Mark Bilek, Internet Director Chicago Auto Show.com

February 1, 2008, 4:59PM: Now for an episode of “When blogging goes bad.” All Chicago Auto Show Web cam fans can thank AutoBlog.com. They posted a link to the Chicago Auto Show Web cams and asked visitors to “check out the cams periodically and see if anything of interest is rolling onto the floor. Do a screen grab and send us [them] a tip.”

Thanks to your friends at AutoBlog, the Web cams are disabled. It is one thing to leave the cams up for the general public, but it’s another when they are used for a Web site’s personal promotion. Yea, I got a screen cap for you AutoBlog, it’s a big middle-finger salute from all of the Web cam fans of the Chicago Auto Show thanking keeping them in the dark.

PS, we’ll turn the cams back on next Wednesday.

Bunch of garbage, I must say, for putting Autoblog on the spotlight. If they haven't noticed, enthusiasts years before have gone scouting for glimpses. Thumbs down on them.

ricerammer
02-02-2008, 07:35 AM
Dear Mark Bilek,

You are an asshole.

2b2
02-02-2008, 11:02 AM
thanks, TheCarBlogger!
...PS, we’ll turn the cams back on next Wednesday.

that's disappointing
Wed is media day iirc & everything'll be all set up...

...as well as in galleries on every car site on the net.

I could understand if they did it when the CARS were arriving but during set-up?
...tho the Ford guys were working awfully late last night, hmmm.

against the wall
02-02-2008, 04:53 PM
gee, and they want us to visit the website now? yeah taking down the webcams is really gonna make us keep visiting the website.:woops:

StevenZoz
02-02-2008, 06:55 PM
I also saw a recent article that a Zeta-based GMC crew pickup concept is appearing in Chicago, pushed ahead from the New York show, but the production "El Camino" like Pontiac G8 pickup will debut in New York.

g8 pickup is dead

against the wall
02-02-2008, 07:16 PM
no it isnt. the wagon is dead. the G8 ST is not.

piokor
02-03-2008, 04:29 AM
The Denali XT looks pretty awesome. I can't wait to see it when I go to the show. I'm planning on going with some friends on the 10th, next Sunday.

63Bonneville
02-03-2008, 09:19 AM
The G8 ST pickup is a go (an effort with minimal investment), the sportwagon is dead for USDM; El Camino fans rejoice!
That GMC Denali XT shows promise, and many or most of the good are in place, I hope it's gets greenlit, along with other Zetas for USDM (Buick & Cadillac). I lament the decision against a Zeta Impala replacement and against a GTO (even though the G8 does suffice here, and I hear a higher performance edition is also approved - one to outperform the last Monaro/GTO 6.0L), but, at least there's a Camaro coming up, and who knows if a Zeta Chevrolet sedan could surface, but it won't be an Impala replacement (I'm speculating on this) but an addition.

I would like to see an updated list of Chicago debuts, both concept like the GMC Denali XT and the production entries, both new and facelifted.

2b2
02-03-2008, 09:42 PM
I read that Ford is having a
"embargoed Chicago Auto Show preview tomorrow night"
elsewhere(lofi) (http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums/lofiversion/index.php?t21016.html)

may explain stuff in my previous webcam posts
&
wonder if (yeah right) anyone will break the embargo?

Shomare
02-04-2008, 12:29 AM
None that I've heard of and since the media days don't start until Wednesday, I can't see the press showing up for info on one FoMoCo product.

63Bonneville
02-04-2008, 11:53 PM
Any further news on Chicago and it's premieres? Though Chicago is not as forefront as Detriot (NAIAS) and Geneva, it seems to be consumer focused and it's premieres are mostly production, which I like for it keeps it real, instead of too much glitz or pie-in-the sky concepts (even though those concepts have been more realistic of recent and the technology is more feasible now). It seems that the embargo is pretty strict as of now (2/4 I'm posting this) with the exception of GMC's Denali XT and a coupel of facelifted Mitsubishis.

against the wall
02-05-2008, 12:01 AM
from memory:

VW Routan
Dodge Challenger
GMC Denali Xt
GMC Sierra Hybrid
Chrysler Sebring/Dodge Avenger interior facelifts (havent heard much so not sure if its still on)
Mitsubishi Eclipse
Mitsubishi Galant
Chevy Traverse
GMC Terrain (different from the Kuwait version---on stretched Theta i believe from what i read)
Acura RL facelift
Hummer H3T
Ford Transit Connect
maybe some other Ford product thats having that closed meeting tonight
Hyundai Sonata
Hyundai Elantra Touring
Porsche Cayenne GTS
Scion Tc RS4.0
Suzuki Equator
YES! Roadster

lol i have a better memory than i thought.

Shomare
02-05-2008, 01:41 AM
Toyota will show a hybrid concept.

against the wall
02-05-2008, 02:24 AM
again? i thought they had nothing planned?

IcedG35
02-05-2008, 02:35 AM
i'm excited for the traverse. hopefully they made it look the "truckiest" out of the 4 to help somewhat differentiate it.

against the wall
02-05-2008, 02:38 AM
from the spyshots it seems its going to be closer to the enclave, in the same way the outlook and acadia look similar but not the buick. hopefully it doesnt have that ugly body colored c-pillar (i cant stand that)

63Bonneville
02-05-2008, 03:06 AM
I'm looking forward to the The Acura RL, the extensive facelift. I thought the TSX would be there, too.
I think one thing that took down the RL was this: the production premiere had nice 20" wheels for show, but when it hit dealers, it merely had 17" rims with no upgrade (it has an 18" option/upgrade now), and that may have been a bit of a let down. I felt disappointed when I saw that, and a representative at a local Auto Expo (Long Island, NY) said that others expressed the same remark; this is when the RL was first released. I felt the RL, for it's class, should have had at least 18" standard and 19" optional.

Another thing, this time with the MDX, is that when it was released, it had a manual day/night inside mirror, which surprised me, especially for the MDX's class, and the auto-dimming day/night mirror was a $400 option, where it had all this sophisticated content standard! Now, Acura wised up and has the auto-dimming inside mirror as standard equipment, which is proper for it's class.

knicks125
02-05-2008, 04:29 AM
again? i thought they had nothing planned?

I think Toyota is just displaying the 1/X concept for North America. No press conference scheduled.

BMW's debut (NA) is Concept 1 series tii

63Bonneville
02-05-2008, 06:33 PM
This thread is a bit quiet, considering that the first press day is tomorrow (2/6/08). Some debuts we already expect, but I hope we get a couple of good surprises or good uplifting news within the corporate conferences or presentations during the premiere days.

himi
02-05-2008, 07:48 PM
Is Kia having any premieres at Chicago?

Mid_STE
02-05-2008, 08:37 PM
http://jalopnik.com/352050/jalopniks-official-2008-chicago-auto-show-cheat-sheet

against the wall
02-05-2008, 09:29 PM
the new lacrosse? really?

63Bonneville
02-06-2008, 04:58 PM
That's what www.jalopnik.com seems to indicate, but I haven't heard anything anywhere else pertaining to the LaCrosse lately.
I hope it' s correct, though.

I've come across it on other sites in the past regarding a LaCrosse debuting at Chicago '08. I hope this doesn't disappoint; I know the current LaCrosse is on an aged chassis which basically premiered in MY1988, and the new generation is to be an a brand new Epsilon II, a follow up to the current Epsilon (the new Malibu and Aura are on the long-wheelbase version of the current Epsilon), but I hope it isn't shrunk or humbled down in comparison to the current LaCrosse, especially now the the current LaCrosse has an upgraded Super edition.

It could also be possible that Jalopnik by error steered us wrong on the LaCrosse premiere.

Shomare
02-10-2008, 05:09 AM
Here's a link to my Chicago photos: http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v227/23shomare/Chicago%20Press%20Preview/

against the wall
02-10-2008, 05:26 AM
just out of curiosity, who do you write for that you have press credentials?

cuisine
02-10-2008, 10:30 PM
i like this little car http://www.autoblog.com/2008/02/07/chicago-2008-international-introduces-the-lonestar-class-8-big/ from chicago :driving:

2b2
02-10-2008, 10:37 PM
Here's a link to my Chicago photos: http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v227/23shomare/Chicago%20Press%20Preview/

Nice
big TY
&
you've got PM ;)