PDA

View Full Version : 4th Generation CSS Revealed

clinton
12-04-2007, 06:17 PM
Hi All

Welcome to the exciting new design for carspyshots.net.

Due to extremely high costs hosting CSS on our previous forum host we have moved the 4th generation site onto a vbulletin powered forum system hosted by worldcarfans.com thus safeguarding the longterm future of the site.

Unfortunately your passwords could not be retrieved from the previous site, therefore all passwords will need to be reset and sent to your account email address. Next week I will make the old forum available for viewing to retrieve any information you may require - keep an eye on this thread for the url.

We have done our utmost to save all data, however you may find your total posts will be different.

PhilipNC
12-05-2007, 07:38 PM
I love the new look, and don't mind having to reregister. keep up the good works guys

anonms
12-05-2007, 07:40 PM
I think HTML needs to be enabled, and there's some timestamp problems, I think.

clinton
12-05-2007, 07:41 PM
Just fixed the timestamp problem

Nick
12-05-2007, 07:42 PM
Ooh...fancy...not sure if I like this skin (hopefully there are some others to choose from) but otherwise, nice update!

PRODIGY
12-05-2007, 07:44 PM
Clinton, were you on the old CSS?

I like the new look, but for ease of use I much prefer the old forums.

Can't seem to upload an avatar either!

Still, i'm sure we'll all get used to it once all the bugs have been ironed out. :)

Ascariss
12-05-2007, 07:47 PM
There is no need to re-register, all you have to do is go to forgot my password which is near the login area, put in your old email from the old forum, and the site will email you a new password.

As far avatars, they have to be 80x80 max in size. Go to User CP, edit avatar option 1 or 2 and click save changes.

Mr. Burns
12-05-2007, 07:54 PM
I don't like the new skin, it's too dark, cold, and lonely. :(

kid
12-05-2007, 07:55 PM
Looks great guys. I just think that there are some HTML errors that need to be fixed. But otherwise CSS to the FUTURE!

Ascariss
12-05-2007, 07:58 PM
Indeed there do be some html errors around

Ben pointed out this one to me

http://www.carspyshots.net/showthread.php?t=2254&page=5

lots of funky stuff going on in that thread.

kid
12-05-2007, 08:14 PM
yea there is :P

clinton
12-05-2007, 08:38 PM
I'll check out those html errors.

I wasn't on the old CSS as a member, just as a browser.

kid
12-05-2007, 08:50 PM
then how did you become an admin?

against the wall
12-05-2007, 08:51 PM
clinton i think i recognize your name for some reason. you were a WCF mod, right?

so far the new site is Ok. its gonna take a while for me to adjust but whatever
my post number should be around 6760 though

anonms
12-05-2007, 08:53 PM
Well, the HTML errors are pretty rampant, actually. In all imported posts, as long as someone was quoted, there's going to be a big HTML mess. I think it may as well be enabled... >.>

erzhik
12-05-2007, 08:56 PM
looks pretty good!

clinton
12-05-2007, 09:02 PM
then how did you become an admin?

I am the Director of Web Development for Black Falcon Media Group - the owner of CSS and worldcarfans.com.

knicks125
12-05-2007, 09:11 PM
clinton i think i recognize your name for some reason. you were a WCF mod, right?

so far the new site is Ok. its gonna take a while for me to adjust but whatever
my post number should be around 6760 though

(Almost) everyone's post counts need to be adjusted. I think it only carried over the actual number of posts from the outgoing platform, and not those we added from previous platforms.

Ascariss
12-05-2007, 09:14 PM
Against the wall, your post count has been adjusted.

against the wall
12-05-2007, 09:18 PM
thank you.
quick question. is there a way to retrieve the sig pics from the last forum or no?

Ascariss
12-05-2007, 09:19 PM
once the old site is back up next, week you can visit it and get the sig back, but in the meantime you can always add a new one, or even add an avatar to spice things up. :D

Ha just found the smilies :P

http://www.carspyshots.net/misc.php?do=showsmilies

anonms
12-05-2007, 09:21 PM
Sigs are disabled (at least, I couldn't embed IMG tags...). Apparently, we're reverted to avatars? D:

knicks125
12-05-2007, 09:22 PM
Sigs are disabled (at least, I couldn't embed IMG tags...). Apparently, we're reverted to avatars? D:

http://www.carspyshots.net/usercp.php

Should be in the first option in user control panel

EDIT: never mind, it's not taking it...

Ascariss
12-05-2007, 09:23 PM
Signature Permissions

Allow Basic BBCode Yes
Allow Color BBCode Yes
Allow Size BBCode Yes
Allow Font BBCode Yes
Allow Alignment BBCode Yes
Allow List BBCode Yes
Allow Link BBCode Yes
Allow HTML No Allow [IMG] Code Yes
Allow Code BBCode Yes
Allow PHP BBCode Yes
Allow HTML BBCode Yes
Allow Quote BBCode Yes
Allow Smilies Yes
Can Upload Images for Signature Yes
Can Upload Animated GIF for Signature Yes

kid
12-05-2007, 09:43 PM
i will need my post count adjusted as well..

i believe it was in the area of 3000 or so?

i can't remember..probably should have written it down..

thanks

VandG
12-05-2007, 10:35 PM
ascariss this is vexed, how long does it take for me to get a new password? I've been waiting for ever...

knicks125
12-05-2007, 10:42 PM
Should be in an instant. Do you have the email address (upon initial registration) correct?

I take it you've re-registered?

VandG
12-05-2007, 10:45 PM
yeah, i reregistered, i've done the password reset like 5 times and i still have yet to receive an email...

Ascariss
12-05-2007, 10:47 PM
I pmed you regarding some info.

VexedandGlorious
12-05-2007, 10:55 PM
I'm in thanks
i though my post count was more than that

car fan and maniac
12-05-2007, 10:56 PM
I am not certain about the new size(format), it is much more complicated to see photos and it is also it drank him(it)!!!

Ascariss
12-05-2007, 11:01 PM
What size format of what? avatars?

Ascariss
12-05-2007, 11:26 PM
Note, signature size has been increase a bit, to 500 x 90 now.

-Reppu-
12-05-2007, 11:39 PM
Hi, as you can see i had to re-register as well. The "forgot your password" method just does not seem to work for me....can something be done

Besides, i like the new look so much, but maybe the fornt size could be increased a bit? Now it's harder to read...

Ascariss
12-05-2007, 11:43 PM
Reppu, check your PM.

antman
12-06-2007, 12:03 AM
I guess I will get used toit, but it seems too busy and cluttered compared to the old. The font for the posts seems smaller and less clear?

clinton
12-06-2007, 12:31 AM
html should be fixed now

silver-arrow
12-06-2007, 12:38 AM
i still get these settings:

Signature Permissions
Allow Basic BBCode Yes
Allow Color BBCode Yes
Allow Size BBCode Yes
Allow Font BBCode Yes
Allow Alignment BBCode Yes
Allow List BBCode Yes
Allow Link BBCode Yes
Allow HTML No

Allow [IMG] Code No
Allow Code BBCode Yes
Allow PHP BBCode Yes
Allow HTML BBCode Yes
Allow Quote BBCode Yes
Allow Smilies Yes
Can Upload Images for Signature No
Can Upload Animated GIF for Signature No

phaeton
12-06-2007, 08:38 PM
Love the new layout guys :eek: (except the black background isn't my taste (:(blue like CSS of old would have been better IMO).

Other than that Congrats to Admin on the move :D

Excelleration
12-09-2007, 07:50 AM
Same here about the re-registering. I tried the "forget password" thing three times on two different computers (WebTV & Nintendo DS Browser), and never got the email. Tried emailing someone about the problem and while doing so kinda wrote a paragraph about how much I preferrred the old CSS over the new one... guess I was irritated about the issue while writing it.

Since I have to babysit the uncle's dog for both Saturday and Sunday, and because I was too impatient to wait until I could go home and check my emails for any replies, I felt like I should just re-register (albeit with a different name) until something occurs where I can go back to being the same old Excellerator I once was. Until then Excelleration is the new name.

The site is not too too bad, but personally I still prefer the old version. Clean, basic, visually pleasing. But hey, at least the new site has some familiar aspects to it. :)

Ahura
12-11-2007, 05:20 AM
I really don't like it. The letters are too small and too close to the leftside (its even worse for the nicknames). There should be a bit more extra room. And I think you have to be able to post a quick reply without clicking on an icon

Mil
12-12-2007, 10:35 PM
A nice change that I wasn't expecting after I came back from a small break O.O

The only thing we need now is an IRC server!

:-)

Ascariss
12-12-2007, 10:45 PM
weee someone else has a signature.

Mil
12-12-2007, 10:47 PM
Also (Yeah, I shouldnt be posting this here :D), I think there should be a slight gap between the Reflection of CAR SPY SHOTS and the actually text itself. Not much, but it's getting on my nerves.

/me hides

Ascariss
12-12-2007, 10:58 PM
Actually we are planning a contest for a new logo :o

kid
12-12-2007, 11:12 PM
oh really...i have got to get in on that :D

driven by design
12-15-2007, 09:37 AM
I have to agree with Ahura, he is right about the text size (which could be bigger), although I think readability has less to do with text size than it does with the clashing color schemes and terribly high contrast. It is far too high contrast ... white text frames against a black background is very harsh on the eyes and makes focusing difficult and even painful after looking at text for a few minutes. If the forum is to go black, all frames should be black as well, or at least a shade of gray. It's all too too hard on the eyes ... there is too much going on. The light blues and neutral tones of the previous forum were gentler on the eyes. It may also just be me, but there are an awful lot of Google Ads; I honestly don't even remember these on the previous forum, not so much because they weren't there (I'm pretty sure they were) but because it wasn't blatantly obvious and intrusive back then like it is now. These ads are appearing where most would expect to find navigation or margin controls. Is this an intentional psychological aspect of the design, perhaps hoping we'll accidentally click an AdSense entry? I'm sorry, but the placement of these ads is just arguably intrusive.

The forum software itself might be improved, but if this was change just for change's sake then it seems a little premature. I think it could use some revision ... it doesn't have to look exactly like the old forum, but the old forum was better laid out and easier to look at than this. If you want to see a good "dark" color board scheme as a good example, check out HardForum (http://www.hardforum.com/) for some inspiration. That's dark and still easy on the eyes because it basically uses two warm colors on a dark background (red and amber against black and gray). This new forum has both warm (yellow/orange) and cold (green/blue) color schemes coexisting on terribly contrasted white and black backgrounds. This board is "figuratively" wonderful to visit, but "literally" painful to look at ... and deserves better.

Mil
12-15-2007, 11:14 AM
I partially agree there driven by design, but I've never liked Invisionfree, and I think phpbb3 just came out (?)

DoMiNo
12-15-2007, 05:59 PM
dbd, we have all voiced our concerns about these issues, but it is what it is; the changes made were literally a matter of keeping the forum open. The increased prominence of advertising on the site is a necessary way to keep it afloat. This board was expensive, and it wasn't generating nearly enough in ad revenue to offset hosting costs. Thankfully that has already changed, even though the ads may be a bit more intrusive. We just have to deal with them.

I agree completely about the color scheme. Sadly, the powers that be indicate that a change is not possible in the short term.

PRODIGY
12-15-2007, 06:02 PM
I don't get why people are moaning about the font size..

you can change it...

look, bigger letters!

I'm on the intermediate level out of the 3 posting options, not sure if you can change font size on the basic one.

driven by design
12-15-2007, 06:17 PM
CSS: Yes, we can change font size. That is not the point. Just because there is an ability to post in bigger letters does not mean everyone is going to conform to a "let's just post in BIGGER LETTERS" standard. Are you going to start posting "on the intermediate level of the 3 posting options" all the time? Probably not, so what are you getting at?

PRODIGY
12-15-2007, 06:39 PM
CSS: Yes, we can change font size. That is not the point. Just because there is an ability to post in bigger letters does not mean everyone is going to conform to a "let's just post in BIGGER LETTERS" standard. Are you going to start posting "on the intermediate level of the 3 posting options" all the time? Probably not, so what are you getting at?

I wasn't getting at anything particulary. i just wondered if you can change fonts on the basic level, and I wondered if everyone knew that you can change font size.

Yes, I do post on the intermediate level all the time. It's set as my default, so to post on a basic level would mean changing my settings.

I agree with you about the colours partially... I much prefer the old blue colour, and the old layout. But if it's true that we had to change or face the prospect of having no CSS at all then i'm happy to have the new forum.

Sorry driven by design, I guess my post sounded quite arrogant, but it wasn't meant to be!

Ascariss
12-15-2007, 07:00 PM
It may also just be me, but there are an awful lot of Google Ads; I honestly don't even remember these on the previous forum, not so much because they weren't there (I'm pretty sure they were) but because it wasn't blatantly obvious and intrusive back then like it is now. These ads are appearing where most would expect to find navigation or margin controls. Is this an intentional psychological aspect of the design, perhaps hoping we'll accidentally click an AdSense entry? I'm sorry, but the placement of these ads is just arguably intrusive.

If you care to donate the entire operating funds for the site for an entire year, then the ads will be removed, a lot of hard work, time and money has gone into keeping CSS online and it appears most people take it for granted that CSS will always be here. Truth be told, that isn't the case. If it wasn't for this move the site wouldn't be online anymore.

If anyone else wants to complain about the ads fine but you only have 2 options, either put up the cash for hosting or shut up.

2b2
12-16-2007, 01:28 AM
Actually we are planning a contest for a new logo :o

Cool!
When/before it happens, would you post the name of the font that's used now?
I played around with an idea but didn't have the right one.
CSS4.gif quickie logo (http://home.surfree.com/~pauld/CSS4.gif)
(oh, and of course the size requirement/limit)